Opinions about after school tutoring needed...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Mrs. Mom, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

In efforts to increase state test scores, our admin. wanted us to tutor in this way:

First quarter: LOW LOW students, one day/1 hr. math and one day/1 hr. comm. arts

Second quarter: LOW students, one day/ 1 hr math and one day/1 hr. comm. arts

The idea was then during Third quarter to tutor the middle group, the group you would feel would actually have the most chance of making some improvements on state testing.

Would you stay after school a THIRD day per week out of guilt and pull some of the low, low or low kids for more tutoring? There'd be no extra pay for this. I really don't want to, but we need our scores to improve.

3. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2011

If I was still on the clock I would tutor all they wanted because I have the time. Some of our kids have qualified the last two years for some free tutoring and after my day is over I have tutored 3-4 days a week for pretty good money. Paper work is insane but I love doing it.

4. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

I decided to go ahead and just do it without pay. At least I will be able to look back on this year and know I put extra effort into it.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

If you have the time, I think that it is something great that you can do for your students! You really will make a difference in these students' lives!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

You will also get extra rubies in your crown when you get to heaven.

7. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Jan 10, 2011

You all make me ALMOST quit grumbling about tutoring without pay. :)

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 10, 2011

Love this!!!!!:)

9. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jan 12, 2011

I hold a club two days a week after school and tutor one day a week after school (both of which we're expected to do-without extra pay). If I was asked to do anything more, as a first year teacher, I'd most likely have a breakdown.

10. H2H

H2H Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

If the tutoring is successful, there should be some consistency in who is in tutoring from quarter to quarter. If the first quarter is the LOW LOW group and the tutoring is effective, wouldn't they now be the LOW group come semester 2? I realize not all students would make this growth in one quarter, but some of them should. Why not open it up to all students? I have been doing after school tutoring for several years and I invite students who want to improve, regardless of level. There are many kids who are doing well who simply fall through the cracks because they are the forgotten students.