Opportunity in the Middle East

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WierdScience, Mar 5, 2012.

1. WierdScience

WierdScience New Member

Mar 5, 2012

Has anyone worked or been to Dubai? I just got a good offer from an IB school. I have to let them know by March 20, and I don't know anyone who has even been there. Looks interesting and the school looks amazing. I feel nervous.

3. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

A friend was offered a job in the Middle East but when she did some research on the school there were all sorts of 'politics' being played by the Principal, Admin and teachers. She declined the post. I think she found a website in which teachers (ex-teachers) say what they really think of a school and the general consensus was that it was not a good place to be.

A friend taught in Dubai, he had a blast of a time. I've personally known teachers who only teach in international schools and have made it their career to do so as the travel opportunities were limitless.

Check out everything from tax, airfares (we could fly anywhere so long as we were within the cost of an airfare home, a costlier flight meant we had to pay the extra), accommodation, provision of bottled water, health insurance, shipping allowance (there and back), car allowance, etc.

You will never know unless you go. Plus travel is an education in itself.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Mar 5, 2012

Dubai is one of my top choices for teaching abroad (once I earn my certification...heh, I'm planning ahead). How did you get the job offer? I monitor some of the international school sites like TIE, ISS, and the DoD. Any advice you could share would be greatly appreciated!

5. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Mar 5, 2012

I live in Abu Dhabi- have been here for two years. Dubai is fantastic but this culture is not for everyone. That being said, Dubai is a lot less conservative than Abu Dhabi and where a great many of the expats live. I'll send you a message.