Opinion About Follow-Up Interview Email

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by fratbrats, Aug 2, 2013.

1. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 2, 2013

Hello,

I'm on "pins and needles!" I had an interview on Tuesday for another school in my current district. I felt that the interview went well. I sent a nice thank you email after the interview that evening.

The next day, I received an email from the interviewing principal. The principal said that my passion was evident and that I interviewed well. The principal also said that they had many good applicants and that if I seemed to be the best fit for their school, that they'd be in touch with me. I was told that they'd still be interviewing candidates on Thursday and our district is closed on Friday's.

What do you think?

3. Global Teacher

Global Teacher Companion

Aug 3, 2013

I think this principal shouldn't be putting you through the wringer like that. The comments he made are best reserved for after he's made a decision when the conversation can go this way, "...and you're hired," or "...but we've hired someone else."

Regardless, you've received positive feedback. Hopefully that means that the principal thinks highly enough of you to hire you.

4. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

Thank you both! Waiting is the hardest part! This is the position that I want the most! I have two more interviews next week, and was hoping to have landed this position, and not have to interview again!

Interviewing is the hardest part for me. Especially, since I know that the next two interviews are panel interviews with administration from the district office!

5. fratbrats

fratbrats Comrade

Aug 3, 2013

In my experience, I've never received an email back from the principal before they made a decision. Have any of you? :)

6. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Aug 4, 2013

I received an email from a principal letting me know I was a finalist, but there were a few more candidates to talk to. I think his email was triggered by my thank you email. I did not get that job.

7. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Aug 4, 2013

I have to agree. I have had three great interviews, and I understand it's a compliment to get positive feedback before the decision, but it also tends to get one's hopes up. I had the principal and entire committee laughing and smiling during my demo. They were saying things like, "that was great, what a wonderful lesson etc" on my way out. I really thought I had it in the bag. I didn't get it and I still don't know why. The p told me when she rejected me that I had done an outstanding job. When she wrote to me last week after I had emailed about another position, I asked her if she could give me any advice regarding my performance (she knew I was still looking and had wished me luck). Haven't heard a peep since....

Anyway, at least you know you did well and there is hope! Good luck!

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

I had an interview for a great opportunity on Monday. To date, I have had no feedback, and I'm losing hope. I felt that the interview, while short, was OK. I certainly didn't feel like I knocked it out of the park by no means, but I still left feeling good, with a little skip in my giddyup. I e-mailed that day, and I sent a thank you card by regular mail too. (Also, had some common interest with one of the interviewing teachers, so I sent some related pdf teaching materials via e-mail attachment as well).

My hope was due to several reasons: interview was for first thing Monday morning, at P's request... I tend to think they interview the candidates they have hopes for earliest. The district also has not officially posted a job announcement for the position, making me think it is a limited candidate pool. I also have a new P in this district who I subbed for some this past year and who has heaped praise on me for that, who said she would put in a good word for me with the P I interviewed with, at a district function today.

And yet, here I sit feeling like I missed another opportunity. School starts the week following next, so I would think they want to bring the person into the fold ASAP. The fact that I have not heard anything feels like a No.

9. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

I have sent out thank you e-mails to every hiring team I have interviewed with this season (which is my first), and I have gotten wonderfully supportive and positive replies back from almost all of them. But I haven't gotten an offer.

I wouldn't read too much into it. But I sure know how easy it is to fall into parsing every word uttered or written in order to make the waiting more bearable. Hard not to when we have so much riding on the result.
    Sheilah

10. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Aug 16, 2013

I know what you mean. e.g. On my way out of the office after the interview I mentioned above, she said "have a nice week!" That innocent little phrase, which may just be the way she greets people (especially at the start of a week!), is something I'm trying to hang on to as a support for why I haven't been contracted yet (one way or the other). As if, maybe they weren't expecting to make a decision this week (even though school starts in 11 days).

It makes you feel stupid; you break down the episode to the nth degree... like how you used to feel as a teen when a girl said "hi" to you.