Openly LGBT Educators

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by ChangeAgent, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

Jul 5, 2007

This thread was meant to discuss the potential of being an educator who is open/out. My discussions regarding sexuality education were the focus of the other thread. Sadly, since this thread stemmed from the first, I can understand the layover and perceived meaning of my posts here (of course, I don't remember everything I said here, so I hope I'm not mistaken!).

I agree with all of Tigers points--Tigers, you spoke them well. Thank you.

I don't think I ever mentioned me discussing my sexual behavior with students. As far as "sexuality," that spectrum has been defined on the other thread which was, interestingly enough, closed (and I have no intention of resurrecting it).

My main focus here was the existence of other gay teachers and how others handled this situation in their schools. I received that feedback, plus the personal/professional opinions of others.

Thanks, all.

2. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

1. Nope...straight...married.
    2. I worked in Vegas and I tried to put away the stereotype of gays men having that...unique voice. Turns out one new teacher in our school had that same thing and I thought of him as straight until he told my wife he was gay. I think the staff was ok with it. My religous beliefs are strong in that area, but we still had a great friendship and I enjoyed talking to him daily and having a couple of deep conversations with him. Unfortunately, it seemed like our principal found out sometime during the 05-06 year that he was gay and he was not asked to come back or was moved to another school or something along those lines. Either way...he wasn't coming back to that school for the 06-07 year. Unfortunately, he accidentally overdosed on some painkillers and died around late July last year.
    3. I think...THINK...he might have told his students...although I can't remember. He wasn't afraid about it or anything and was very open about it. But Im not sure.
    4. Good question. Im married...to my wife; and I almost daily talk about her in some fashion or another anyways in class. So...the students know. But if they asked if I was gay...Id say no. Although right now Im in a small town of 8k people...I don't think there are many gay people in town. Im sure there are....but I havent heard of anything and you know how small towns work...word gets out faster than wildfire. My display is my wedding band.

3. MisterG

MisterG Comrade

Jul 6, 2007

Also...keep in mind that this is one of those areas where about zippo amount of time is spent on it in class. If students ask about my beliefs...I say im a Christian and I go to a Pentacostal church...if they ask why...I brush it aside as I don't want to get into a whole relgious thing in class. The same is true for sexuality. are you gay? No, Im not...back to math. I don't try to be sarcastic or negative..but with some things...I just tell them to talk to their parents at home.

4. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2007

Change Agent, if you read your comments over you will see that you did definitely bring up all sorts of sexual issues re children and maybe that's because you didn't want to get straight to the heart of your real question? Anyway, I thought of this before, but now I'll say it--why don't you just move to San Francisco? For sure, you will not be in the minority there and you will fit right in. I'm serious. And the weather climate is like 100% better there, too! :)

5. eduk8r

eduk8r Enthusiast

Jul 6, 2007

oh, and there are comments by ctopher on some other thread that you might find helpful. It sounded like he was in similar circumstances.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.