Opinion on extra credit?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by linswin23, Oct 30, 2011.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Oct 30, 2011

Hi all,

As middle/jr. high teachers what is your opinion on giving extra credit? Do you give it out? Why or why not and what do you give out?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 30, 2011

I think extra credit can be a good option for those students who really do try hard, get all their work in, but still struggle with the concepts.

As long as the work is directly tied to the standards, then I think it's okay. I don't think teachers should give extra credit for things like bringing in Kleenex for classroom use, although I have done that in the past (before I knew better and when it was just how things were done at my school).

In my class, I make sure to make it clear to my students that extra credit is truly EXTRA credit, not INSTEAD-OF credit, which is what a lot of them want to do. I do not allow extra credit for students who have missing or incomplete assignments.

The only extra credit that I regularly offer is what I call Latin Moments. It's where students encounter Latin in the real world, like Roman numerals on a clock, people speaking Latin in a movie, or words that come from Latin in their novel for English class, stuff like that. The amount is extremely nominal and would never amount to more than a percentage or two on an overall grade.

I might occasionally offer a bonus point or two on a test if I'm feeling generous. The question might be about something especially difficult, something we didn't focus on too much, or something that requires some special critical thinking skills.

Very occasionally and only on a case-by-case basis I might allow a student to do a special project of their choosing for extra credit. Just this past week I allowed one of my students to do that. He approached me and asked for the opportunity. He chose what he wanted to research and wrote up a report for me showing what he had learned. He is one of those students who tries and tries and tries, does everything I ask of him, completes every activity and assignment, and studies every night, but for some reason he doesn't perform well on tests, and his grade reflects that. He wanted to turn his mid-to-high-C into a B, and I allowed him the chance.

4. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Oct 30, 2011

I think extra credit if fine. I give two (2) option each nine weeks of extra credit. Each student has the opportunity to complete both projects each nine weeks. I love having it on my side during parent conferences; I am able to say well here are the grades and please notice your child has 2 opportunities to turn in an extra credit assignment to bring that grade up but they didn't turn anything in. That always turns the responsibility back to the student for their grade. I also include the explaination of the extra credit projects and due dates on the beginning of year paperwork which both the student and parent sign they have read it. I also have the students write the extra credit project due dates in their agenda at the beginning of the year. SO there is no excuse such as they didn't know about it... they chose not to do it.

For all the extra credit projects there is the option of turning in a 1 page paper discussing a current event involving math. It can be a newpaper or magazine article, newscast; any kind of current event involving math (Math in the real world and everyday life). The 2nd option for each extra credit opportunity varies according to what we are currently covering. I usually create a project to review important standards. For example, they can make a poster with the rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing integers. They must include examples and this project is an option when we are learning about integers.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 30, 2011

I don't offer extra credit. If a student in my class doesn't perform well on an assessment, he or she can receive additional teaching or practice for that standard and be assessed again. No need then, for extra credit.

6. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Oct 30, 2011

I have given it out in the past. My 6 week exams last year were produced by a curriculum company and were very difficult. I offered extra credit, so I could add some points to the tests.

Students look for extra credit as an easy way to not to do anything all 6 weeks and then produced some extra credit in order to pass.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 30, 2011

I offer optional assignments, but you can have no more than one missing assignment for the marking period to be eligible to do it.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 31, 2011

My students get a few options for extra credit. They always have challenge words on spelling tests. They can turn in extra book reports. They can go "above and beyond" in certain assignments.

They cannot ask for "extra credit" to make up for work they chose not to do. I will not offer extra credit for non-academic things, like bringing in supplies or behaving well. I also make sure to mark extra credit clearly in my gradebook so that they can still see if the standards are being met.

9. Joy

Joy Cohort

Nov 1, 2011

As a teacher, I have not yet used extra credit. As a student, I loved it! I had a few friends in college that thought I was really weird once though when I had a perfect grade in the class and still stayed up half the night to do the extra credit project of reading a book and doing a report. It was extra credit! Who wouldn't put themselves out for more points even if you didn't need them?