Opportunities knocking, but is one right?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by msrosie, Jun 25, 2015.

1. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I was offered a position at a school teaching upper elementary, sixth grade. My gut is telling me not to take this position for a variety of reasons, but partly because I originally interviewed for self contained fourth, they just thought I'd be a better fit with 6th.

Add to that, the school I spent most of last year at just opened up a kindergarten positon. It's not a guarantee that I'd get it, but a pretty good chance because everyone, even the p and ap, wanted me back for the upcoming school year they just didn't have any openings at the time.

My gut tells me to pass on the other job for so many reasons, but I'm worried because if I pass on it and I don't get the other one, I might be out of luck.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Jun 25, 2015

If you think you'd be miserable, then I'd pass. Unless the job market is tough there. Its a tough choice.

4. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

I always advocate going with one's gut. That said, I wouldn't pass up an opportunity strictly because I was placed in a different grade-level than I had hoped for. They might have had a gut feeling, too, one telling them that that is where you would fit best. I know you said that is not the only reason, so, in the end, follow your gut.

5. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I don't think I'd be miserable. Just not super happy because so much of my volunteer and sub experience and work during undergrad was with lowe levels and I never really intended to go past 5th grade.

I just happen to be ele/middle level certified.

The market is tight here, but not impossible if you're really working it.

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 25, 2015

I get that.

However, I've heard so many stories from people, both in real life and on this board, who ended up in a grade or subject they never imagined teaching and ended up being happier than they ever thought they could be. I will also say, after having gained some experience in a couple different schools, I would teach anything I was asked to teach (any grade, any subject, sped or regular ed), so long as I was happy with the admin and my colleagues. I've learned that WHAT you teach isn't as important as WHO you teach with. So, if you like the people you'd be working with, particularly the principal, don't let the fact that it's not your first choice of grade levels stop you. You may love it, and, if you don't, you can talk to the principal about switching grades the following year. At least you'd have a job in a school with good people in the meantime.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 25, 2015

If I had to choose between fourth and sixth, it would matter, but for different reasons. Fourth is starting to get hormonal and not wanting to have to act just like the younger kids, and sixth isn't much different, EXCEPT, they are a little more comfortable in their own skins, which allows them to be sweet, goofy, funny, and less afraid to take leaps of faith when you are teaching them. You will have a couple like this in fourth, some that are very uncomfortable with the hormonal stuff, and others that still want to be the little kids. In my experience, they are a hot mess, and I wouldn't go back to them for all the tea in China. Give me sixth, and I am a happy camper.

All of that said, if you have never really worked with sixth because of some preconceived notion, then you should do those sixth graders a favor and decline, letting them find someone who appreciates them for all of the goofy fun that they are. That is no reflection on your skills. We all have grades we know we are not cut out for, and for me it is the "itty-bitties" - PreK-1. Again, not for any amount of money! I run out of patience wiping runny noses, tying shoe laces, and having to guide almost every step they take. However, I should point out that I came to realize this about myself because I DID work with them, so it is my experience that tells me they aren't for me.

If you have never tried sixth, how do you know you wouldn't like them? Just curious, actually.

8. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

I used to work in daycare with the little ones (toddlers & 2-year-olds) and I always swore I would never work in Preschool or Pre-K because those kids always looked crazy and mouthy... but somehow I ended up in Pre-K and absolutely loved it! And now they are my favorite age! I'd go up to mid-elementary but never below the Pre-K level.

9. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I did a lot of volunteer and church nursery and youth group work with pre-k students and I LOVE them! I love how excited so many of them are to experience school. Once you get past the missing the parents thing that is.

I never said I didn't think I'd like them. 6th grade is a challege, but they're not bad. I learned that first hand during a practicum stint in 6th grade and while subbing in several 6th grade classrooms.
    Through subbing, tutoring, and volunteer work, I've worked with students prek-8th grade. So I have a little bit of experiece at a lot of levels.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

I was trying to say you never know unless you try, BUT it looks like you've already worked with 6th graders before.

I would go with the one you love because life is too short to go with a "safer" choice.
    I am actually in a similar situation. I have an offer already (I said I was interested but haven't signed any paperwork or anything) but now I have a potential/not 100% sure offer from another school that I would want MORE. And I don't want to turn down the first offer and end up not getting the 2nd one either. But I also don't want to accept the first offer and then a month later say "just kidding! I found a better job" because I can not burn bridges in this small town!

11. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

My offer is in a different town, so I'd end up moving all the way across the state, which ya'know is scary. But the same with you, I don't want to burn bridges there because there are always opening in the district that the position was offered in and mid year or next year if need be, I could reapply there.

And the not 100% but pretty sure opportunity is in my community. In my home district. So I want to let the not 100% pan out.

12. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jun 25, 2015

So it looks like we are the exact same situation. I can't help you that much since I'm trying to get people to help me with the same problem! Ha!

13. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

I think you helped more than you relaize. Everyone did. It's so helpful to have a place to write out what's going on in my head because just leaving the decision in my head it's like I was spinning my wheels.

I think you should go with what feels right. Maybe it's the romantic in me, but if you think it's better for you the possible is better than the guarnetee.

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2015

How long will it take for you to find out if you will be offered the K job?

15. msrosie

msrosie Rookie

Jun 25, 2015

A couple weeks.

16. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 25, 2015

So, you have to let the offering school know if you will accept before the other school comes back with their offer. Tough situation. In that case, I would probably take the bird in hand, since you say it is not something that you would really dislike.The school offering the 6th grade position must have seen something in you that shows you will relate well to students of that age.

Personally, I would run, not walk to a 6th grade class rather than a K class. I love the independence and wacky wits of older children.