Opinion....field trips and $$$$

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ecteach, Sep 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 27, 2014

That isn't what I said. If a few can't go, then the school should make it happen by having PTO help pay, selling cupcakes, or doing something. 3 students at $10/each=$30. That isn't hard to do even at a poor school. If there are lots of students who can't afford to go or lots of parents are refusing to pay, then I would rethink going on the field trip. I wouldn't leave a group of students behind just because they couldn't pay.

2. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 28, 2014

I think depriving an entire class of a field trip because you don't want one or two students to feel 'left out' is the truly awful mindset. But that's my opinion. Night.

3. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Sep 28, 2014

We are a Title I district.

One year, my 2nd grade team wanted to take our kids on a field trip; however, our site would only cover a certain amount. In order to go, we needed each student to donate $2.00. I felt bad about asking the kids for a donation, but everyone brought the money!

I don't feel comfortable with my teachers asking our students to donate anything more than $5.00.

Additionally, I firmly believe that no one should be left out from a field trip due to inability to pay--either everyone goes or no one goes (keep in mind that I'm at a K-5 site).

4. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Sep 28, 2014

Agreed.

A while back there was a similar thread and of course anyone with a similar opinion was made out to be a cold, unsympathetic monster that hated lower income families :rolleyes:

The reality is that regardless of the grade level, if the student can't afford to pay they can't go. The teacher can maybe pay their way (though this option may not be affordable, nor is it the teacher's responsibility) but if not why should others that can afford it not be able to go? Canceling a fun event or educational trip for everyone because of a few seems awful.

I would be POed if my kid missed out on something because of this.

Bottom line: life isn't fair. That's the cold, hard, realistic truth. Some people want money for steak but can only afford chicken. That doesn't mean other people stop eating steak. C'est la vie.

I do agree that schools should put aside some sort of fund for educational trips, though not "fun" trips like amusement parks and the like.

5. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Sep 28, 2014

5th grade.

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2014

We did one year and qualified. We had assistance from the state, visited food pantries and cut our expenses as much as possible. It was a very humiliating experience to have to sit and wait to fill out paperwork. We only qualified for year as DH was not working due to health issues and his unemployment had run out. It was a very bleak time in our lives.

As a parent, I made sure that our kids could go on field trips that year. There was a line on the bottom of every permission slip that said something about if you couldn't afford to pay, to please let the office know.

In the district that I live in, once the kids are in Middle School & above the field trips are based upon subject area. The science teacher may take a group to the zoo. They only take the first 50 kids (a bus load) who turn in permission slips with money.

7. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Sep 28, 2014

When both of my kids were in 5th grade they went on a lot of expensive field trips. The teachers knew this and we did fundraising to bring the total cost down.

There were boxes at the doors that parents could drop off cans/bottles and we would return them. A couple of parents would come in 1 day a week and sell ice cream at lunch. Bake sales, fundraisers etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.