Opinion on scrubs?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ghost, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 5, 2008

I need to have something at work to change into if a little 'un gets sick on me. Last year I was barely able to squeeze into the pants that I'd left at school. :whistle: So I was thinking of some other option, beyond say...sweatpants. I was leaning toward getting a set of scrubs with a Blues Clues or other fun print to keep in the room just in case. I've only needed it a couple times in my career, but I thought that scrubs would work and my P. is okay with it. What is your feeling on the matter????

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

I like it :)

4. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I learned while student teaching an extra set of clothes (and shoes!) is a VERY good idea. I think cute scrubs would be a good idea!

5. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

i love love love scrubs. And it will definitely be a give away if someone gets sick on you. =)

6. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2008

I think it is fine as an emergency outfit. I wouldn't wear them otherwise unless I worked in a early childhood center and everyone wore them.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

A sped teacher at the school I taught at 06-07 wore scrubs as her very day work wear unless she had a meeting or something.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

I rarely go home directly after school so scrubs wouldn't work for me...

Have you seen yoga pants? Comfy like sweats but a little 'sleeker' looking...

Why not keep a pair of pants that fit at school?

9. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008

I have to do the extra outfit thing, too. I am going to get a pair of cotton yoga pants and a nice t-shirt.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2008

Scrubs would be fine in emergencies, I should think.

You might also look into "activewear"...basically yoga pants and a light jacket. Old Navy has some good stuff, as does Sears (of all places!).

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2008

I'd wear scrubs every single day if I could get away with...but I teach middle school.

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

First time this happened to me I had to BUY a pair of pants from the school. Then I started keeping those at work--- Last year I kept a pair of scrub pants in the room (in a plastic bag to keep them mice proof- or more-so)-- I sometimes wear a scrub top over my clothes as a smock when we do messy art projects.

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 5, 2008

A change of clothes is a good idea - for many reasons. The scrubs would be okay for an emergency situation, but something stretchy and comfy would work better.

14. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Aug 5, 2008

I think that for this need scrubs or active wear pants would be perfectly acceptable...

Last year I needed an extra pair of clothes after a child had gotten sick, but luckily got to go home a 1/2 hour early instead :)

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 5, 2008

I think it's a good idea! It's only for the rest of the day if you get messy.

16. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 5, 2008

One of my assistants wore were those scrub tops that buttons up, kinda like a short sleeve jacket? Anyway, she put it up before feeding and toileting. It helped with stains.

17. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Aug 5, 2008

Sears has some pretty good clothes these days. With Lands End in some and they have some good brands. I never thought I would- but a lot of my wash and wear school pants are Sears Apostrophe brand. They take paint well and wash well.

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2008

Not for every day, but for an extra set of clothes, absolutely!

19. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

Scrubs would be great! My daughter is a CNA and wears scrubs. They wash up so easily. She has a brand called Koi, their pants have a zipper and lots of pockets. They look like real pants. I wish I would have bought a pair!

20. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

I would recommend scrubs over active wear... especially if its just an extra pair of pants. Dickies comes in a lot of styles and colors...
    http://www.mynursinguniforms.com/urbane-9502.html

Hmm.. actually some of them looks like normal pants...

21. inhisgrip20

inhisgrip20 Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

If you're going the scrub route I would go with a neutral pair, not sponge bob or other characters. I personally don't think they are very appropriate. Like others have mentioned you can buy scrubs that look like normal pants. Just my 2 cents. :)

22. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Aug 6, 2008

Well that depends on the age of the kids... i think cartoon scrub tops (not pants) would be great for a teacher.

23. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 6, 2008

Depending on the age, the cartoon would look good too in my opinion just because it would signal that you are perfectly okay with whatever happened. Let's move on!

However, with older groups, if you do the scrub at all... go with neutral. Even in 1st grade, the kiddos would start to get embarrased by the attention of the teacher having to change clothes because of something they did.

I never thought of an extra change of clothes for the teacher. Good idea. Shows that luck has held out on me!

24. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Aug 6, 2008

LOL, this post got me thinking of the time I had to run home from school because I had an accident :) Before you get any ideas... When I was pregnant with my second child I was plagued by hyperemesis. I threw up a couple times each day until I was into my third trimester. During one horribly violent fit of vomiting, I actually peed in my pants. Imagine explaining that one to your principal!

I joke that when I get pregnant again, I'll have to carry an extra set of clothes around with me everywhere!

I love the idea of scrubs in an emergency!

25. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

I think Trinda is PreS or K level.

I just wear nicer knit tops and simple capris. I know what you mean about needing something in case the kids upchuck on your or what not.

Years ago knits outfits were the thing... knit tops and matching pants. I loved those. Talk about COMFY!!!

Scrubs look to medical to me. The Occupational Therapists wear there. The PT sometimes does.

26. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 6, 2008

Oh and I don't wear nice clothes to school unless I have a lot of IEP meetings in a row and know I won't be in the classroom much. Like I said... nicer knit tops and capris or pants. :) Sometimes I wish I could dress up more, but I like the comfy factor... LOL

27. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

My kids function at the prek level or lower :) I thought the scrubs would be comfortable and if I did have to change, the juvenile prints would be right on my wave length....er, my kids' wave length (too). :blush: I did have yoga pants, but they feel too much like my jammies to me that I'm more self-conscious in them. :( Thanks for all the great input!

28. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

Hun, wear what you want if your principal doesn't mind it. You wear what is comfy to you. Sorta like the jeans thing... some people like them - some don't. I do, my mom doesn't.

:)

29. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I actually think that there are some cute scrubs; but, I'm totally against any with patterns.

30. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 7, 2008

I never thought of keeping an extra outfit at school. I guess if it did the happen the principal would have to send us home to change (giving me a little break!!) :)

31. bakingdiva

bakingdiva Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I am all for scrubs! I wish I could wear them everyday and I really like the cute ones with the cartoons on them. Your special babies would get a kick out of them.

32. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Aug 8, 2008

Gosh, I never thought to have an extra set of clothes at school. I did not keep anything at school last year. I think I would actually die if a kid threw up even somewhere in my room - so an extra change of clothes would be completely unnecessary for me!