Opinio editor of my local paper is intrigued by how "the system " treats subs.

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by oldstudent, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 22, 2010

Opinion editor of my local paper is intrigued by how "the system " treats subs.

As I sit home for the 14th day out of a possible 17 work days, I decided to call the opinion editor of my local newspaper.

He said that I would not be able to write a guest editorial anonymously. I need to use my real name.

He was however, intrigued by what I have to say regarding how subs are treated by " the system" , and is considering writing about it himself. He says he needs to gather information to see if it is feasible.
    He plans on talking to me next week.

I decided the focus should not only entail our being denied EDD benefits, but also how those of us who are fully credentialed could be hired as full time lower paid contract substitutes.

There are some things, however I need to know before moving forward.

First, how many substitutes in California are fully credentialed, vs the number that have 30 day permits?

Second, are laid off contracted teachers who are now subbing eligible to collect EDD benefits?

If anyone knows the answer to these question, or where to find the answers, I would be grateful.

I will ask the second question in a general forum also. Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 22, 2010

A to Z discourages multiple posts on the same topic, on the sensible grounds that a conversation that's all in one place is more coherent and easier to follow. Since there's a thread on the same topic by the same member in the General Education forum, I'm going to close this thread.

(Veteran members of A to Z don't generally follow particular forums; instead, they display new posts in general using the All Posts link at the upper right corner of this page.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.