Opinions on BrainPOP?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by john14, Mar 8, 2014.

1. john14

john14 New Member

Mar 8, 2014

Hello everyone

I teach at an underprivileged school here in Montreal and we're thinking of investing some of our scarce resources in BrainPOP. I'm curious to know other educators' opinions about it.

Because of its price, is it the sort of thing that mainly wealthier families would use?

What sort of pupil uses BrainPOP? All types, or primarily just the more knowledge-focused ones? Is it considered 'geeky'?

Do other teachers find that it represents good value for money?

Any and all opinions appreciated!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 8, 2014

My school has and most teacher's use both brain pop and brain pop jr. Different teachers use it in different ways, but i can tell you that kids are engaged by the videos and thet the information presented is informative ans appropriate. Why don't you check out some of the free resources at brain pop first before deciding on whether to purchase?

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

I love it! I use brainpopjr all the time. I use it to introduce a topic, sometimes to wrap it up (you can stop and answer the questions), and sometimes to review a topic we covered earlier in the year. I use it whole group, but when the kids see the app on iPods/iPads, they click on it and use it. I would encourage any school to use it for all pupils.

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 8, 2014

My school doesn't have it. Some of my parents have subscribed to it completely independently. Truthfully, I think it's very overpriced, though it does seem engaging for the kids.

6. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 8, 2014

The county pays for each school to have 2 accounts; a teacher one and a student one. I only used it when I taught science. I don't really use it for math, English, or social studies.

7. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Apr 12, 2014

I don't know how much my students would actually get from using it at home. But it's nice to have to watch a video once in awhile in the the classroom. They have a lot of different topics and my students enjoy them.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2014

I've used it to show videos in class, but I've never had student accounts.
    As mentioned above, I used it to introduce, reinforce, or culminate a topic we learned about.

9. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2014

Me too. I taught 3rd grade gen ed. last year and my subscription was totally worth the price. I used it in the same way giraffe mentioned. I don't know that it would really be helpful for kids to have subscriptions to watch at home.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 12, 2014

I love it, but I've only ever used it whole group. All of our students really love it. We do not have logins for students or families. The type of subscription we have only allows access during school hours, so I can't even access it in the evenings at home.

11. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 12, 2014

I use it, usually as a review for a particular topic. The kids actually like it a lot.

12. john14

john14 New Member

Apr 13, 2014

Thanks for everyone's replies! Very helpful. There's a new educational app coming out called 'Mworld' ('MWorld'?) that a colleague of mine was play-testing. He thinks it's even better than BrainPOP, so we might hold out till it hits the market then compare the two.

13. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

Apr 17, 2014

I actually used BrainPOP when I was a student in middle school and even in the very beginning of high school for review, and I've got to say, I always found it very helpful and worthwhile! Our school only purchased one teacher account and one student account, but gave all of the students the login information, so we could use it from home, not just at school. They weren't considered 'nerdy' at all, either! Everyone used them and had different topics that interested them more. Some of the videos weren't much help to me, but others were fantastic. I've always thought they'd have been great in elementary, too.

I can't say I have any experience using them in a classroom, but I did nanny some second and third graders for a few years, and I actually did use a few of the free videos from BrainPOP to help them understand a homework concept they were having issues with. They loved it!

Haven't heard anything about Mworld, though, so I can't comment there.

14. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

May 11, 2014

John14, if you would like to preview Brainpop, there is a little trick. Just Google "brainpop password". Somebody somewhere has made theirs public. What I love about BrainPop in the classroom is that it gets to the point quickly and remains engaging. The kids I work with love it.

15. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

May 12, 2014

My 4th graders love it. It's great for reviewing students' prior knowledge and giving very relevant, kid-friendly information on a subject. They also get excited about taking the quizzes and reviewing the vocabulary. I have used it SO MANY times this year!

Only the teachers have access here, and I don't know if many families would really use it at home. My school is also underprivileged, and most students don't have internet access anyway.

I would NOT consider it geeky, at least at the elementary level. The higher level videos are also done very well so that they are funny and not overly silly. I've never seen kids not want to watch it before.

16. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Jun 15, 2014

I use it and love it. It includes quizzes at the end of each lesson. They can be done independently or as a class. We usually review together. I ususally use it on DAy 2 for a quick review.