Open Up Math

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2019

Do any middle school math teachers use the Open Up Math Curriculum? I am using this next year and I’m excited but nervous. I would love to hear thoughts from people who have implemented this curriculum.

3. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2019

Can you tell me more about it? Link(s)?

4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2019

I believe that Illustrative Math created this curriculum but I am not sure. The curriculum is free to all educators and the link is below.

https://openupresources.org

It is a problem + inquiry based curriculum. My concern is that there might not be enough practice. However, I like most of the lessons and they're engaging. It doesn't teach some of the "procedures" I taught my students this year, but looking back, a lot of my students didn't really retain lessons from last year anyways.

My coach encouraged us to use it as a resource last year, but it's difficult to use if you don't use all of the lessons. A lot of districts in my area have piloted it last year or are piloting it this year.

5. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 24, 2019

Okay so from your perspective what're some of the potential pros and cons? It definitely seems interesting! Of course I haven't taught it (I wasn't a math teacher nor did I teach middle school but nonetheless) but from an admin perspective it's interesting.

6. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2019

A ton of schools are using it in my area. It is a very high quality curriculum and it is inquiry + problem based. A lot of the lessons and great and rigorous and work to build a strong conceptual understanding.

My concerns is that there is not a direct instruction. Some topics lend well to direct instruction, so I think I would supplement a bit. I hear that you are supposed to teach this with "fidelity", meaning that you do not skip any lessons, etc. I'm not sure how that is going to work. I am also concerned about the pacing + coverage of standards. They spend about 4-5 days on the area of a parallelogram for 6th grade which is a lot. I assume it would "pay off" with a deeper understanding. They do not cover a few topics that I taught last year. For example, 6th graders are supposed to solve and graph inequalities. I can't find it in the curriculum, so I don't know if I would have to supplement. (However, my students did NOT retain this skill at all...it seemed to be too much for 6th grade so I would rather not teach it.) I would definitely need to supplement the expressions unit and teach volume because I don't think these are completely covered.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  7. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jul 25, 2019

8. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2019

I taught my first lesson from Open Up today. I really liked it! The second class's lesson went a lot better than the first. The kids were pretty engaged and had lots of different ideas.

We are doing the lesson with tangrams tomorrow and the kids will get the foam ones tomorrow.