Opinions on a Powerschool/Parent Issue

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by Lindsay.Lou, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 16, 2012

Leaving things to the end of the week I can see as a good choice, but leaving student work graded for a month, I honestly cannot support. There is no reason why an assignment should sit in your briefcase that long. By the time the student gets it back its completely irrelevant and unhelpful. I am talking about absent work as I do not regularly take late work (my students are allowed 2 late works a term).

I said I would not support a teacher holding onto an assignment for a month and not grading it simply because it was turned in absent or late. Holding onto an assignment for a month from a parent and an administrator's view. I never said I would support bad student behavior. However, look at it from the outside if your child was absent and the work took a month to be graded and he had a failing grade for a month, how angry would you be? I see it just as if I waited a month to return your evaluation simply because we had to reschedule a few days later. That would be entirely unprofessional and LAZY on my part.

I teach two courses a day and am a Principal of a School, so trust me I do not need to be reminded about the work load a teacher has.

2. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 16, 2012

He didn't. He said late work should be graded IMMEDIATELY, else the teacher would be lazy and unprofessional. I was asking for clarification. Since immediately means right THEN, it would mean I would have to push other tasks that require my immediate attention to the side. I do not want to be considered lazy or unprofessional by my administration but I simply cannot provide constructive feedback on an assignment AND do all of the other assigned tasks I have at the same time. Something would have to go. Obviously late work is more of a priority to Brendan than the other tasks by his statements. Again, I wanted clarification.

3. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jan 16, 2012

By immediately, I should have said within a week or two at the most. Personally, I would take it home and grade it that night or after school or during my prep. I hold evaluating ALL student work as one of my biggest priorities as do all my teachers.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 16, 2012

Thank you for clarifying.

I do take work home from time to time and I always stay late. There is usually a pocket of 30 minutes or so that allows me to grade late work within a week's time.

5. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 16, 2012

We have Skyward which means both students and parents have 24 hour access to the grades and they still act shocked, just shocked when they get notification that the student is failing due to poor performance or missing work. I contact twice per six weeks: once the week before progress reports go out and once the week before reports go out. I don't specifically contact for missing assignments, but rather because the student is in danger of failing (has a 75 or below right before reports).

As far as grading, I try to get papers graded and submitted ASAP, but as far as getting them back to the students, it's been a struggle because I have many students who will literally skip class on the day of a quiz or test and wait for the other students to get their quiz/ test back, study that and then come in for their quiz or test which I have to give them full credit on it. Well, clearly the answer is, duh, have multiple versions, but it took me a while to figure out how to do that without creating tons of work for myself. So students would see the quiz, but I'd take it back up and have to hold on to it until the end of the six weeks. Sounds dumb, but it took me a while to think of an alternative.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 16, 2012

My students never get their tests back. They are welcome to come and look it over but they will not be able to take it home with them. Our cluster uses the same tests so it would impact hundreds of students and several teachers.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 16, 2012

I don't give the same test for any two class periods. I don't think it's fair.

The first class is taken by surprise at the questions. Inevitably, some of the kids in that class talk to kids in the other classes. So the later in the day it gets, the more information that's out there as to the test questions. After a while, you're not testing on WHAT you know, you're testing on WHO you know.

Nope. Each of my classes gets a different test.

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Jan 16, 2012

Our kids literally throw everything away the second we give it to them. We keep telling them how important it is to keep your graded work, but the work has barely left my hand before they wad it up and are launching it towards the recycle bin (not because they care about the environment, but because it's a wider goal than the round trash can). I've literally gotten a paper cut this way.

As far as late work, I have a box on my desk everything in there was submitted late and then I use the gradebook attendance system to tell me whether they were absent that day or it's truly late. The student understand that this work is extremely low priority unless it is a quiz or test because I have current work to grade. This work won't be graded until the week progress report/ report cards are due unless I'm caught up and have a lull in which to grade it. It's not vindictiveness, it's priorities. It wasn't a priority to them so it's not a priority to me since I have lots of work that was turned in on time.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 16, 2012

I personally use Powerschool as a way to keep myself organized, and as just another heads-up to parents about what is coming. When I assign something, I enter it in PS that day, because it will list the due date and of course the assignment. This way, I never forget to enter a set of grades, or forget to check on missing assignments. If we are having a test on Thursday, I will enter the test on Monday (without grades of course) so parents can't say "well we didn't know there was going to be a test!" Well, they can, but then I can say "didn't you see it entered on PS?"

I think very few of our parents check PS. The ones who do are usually the parents who don't necessarily need to. I have to assign points to every HW assignment, so all of my HW's are worth 5 points. 5 is perfect and complete, 4 is a couple mistakes, 3 is a few more mistakes and a few not done, etc. I have a mom who will FLIP OUT if her son gets a 3. He rarely does, but in the gradebook it will show up with a big fat F. She automatically takes that to mean that he is going to fail the whole class. I don't know how many times I've explained to her that one or two 3/5 HW assignments is not going to matter much in the grand scheme of things, especially when my total points for a quarter runs about 600-700.

10. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2012

Yes, thank you for clarifying.

A week or maybe two is what I'm saying as well. I just meant that the longest it could possibly sit is 3 weeks, and I know I've never gone that long without checking late work. Being elementary, the things that get sent home for absent work are usually practice/review pages. A late test, project, or large assignment is graded within a day or two. Also, I believe I mentioned that I do glance over the assignment right away to make sure the student was on the right track. If the student had trouble, I would find time that day to go over it with them. When a student is absent, I also make sure to check in with them within a day or two on the concepts they missed in class.

11. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Jan 16, 2012

Last I checked, I didn’t think Power School was very good. It tries to be all things to all people, but also, last I checked, I don’t think it sent e.mail alerts. Since grading is time-consuming, any grade book ought to be efficient.
    I think there’s quite a bit of evidence that Power School was written without the consideration of teachers, or with teachers who do very little grading. Again, last I checked, it is more time consuming than many systems. I wonder if it was mostly written around the desires of the principals.
    When students check their grades, they usually just check the final calculated average, especially as time goes on and there are 40 to 50 assignments to wade through. Since many students don’t make up an assignment unless it is affecting their grade, I always put zeros for missing work until the grade is made up so at least they will see its effect (lower average).
    Students should and I think usually do take responsibility to check their grades frequently.
    I think private schools behave differently. Teachers in private schools would probably want to do everything they can to try to keep parents satisfied with their $$. They would probably call parents as well as keep the grades posted.

12. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Jan 20, 2012

Brendan,

I'm the OP and one of the posters who said they "hold" late work for a period. I feel like I should clarify.

I think vindictive is the wrong word. That implies that I do it just to be a jerk or to **** the student (or parent) off. That's not the case. The purpose and goal is to teach the student that if they want their work prioritized, they have to make it a priority (i.e. turn it in on time). I would never hold it until the end of the quarter. I usually hold it however long it was late. If it's turned in a week late, it won't get inputted for a week. If it's a day late, it'll take an extra day to input it. See what I mean? Also, I don't think it's lazy. It's not like I'm getting massages and playing on Facebook instead of inputting the late work. I'm grading on time work and doing the zillion other things that teachers do.

13. engr

engr Rookie

Jan 21, 2012

Have any of you tried to migrate some of your assignments online? For example, for a math worksheet, students would go fill out their homework online. The application would automatically grade the assignments and send the results back to the teacher for entry into the grade book. I imagine this would ease grading tremendously.

Other educators I've spoken with routinely have 3 hours of grading every night. It seems like a herculean task that might be able to be streamlined.

14. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2012

This is a good idea but requires students to have access to a computer and the internet at home, which isn't always a given.

15. engr

engr Rookie

Jan 21, 2012

That's an issue I've thought about as well, but internet penetration is nearing 80%. If you add in access to computers via the school computer lab or the local library, it might even be higher.

What if students without access to the internet could still turn in assignments by hand? So you'd still have the vast majority of assignments graded online and then grade the remaining 20% by hand.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2012

I dont grade math homework, I check it for completeness.

And I want to see the work, not just the answer. My math classes (well, aside from my SAT prep classes) are all about process, not the answer.

As to the library: I think that a lot of those same kids without internet access are the same ones watching siblings while mom or dad works a second job. So the library is going to be a problem for a lot of them.

And the one thing you do NOT want to do is emphasize the difference between the Haves and the Have Nots. If you aren't sure that your entire class has computer access, you really can't give a computer assignment.

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2012

My professional behavior has nothing to do with the fact that my students pay tuition. And I would be outraged if my own kids' teachers chose to be less than professional because I'm NOT paying tuition.

I call parents when I need to because it's responsible teaching, not because I'm teaching in a private school.

18. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 21, 2012

Re internet assignments...I don't have internet at home. Where I live, it's expensive and not very reliable. My daughter's teacher repeatedly assigns things that need to be done online, and it is frustrating.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 21, 2012

I doubt I have twenty percent who have Internet. In theory, it sounds nice.

20. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jan 22, 2012

We can send out quizzes and homework through Skyward. I don't simply because a lot of my students don't have computers at home. And while they can, technically, go to the public libraries to use the computer, I think it would be too much strain on the parents to require them to drive the kids to the library for homework. I also don't want to single out the kids who don't have computers/internet at home by giving only them paper-based assignments.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.