Open Mouth, Insert Foot

Discussion in 'General Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Jul 20, 2007.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2007

What's the worst thing you have ever said...or let slip out...in the heat of the moment when a student was "pushing your buttons"? :eek: And...how did you fix it?:sorry:

3. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

LOL

4. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

AW...:rolleyes: c'mon!! Is that all we get? LOL

5. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

I'm not a teacher and for some unknown reason I'm immune to my usual 'Foot in Mouth Disease' around my patients....

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

An adminstrator came out of an office and said to me she was watching a movie about Aspergers...I said "Axe murderers?"...:eek:

7. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 20, 2007

That is so funny. I have a co-worker who I think has Aspergers. (in case you were curious)

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

I've never said anything, but I have certainly thought, "Please don't let me have said that out loud!"

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

Erm, I did. I'm too embarrassed to repeat it. I was new at the school and our kinder kids were going through the lunch line a little bit too slow because they had to type in their numbers. Obviously, this was a slow process as no one had their numbers memorized. One upper grade teacher said something mean to me, like, we need to be in the lunch room on time. I was so upset. It's not my fault! So, I made a comment later in the lounge (I was joking, but also coming from frustration), and the principal happened to hear me. He came and told me that the comment may have hurt the other teachers feeling and was not appropriate. I apologized and explained that I did not mean to hurt them. Plus, I'm VERY shy and never got into trouble, like in school, so for me to be scolded by the principal was so embarrassing.

Like the thread name, by the way.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2007

Oh, I remember another one!

I had my first post observation meeting with the principal. After he went over his notes, I meant to say, "that was pretty painless" but instead I said, "that was pretty painful!" Ugh. I need to keep my mouth closed for now on. I also said Good afternoon to the principal when it was morning. I know there are more, but I think I blocked the others out. The only time I talk is when I put my foot into my mouth.

11. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

Not so much stuff said in anger but things I wished I could take back.

I once got bored during a faculty meeting because our principal liked to preach. He would use a variety of phrases over and over so I decided to tally them, then he always ended his sermons (umm, meetings) by saying, "I said all that to say all this...." then he would get to the meat of the meeting. I wrote that quote across the bottom of my paper. Then........

I left it laying on the table. I was sooooooooo scared he would find it or someone would show it to him. I went back in the next morning and found it laying on the table. It was never mentioned so hopefully he never saw it.

The second one was this year, during one of my formal observations my cell phone rang. My principal has a no phone rule but I turn in on on the way to school, leave it unused and then my husband calls my kids while I'm on bus or hall duty to talk about their day and their homework. Anyway, I was leaned over a student beside my desk where the principal was sitting and the phone rang. She gave me the teacher look and I mouthed sorry. I went on with the lesson as normal. When we got together to discuss the lesson and her evaluation, she noted that the phone rang twice. I said, "NO MA'AM IT ONLY RANG ONCE and I checked at the end of the day, it was a wrong number." She said, "No it rang twice. You were doing so good the second time, you didn't even notice but (watch out for those buts) since it happened twice, I have to document it."
    Open Mouth, Insert Cell Phone.

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

One time my HS kids had a case of "everyone has to go to the bathroom" (and this was before cell phones or text messages.)

After a while, I put my foot down and said NO ONE else was leaving the room.

But after a while, one of the girls got a look of panic on her face, checked her purse, and told me in "that tone" that she really HAD to go. so I let her.

Needless to say, one of the boys complained. My reponse?

"I guess I just like girls better."

I wanted to grab the words back as they were leaving my mouth. The bathroom was forgotten... all they wanted to do was smirk and bust my chops. And I had to admit it was funny.

13. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

That seems really unfair that she documented it since you say she has no cell phone policy. This is something we would have complained to the union about here and had it removed from the observation form right away. That's a shame.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2007

I had a VERY hormonal group of 4th graders last year. While introducing fractions, I drew some baseballs on the board and colored some of them red. Then I asked the class how many balls were red. They all busted out laughing...

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

I think she said that the principal had "a no phone rule"... like a rule stating there can be no phones.

16. yclark

yclark Comrade

Jul 20, 2007

17. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

She sure did!! UH..DuH!! LOL I went back and reread it!! See...even teachers need to reread! :sorry: ;)

18. WindyCityGal606

Jul 20, 2007

When I taught math to a rowdy group of 5th graders who also had S--E--X on the brain (??), I used to make the mistake of asking them "Who's going to the board to do it?" (as in...to do the math problem...) Well, they cracked up laughing each time!! Oh Boy!!

19. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2007

In Latin, the number six (VI) is "sex"... in spelling and pronunciation. (Think: sextuplets.)

And the word for with is "cum" pronounced "koom".

My kids just DIE when they see those words written down or when they have to read them out loud.

20. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Jul 21, 2007

I was teaching my students about the Oklahoma land rush and preparing them for a recreation. Well I told them they would be farmers so they had to bring farming equiptment with them......seeds, plow and don't forget their hoe.....

Needless to say I had to draw a picture to stop the lauging....I had to tell them over and over again for the rest of the year, a hoe, not that kind of hoe.......

21. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 21, 2007

I blurted out in front of my class last year, "I BELIEVE THAT WHEELIES ARE IGNORANT, and it is in my opinion a waste of money." I turned this horrid crimson color because I was at the door and a group of 3rd graders was walking by in the hallway, looking at my bulletin board.

Another time- it was with co-workers- but it was a combination of people-

We were switching a few students into new classes the first week of school. I was infuriated and tired. I was handed a list of names, and someone said, "Choose a boy."

I saw the name "xxxxxxxx" and blurted out, "I'll take this one. Plus, that's what I eventually want to name my son."

My co-worker blurted out, "You must be hiding something pretty big from us. You're pregnant?"

I shook my head. "Oh, yes, I am the Virgin Mary."

22. mhcooley

mhcooley Companion

Jul 21, 2007

I had a principal that was balding so he looked older than what he was. He had a daughter that was about 9. I saw them together and before I could stop myself I said, "Is this your granddaughter? " I immediately turned red.:eek:

23. cinaminsweet

cinaminsweet Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Last year while doing a lesson about the Mayflower, I told the kids that we could abbreviate it to MF since we had to write it a lot. Every time I said MF they burst out giggling. I didn't get it at first and when I asked, one of them said I was saying a curse word. Of course they don't even know the abbreviation for their state, but they know the abbreviation for a curse word. :rolleyes:

24. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 22, 2007

I was doing a standardized testing practice w/ my kids. As I was reading through the answers one was

C. **** (the name of the guy in the passage, why would they EVER put that name in a test for kids?)

Embarassing!

25. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Jul 22, 2007

Hrm, they edit here. Well, it's a name short for Richard.

26. GardenDove

GardenDove Habitué

Jul 22, 2007

The autocensor is overzealous at this site, I've noticed. :D

27. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 22, 2007

Yes it is a problem on the Big Brother thread too. If you space it out it is fine (D i c k)

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 22, 2007

Cyndi, I would imagine the same thing comes up when talking about Nixon in history.

29. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 23, 2007

I was helping a fellow teacher move a fridge once and I dropped it right on my toe, guess what I said!

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

So you know how we teachers have that ear for profanity? Like, I swear I can hear the F word a mile away, even if I'm involved in a conversation with someone else.

So anyway, kids were working on some partner work and I heard someone say the MF word. My head snapped up and I was like, "What was that? Who said that?" Some kids smirked and were like, "What, Miss? I didn't hear anything?" And I laughed and was like, "Oh, okay, because I totally thought I heard someone say em-and-effer." (That's an inside joke in my department and we use it all the time when we're screwing around with each other at school and don't want to drop the F-bomb in front of admins or students accidentally.)

The kids were quiet for a few seconds while they contemplated what I meant by "em-and-effer" and then they ALL busted out laughing.

From then on, they always teased me for saying it like that. I didn't mind too much, though, because they started saying it that way too, and I think it's a much better option. One of my worst offenders told me that he was in another class and used my phrase when he meant to say the real version. He said he got all embarrassed at first, but then was happy when he saw that his teacher wasn't going to write him up for swearing.

31. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 23, 2007

I just totally re-read this... Sorry! No pun intended!

:D

32. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 23, 2007

yes yes,...the fun of clarification...EVERY time you mention a specific word

33. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Once I blurted out "I hear voices" as another teacher walked by.
    We both laughed later at what kind of voices was I hearing...in my head?

34. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2007

Another was when another teacher received a hair perm. It actually looked great, but one of her students told her it looked like Bart's mom (as in Simpsons). When she told us this story, I said "It doesn't look blue to me." Well, she didn't find it amusing. I should know better than to comment on a lady's hair.:eek:

35. MollyT

MollyT Companion

Jul 30, 2007

I have a habit of quoting. ONe of my favourites is from Bill Cosby. He was in his car stuck on a steep hill at the lights. All the cars were using handbrakes and couldnt do a hill start. He was hanging his head out the window waving to the car behind saying "Come around idiot, come around" - but he couldnt because he was busy saying the same thing to the car behind. Great sketch.

One day at school during athletics training, i was calling up the kids for their turn at throwing. One kid walked up the wrong way and then stood looking lost. In my frustration, I waved him on and said "come around idiot, come around"

The moment it was out of my mouth i realised he would have no idea about the Bill Cosby sketch. I was so embarrassed!!!!!!!!

36. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Jul 30, 2007

Too many to count for me!!

The one that all the kids remember . . . I use the 3B's if you have to leave the room (Barf, Blood, Bathroom). One of the grade 8 boys ask to leave because he cut himself. I responded "Is it bleeding?" After 2 years they still like to bring it up.

One I'd like everyone to forget . . . our last day of school everyone waas put into groups for games at a rec center. I had the wonderful task of supervising the kids that you would never put together . . . but they are all friends and it is the last day of school so into one grop they went! At our last station, everyone was joking around, and the group leader said "OK, this is an easy one - there won't be a lot of thinking involved", and I responded with something like that was a good thing, or equally wrong. i would never suggest that a kid can't learn at all . . . it came out totally wrong. I was so embrassed - I went up to the child afterwards and made sure he understood that it was meant as a joke and not directed towards him at all. Even today I cring when I think about it.

I guess when we are stressed or multitasking to the max, the filter between the mind and the mouth doesn't seem to work quite as quickly! I bought myself a poster and have it hanging in my room to remind me to always think first along the lines of "open mouth, insert foot".

Oh - and during our algebra section I can't use "p" as a variable - cracks them completely up, and when I cooach basketball and need their completely attention, I have learnt not to say "OK, hold your balls" to grade 7/8 boys team!!!