Opportunity

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by krhrvey44, Mar 22, 2021.

1. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Mar 22, 2021

I am a career switcher and have an opportunity at a school that wants me to start in April. The plan is to bring me in starting mid April and for next year. I am current working for a company that I have been with for 15+ years. I think it is a good opportunity but also nervous jumping in this late in the year. Does this seem like a good option this late in the year? My concern is that come June they may say thanks for your time and I am out of a job & still no teaching license.

3. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Mar 24, 2021

Any questions I should ask P? Just a little nervous starting this late in the year without guarantee of next year.

4. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Mar 24, 2021

Of it was me, I'd look at it as if it were any other contract. If you have a contract that covers next year, you have a contract covering next year. If you don't, you aren't assured you will have one. In other words, if they aren't willing to sign on the dotted line for next year now, you don't have a job for next year.

I suppose that's the same for the company you're at right now. Probably at will employment, right? So, by custom, you are assured two weeks pay, done. But after 15 years, how likely is layoff from your current company?

5. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Mar 25, 2021

I talked to the HR rep. and said its for remainder of this year. It would be for next year if you are recommended by the P. Seems like a good school & courses but would be tough coming in at the end of the year when students have had a Sub for several months. Being a career switcher it is hard to get your foot in the door.
    I am at will now and could be gone tomorrow but feel a little more secure.

6. CaliforniaRPCV

CaliforniaRPCV Comrade

Mar 26, 2021

Yeah. Got ya. My foot isn't likely to get in any door.

7. tuankiet153

tuankiet153 Rookie

Mar 27, 2021

It is really tought to take over the class when the school is out 2 months from now. The contract is based on the P recommendation. So, before you make a decision, ask them first to secure your job for next year.

8. krhrvey44

krhrvey44 Rookie

Mar 28, 2021

tuankiet I agree, students have had a sub since Jan. and will be getting spring fever.
    The HR rep. said I would be in that position if I am recommended for next year. Should I ask P what I need to do to secure the position for next year?