Opinions sought on snow days

Discussion in 'General Education' started by GTB4GT, Feb 16, 2021.

1. GTB4GT

GTB4GT Cohort

Feb 16, 2021

My school is off the next 4 days due to weather. I live in an area where we have lost 2 days to snow and ice in the previous 3 years I have lived here. Because of COVID, all of our kids have the technology and resources to do remote or virtual learning. So, we will be taking today off for prep and then doing 100% remote learning the balance of the week.

I somehow find this strangly sad and depressing. During "normal" times I am as gung-ho as anyone when it comes to pushing and challenging my students. But, on the other hand, I am saddened that these kids don't have the chance to be kids anymore. I say snow days (at least where I live) are rare and unusual. I think kids are better served be being given the opportunity to go outside and enjoy it. We have 7-8 inches of snow, something that occurs about once every 10-15 years around here. It may be thier first and only chance to enjoy this as a youngster. FWIW, I teach high school not that it really matters.

Just curious what the rest of you think on this. Are the kids better served by getting a rare break? Or by sticking to the curriculum/schedule?

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Feb 16, 2021

This new idea that a snow day can now be turned into a remote learning day is a joke. If I get half to participate it's a miracle and 25% of the work I DO GET is half-assed. I spend the rest of the week chasing down missing work and finding alternative assignments for half the class while the others (who's parents did not help their kids make an attempt) get caught up. It's more hassle than it's worth.

Let the kids have their snow day. I'd rather go an extra day at the end of the year and play Kahoot to pass the time. Much easier.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  4. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Feb 16, 2021

We don't get many, but when we do, I take full advantage of them. Netflix, snacks, sleep and more snacks! And since we're virtual right now, no make up days!

5. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Feb 16, 2021

So glad I got all of my snacks a few days ago. Ground layered in snow and just waiting on the "we're still virtual" call.

Education at times has its benefits!

6. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Companion

Feb 16, 2021

I live in a snowy place and we have had up to 9 snow days a year before. Even this year, we are doing true snow days (I have one today, actually) and not remote learning. We were told it's mainly because if you call it remote learning, you have to provide meals to students that day. I guess our district didn't want to have to coordinate that. Most districts around me are doing remote learning today or a "virtual staff institute."

I am totally fine with having a couple true snow days. I will say, the years we get 7-9 of them, I wish we could do maybe 5 snow days and then beyond 5, do remote learning so we aren't going into June.

7. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

LimaUniformNovemberAlpha Rookie

Feb 16, 2021

I thought this was going to be about how idiotic the school board's standards are of when to close or not close the schools. The weather office is forecasting a huge snowstorm to start after the bus drops kids off at school, but before the bus comes to pick them up FROM school? Do you intend to leave the kids at school overnight? No? Do you doubt the forecasters? No? Did you not even bother to check the forecast?

All this stuff makes me wish there were some snowstorm-themed homework activity that could incorporate snow into it. A calorimetry assignment where you have a candle under a can of snow and see how long it takes to boil? A comparison of front yard and back yard snow compression strength from how deep an imprint you make when you go snow diving? Why should playing in the snow and learning the material be mutually exclusive? Having used to work for this system, I'm now more skeptical of it, not less.

8. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Feb 16, 2021

Let 'em have a snow day. Where I am, the power lines are notoriously touchy, so there's no guarantee that the kids would have electric and internet to do distance learning, especially not synchronous. I've kept power in general with this storm, but it has flickered and internet re-set itself. Streaming has been glitchy and laggy.

Oh, you mean like what happened to my mom and aunt in the blizzard of '67? The kids all got on the city buses to go home from high school and their bus got stuck/stranded. They talked to people they knew on the bus and figured out who lived closest and all walked to that girl's house to call their parents. One or two were able to get picked up, but that girl's parents ended up sheltering half a dozen kids until the storm stopped the next day. That next day was the only time they ever got a snow day in Chicago.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2021

We call it an asynchronous remote day, and any work assigned tends to be easy and work in name only. Most teachers call it a mental health day. Do I mind? No - doing it this way keeps the kids from having to add extra days at the end of the school year, and the students have control over when they choose to do the work, resulting in them being in control of how their day plays out.

Backroads, mrsf70 and a2z like this.
  10. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2021

Snow Day!!!! With such a rare event they deserve to have some fun. Most probably don't remember the last time it snowed and they probably have never seen so much. It is a "learning" experience in itself.

Backroads and readingrules12 like this.
  11. Aces

Aces Devotee

Feb 16, 2021

Let ‘em have the snow day. They deserve it.

12. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Feb 17, 2021

Probably out the rest of the week. Food and sleep here I come.

13. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Feb 18, 2021

How's everyone enjoying their snow week?

14. Aces

Aces Devotee

Feb 18, 2021

Not too great actually. I slipped on the drive way and fractured my wrist. Plus my leg is now hurting more than it already was.

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 18, 2021

:hugs:

16. Aces

Aces Devotee

Feb 18, 2021

Heh thanks I’ll be ok though. Just reminding me I’m older than what I like to think sometimes!

17. emiliaroyals

emiliaroyals Rookie

Feb 19, 2021

td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}Personally, I love being able to play all day with my kids on such days:eek: Apart from the fact it only happens in winter? Plus they need just 3 days to max their grades. (plus who cares about that anyway, it’s not like they can’t go to university with lower grades;)) I agree with people who dislike the mandatory 3 days maternity leave because that really hinders females’ careers (like my friend who works at https://thewordpoint.com/services/certified/technical-manuals ). But schoolkids are just fine having a day off every now and then, it means you can play them instead of waving them goodbye, miss them all day and when they get back they have to do homework. “My kids lost so much disappearing in a rabbithole time, I actually had to play them!” First time I see that mentioned as a downside:D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  18. whizkid

whizkid Groupie

Feb 19, 2021

This has been the best winter break ever!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Feb 19, 2021

We are an area where a little snow causes a lot of issues. We have very few resources for snow removal and curvy, mountain roads.

We have missed up to 23 days in a year due to snow or flooding. One year we missed 1 day, and it was weird. Usually we miss 8 or 10.

This year we have had three actual snow days because of areas without electricity. Other days have been switched to virtual learning days. (We have been virtual almost all year anyway.).

It would be okay if we didn’t have to do a separate assignment for a snow day. Making us take a break from regular work is silly.

20. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 19, 2021

It's also worth noting that, if your course has a standardized test (which it should, to the level of government issuing the curriculum, though one test shouldn't be worth half the grade) then all snow days do is increase the pile of work that has to be done later on. In the interest of student safety for in-person schooling it's more than justified, but in the interest of giving teachers of other courses their fix of nostalgia for the way things used to be pre-pandemic? Not exactly.

Say... this gives me a good idea for a homemade editorial cartoon. If I can't get it in GIF form by tonight, please remind me tomorrow!

21. Aces

Aces Devotee

Feb 19, 2021

I disagree. Kids need mental days too. It’s an odd thing but I can personally attest that sometimes after a snow day, an extra random day off that wasn’t expected, students come back with a little more energy. Ready to learn.

22. LimaUniformNovemberAlpha

Feb 19, 2021

If a "random day off" makes 5 hours' worth of difference in ability to prepare for the final exam, then something is seriously wrong with the education system's lesson pacing and it needs to be re-evaluated.

EDIT: Anyway, without further ado, my homemade editorial cartoon, as promised.

[​IMG]

Snowplow imagery taken from the Rick Mercer Report. Used without permission, but being that it's only a couple seconds' worth of footage and used for commentary I'm guessing it falls under fair use. Feel free to delete this and let me know if not.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  23. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Feb 20, 2021

Since it only snows there every 10-15 yrs, I think the kids need a snow day!
    Everyone should experience making snow angels, snowmen, and forts.

24. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Feb 23, 2021

I agree that snow days should be considered special and kids should play, especially in a place where it only snows that much every 10-15 years. I hate makeup days though so I have mixed feelings on the topic. If it’s a real snow day, I’d definitely vote to cancel. I come from a place where “snow days” often only mean it’s too icy to drive. In that case, I might prefer virtual learning to losing a day of summer. There is magic, though, in getting a bonus day off as a child. My most preferred option would be day off, no makeup day.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 23, 2021

I got lucky because we had winter break anyway! I loved being home!

26. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Feb 23, 2021

This is all very dependent on your area. I live in an area where snow is common (northern Minnesota), but also in a rural area where internet isn't available to 100% of the population. We have not had a snow day yet this year, but when we have them due to the snow it isn't uncommon for areas to lose power as well due to the snow on the lines. Our school keeps talking about "e-learning" days, but then turns around and says to send home packets for kids to do on potential snow days (so busy work, not necessarily related to what is currently being studied in school). I am very conflicted, because if it is just busy work then let's just let the kids be kids and enjoy the new snow.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 23, 2021

That's a good point.My area is known for losing power during every storm. I'm fortunate to have 2 generators but I know most people do not.

28. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Feb 23, 2021

Our governor declared an SOE so I guess the 5 days we were out won't be made up. This along with covid quarantines for different sorts of school kids has made this another lost year....