Opinions on M.Ed. Project

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Beth2004, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 16, 2010

I'm currently in my final graduate class and working on my portfolio that I need to present in order to receive my M.Ed. I need to demonstrate that I've met all of the professional standards and I'm not sure if the evidence I'm using actually demonstrates mastery of the standard I'm working on.

Here is the standard I'm working on:

Standard B-Delivers Effective Instruction
    Substandard 4: Communicates high standards and expectations when evaluating student learning:

a. Accurately measures student achievement of, and progress toward, the learning objectives with a variety of formal and informal assessments, and uses results to plan further instruction.

b. Translates evaluations of student work into records that accurately convey the level of student achievement to students, parents or guardians, and school personnel.

Do you think that describing the reading assessments that I use and how I use that data (along with conference notes and observations) to form guided reading groups demonstrates that standard?

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 16, 2010

Sounds good. But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I've seen what passes for a competent portfolio and realized that the effort I put into mine was way more than was needed. If you're like me you want to the absolute best you can and get it all perfect for presentation. My committee was much more concerned about my in-class experience and how pretty (and tech-savy) my presentation was than the content. Just be confident in what you do have and prepare yourself for discussion on it and you'll be fine.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Oct 16, 2010

Thanks for the feedback.

I think you're right about the portfolio. I keep trying to tell myself that they really won't spend a ton of time looking at it because the oral exam/interview is only 45 minutes and they'll spend all of that time talking to me about my classroom practices.