Opinions Please: Is this rule too strict/ridiculous?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Moogeeg, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Mar 7, 2015

Hello, all!

I am finally entering the third trimester of my first year of teaching! Overall, I have learned a lot so far and have been enjoying myself, but I know I need to toughen up and rethink some of my policies and procedures.

I had one class in particular during this last trimester that drove me nuts- they were all freshmen and I had 36 of them. They were all great kids on their own, but were simply too chatty as a group. Once they entered my room before class (6 minute passing time), they would walk around, socialize, and just generally make it difficult to establish a learning atmosphere once the bell would actually ring.

Is it completely ridiculous to make a rule that students MUST find their seats and begin working as soon as they enter the room (even if there are 2 minutes remaining of passing time?). I am considering telling students that they are not to enter the room before the bell rings if they are not prepared to sit down immediately and work.

What do you think? Is this unreasonable/difficult to enforce? Does anyone have a similar policy or a different approach?

Thanks!

3. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 7, 2015

I don't have that policy because I do think the kids need that little bit of down time. However, I know many who do have a similar policy and it seems to work fine.

4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 7, 2015

I have that policy in my class. It is very hard to enforce. I pull students out who are talking/out of their seat during this time almost every day. I have students who do it repeatedly come in at lunch.

It's a little bit easier than past years though because I had this rule from the beginning of the year.

I tell them, that when they enter my classroom, they are entering an environment of learning where the rule of respecting learning applies and allowing other students to focus on the kick off without distraction is a part of that respect.

I do tell them that if they want to continue their conversations, that they do so out in the hall way and not in the classroom. They don't have to enter immediately if they don't want to. (although I do expect them to start coming in at the 1 minute bell).

5. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 7, 2015

Actually, that's a really good idea. If they want to socialize before class, then they can do it in the halls outside the door. Make sure you give them a 30 second, or 1 minute warning so they don't end up tardy. Also, have bell work that encourages them to come in and sit down so they can get an early start.

6. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Mar 7, 2015

I agree about kids needing downtime. In most groups, I wouldn't even consider making such a rule. It is only with the most rambunctious classes that I think this might be a solution to some of the problems.

I have the bellwork, but I definitely haven't done a good enough job of establishing a respectful learning environment once kids walk through the door. I like the idea of keeping socializing in the hallway. I will try this once the trimester starts this coming week!

Thank you all.

7. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Mar 8, 2015

I don't think this rule is too strict but if I were in your shoes I would just have them enter your classroom at the bell and stay out in the hall until then. Give them one minute on a timer to get settled in. If they are not settled by then have them come after school for 5 minutes (just enough time to make a point but not so much as to be overly punitive). They will soon figure out if they need more time than that to settle. I think that if you have them come in to your room before the second bell rings you will be fighting an uphill battle because they are freshmen with a lot of energy.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 8, 2015

That's my policy. They deal with it because that's the way I want it.

9. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 8, 2015

Actually this is a really good policy. You need to make your classroom a learning environment, that is different from the hallways, they can socialize outside of it, but be quiet and focus on learning inside.

Have a warm up (or also called bellringer) ready for them at the door. When my students come in, they know they have to take a piece of paper from the tray by the door (sometimes something is printed on them, other times it's just lined paper, with instructions on the powerpoint slides on the board). This helps them see that they must sit down, and get to work as soon as they enter.
    Have it as a policy starting Monday, and tell them, when they come in, there is no more talking, socializing or standing around. 6 minutes pass time is plenty for that (at my school they get a minute). They sit and work. If they're out of their seat when the bell rings, mark them tardy. It will take a few days, maybe even a week to have them really trained, but every day should be better.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 9, 2015

I always had a 1 minute song ready. When I was 1 minute away from starting, I would play the song and when it was over it was go time.

This was also handy if I had to step out or take a call or something. It's a clear audible signal that it's time to start.