Open teaching positions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by joeboo22, Jul 4, 2014.

1. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 4, 2014

Hi, I'm new here, so I hope this is allowed, if not I understand. But I'm a teacher on the Navajo Reservation in North Eastern Arizona and we currently don't have an HR director so we are really short some positions and school starts a month from today. I figured I'd spread the word on this forum because it seems to have a bunch of people searching for a job.

Pay is good but teaching here is hard, the kids are hard to teach and the parenting makes you depressed but its a job and it looks good on the resume. It is remote so if you love the city life don't even bother. But if you are looking for an adventure and need a job dm for more information on the positions.

I'll be upfront with the salary just because but it starts at #38,838 for no experience no graduate credits. A $1,500 signing bonus is also given. Up to $7,000 in prop 301 bonus is possible (most got in the $3K range this year.)

If your interested dm me and I'll explain the application process and send you a link to the website because I can't post it here.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 4, 2014

What a great thread idea! A district neighboring mine has over 300 positions available. It's considered an "inner city" district, but I taught there for a decade, and it wasn't that bad. Starting salary is $50,000!!! (Yep, you read that correctly!) Aldine ISD

Our largest district, Houston ISD, also has over 300 positions open. Houston ISD

Houston is a great place to live. Our cost of living is significantly lower than most cities!

4. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

Thank you for starting this post! Although those 2 places will not work for me, I still appreciate both of you spreading the word. Hopefully it will help someone out there! :) :thanks: to you both and :welcome: to the forum joeboo22

5. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

If you know of anyone, spread the word. Its odd, I took a year off of teaching because I couldn't find a job, and then I found out its because where the jobs were open, they weren't advertising where I was looking so when I got a job I said I'd help advertise our open positions. Since we are on the reservation and are school doesn't do the best job of advertising the positions many people don't know we have these open positions so I figured I'd help spread the word.

6. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

This sounds so grim. Surely there are some perks here other than the pay. Can it be a rewarding job? Surely there is something unique and special about this job or about the kids that you could share with us.

7. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

It is a very rewarding job, but in the past the school has tried to sugar coat the situation and have had teachers leave in the middle of the year, or show up and turn around.

So I didn't want to sell you a false bag of goods and say its the greatest place on earth, when its not. We are a struggling school academically. But we have a young core of teachers, and some administrators that are trying to change the culture. This year we did the best ever on state testing.

Ultimately I didn't want someone who had a pretty good job, leave and come here, because I said Arizona, high pay, close to the Grand Canyon, and mountains and outdoors and etc.

The kids are very hard on new teachers because they have very few teachers stay for more then 1 year, and in many cases their home lives suck, so they haven't really been brought up in the best situation.

8. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Jul 5, 2014

I get it. You need the right teachers down there. It would be very easy to sugar coat a job like that. I'm even tempted to ask for more information, but I couldn't make it more than a week outside of the city. Thank you for passing along the information. If your school system is still needing people in August and September, you might want to bump this thread back up. Take care. :)

9. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 7, 2014

The big key is it looks really good on applications. Before I accepted this job I had interviewed for 2 other teaching jobs, and was in contact with another school. I had applied for right around 100 jobs (lost track in the mid 70's). This spring I applied for a few jobs and was contacted for an interview in 3 of the 4.

Its a tough thing to face, but unless your SPED, have connections or have a really nice resume, its hard to not have to move a way, possibly quite some distance to find that first job.

If you aren't tied to an area, and can live in the boonies, its not a bad place to be, now maybe my school district is not the place for you, but there are other schools on the reservation that pay quite well and maybe that is a place for you.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 7, 2014

At my school there are 3 open positions they are desperate to fill! They just became open, and they have to go through the internal process, but chances are no one will want it.

Central Valley area
    Alternative ed
    1 math and 2 special ed positions, one has its own classroom, but the kids rotate, and other teacher is itinerant, rotating through our school and juvenile hall.
    Super awesome principal, no budget problems.
    Let me know if you're interested.

They need someone so badly, that if you're the right fit, they won't care if you have minimal / no experience. They look at what / who is best for our kids.

11. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 10, 2014

http://pusdatsa.org/?pID=8709

Ok, now that I have enough cred, I can post links.

Here are the open positions, I'm also pretty sure an English job will be open as well, and possibly another 4th and 5th grade position. Where it says special assignment, that means full-time sub, which means your a full time teacher, but you don't have a classroom, you sub, when needed, help with discipline and other stuff when that is not needed.

PM for a little more help, might need to email some people to help with the process. I'm currently on my summer vacation, but am checking my email quite regularly

12. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 14, 2014

Just updated the openings. Its getting crunch time, so if you know of anyone who is qualified and open forward the website to them. Ignore the AZ license and finger print card, those you can get after you have been hired.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me

13. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014

I put this opening on 15 or so craigslist sites and I just want to share some advise on applying.

Read the advertisement. I said in plain english to go to the website and apply to contact myself i you had any questions. I've had 5 or so people send me there resume saying I hope this means I here back from you. I just deleted them, if you can't read the instructions I'm not going to forward the information. I had another guy use 28 purple font and signed off with Jesus Lives (I'm a christian but really).

I teach in the middle of nowhere, its not the easiest place to find people, in Arizona we get bonuses based on grade and school wide test scores, so I'm trying to recruit some teachers. If you can't follow simple directions you aren't going to get a job.

I have however found 1 solid candidate who I helped with the application process and she already interviewed. So again (basically bumping the thread) if you or anyone you know needs a job (especially elementary) contact me.

14. joeboo22

joeboo22 Rookie

Aug 1, 2014

I just wanted to update everyone that there is still 5-7 various elementary positions, a couple of english/computer teachers (either one) in the middle and high school (up to 3). Could also use a math teacher (middle or high school)

The big ones are an Earth Science position and a CTE Auto-mechanics position. The Earth Science position comes with an additional $1,500 bonus.

If anyone knows of anyone who fits any of these qualifications contact me

15. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2014

I sent you a pm joeboo22

16. wk3636

wk3636 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014

I tried sending this by private message but not sure it worked so I will post it here too...

Hi Joeboo,
    I've been following your thread on open teacher positions in Arizona. I'm looking to get certified through an alternative pathway. My degree is in geography but I want to teach high school math. I don't have classroom experience but I have been tutoring math for 10 years. I wouldn't be eligible to teach in the fall but possibly at semester. I'd like to get an idea of my chances of obtaining a math teaching position with my qualifications. I like living in rural areas and have thick skin so I think it could be a good fit. I currently live in Kansas so I want to get as much info as possible before starting the process. Thanks in advance for any help.