Opinions on Classroom Structure

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by ksmomy, Jun 24, 2014.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 24, 2014

I just moved into a new Pre-K classroom. The teacher in this class left unexpectedly before all of the kids in the class left for kindergarten so some of them are still there. These kids do not appear to have had a lot of structure and just kind of wander/run around the room, they are constantly running around with bare feet, among other things. My question is do I just grin and bear it for the next month and implement new rules with a new class or do I try to change the rules on them this late in the game? The assistant who has been with them all along is still there and I don't want to step on toes either. Am I being too strict to want them to keep their shoes on? I just don't feel it is sanitary. I do tell them if they are in dramatic play they should have on dress up shoes or their own shoes. Otherwise I feel they should have their shoes on even at nap time. That has been the rule at my other schools so it is just what I'm used to. Opinions?

3. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jun 25, 2014

They should certainly have their shoes on. If there was a fire alarm, there would be no time to put everybody's shoes on. It's a safety issue.

As for consequences, I wouldn't give any at this point since you only have another month. Just keep reminding them to keep their shoes on. Next class, you can set the rules.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 25, 2014

I agree with Rox, wearing shoes is usually a fire safety thing. They should be able to handle it okay. After all, they'll wear shoes in kindergarten.

5. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jun 26, 2014

Thanks so much for your opinions. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't being too harsh.