Opinions Sought

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by JimG, Sep 22, 2019.

1. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 22, 2019

Tomorrow is the first day of fall! Is it too early to wear my Halloween tie?!?! Maybe I should hold off until October 1st, but how can you not love being able to wear something with ghosts and jack o lanterns and witches as part of professional attire?

Backroads and Tired Teacher like this.
  3. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 22, 2019

Don't be a Sam's Club - which has had the Halloween decorations out all month - wait until Oct. 1. Yes, I love Halloween decorations, but if we rush every month's holidays, you don't get a full month of use out of them. Just kidding - September gets the fall leaves, Halloween gets everything you mentioned, then there is that transition into November when those pumpkins turn into pumpkin pies, etc. Nice to know you enjoy the holidays!

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 22, 2019

I got a tree with colorful leaves and a pumpkin on my nails Friday. It seemed like fall without being too much. It’s still in the 90’s here, so it doesn’t feel much like fall.

I always wait until after our fall break (mid October) for anything Halloween related.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 22, 2019

Am I the only one who likes to dress professionally, but to wear silly ties?! For example, I frequently dress in business attire or business casual with nice shoes, but I like to annoy my coworkers by wearing Pokémon ties and other brightly-colored ties. It’s great fun!

JimG likes this.
  6. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 22, 2019

I too like silly ties. My favorite is after a snow break, I will wear a tie that has a snow man missing his entire left side with a voice bubble that says, “Snow Plow...” The other snowman on it says, “Well, you’re all right now!” :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Sep 22, 2019

Hahaha! Love it!

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 22, 2019

I am 100% against neckties, but if I ever wore one, it'd have to match my ensemble. They are not healthy for daily use. I have found that not wearing ties has limited the number of headaches I get.

vickilyn and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 22, 2019

It's too early.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 23, 2019

So, I thought about this last year. I remember when I was a kid, Halloween stuff was up for about a week, then we'd have generic fall stuff, then Thanksgiving, and sometimes not even start Christmas decorations until we'd been back from Thanksgiving break for a week, or December.

Kids are overloaded with it now! If you go into Walmart right now, there's Halloween and Thanksgiving stuff out. At craft stores it's also Christmas. Like, there's never any time that's just a normal time anymore. Kids have this constant stimulation, and I don't think it's healthy for them.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 23, 2019

[​IMG] I would find a fall tie with some leaves or something and save the Halloween ties for October.

JimG and MissCeliaB like this.
  12. JimG

JimG Comrade

Sep 23, 2019

Well, I didn’t do it today. However, I did see a truck with a skeleton hanging in front of it’s grill, so I guess I am not the only one who thought it might be time to get into the Halloween spirit.

Tired Teacher likes this.
  13. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Cohort

Sep 28, 2019

I'd be patient too. Just a few more days until October and then go for it! :)

14. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Sep 30, 2019

If you've been restrained up until this point, Tuesday will be your "Go for it" day with all of your October ties ready to go. I know I sound constrained, but there was a time that I had dresses for everything. Got tired of dresses, though, and now I just have to settle for the seasonal top to go with my slacks. I'm very glad I don't have to wear ties, although my son doesn't seem to mind.