Open mouth, insert foot...deep!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Andrea L, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 21, 2006

I went to my principal and told her that there was a certain student that I would really love to have in my classroom. I'd had the sister and loved the family. I told her I would take whomever she gave me if I could work with that family again...

Well, I got my class list today and I'm really not looking forward to this bunch of students. She took me very seriously. I have five students who have quite the reputation around our school. I must say that I'm kind of scared. This is my fifth year teaching, but very well could be the first year that I have the class from he_ll. I'm trying to go into this positively but am not doing so hot. Any thoughts on making this year work would be appreciated.

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

remember that kids pick up on the way you treat them... so go into it, as hard as it is, with a "this is going to be the best year ever" attitude.

But you already knew that. :)

My thoughts are consistency, esp. with behavior, let them know what's happening, etc... but you're really good, so you already do these things.

Good luck!!!

4. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 21, 2006

Start fresh with an open mind and no preconceived ideas. these kids may respond differently with you than other teachers. Keep them in check and don't let them get away with anything in sept. Then once you trust them you can back off a little. Perhaps reward programs for the whole class. (something they have to work on together to acheive-like getting puzzle pieces off a picture to recieve a reward).
    If there is still problems that arise perhaps you can speak to your principal later in Sept. about splitting some of them up.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2006

Some of my favourite (and most respectful) students have been "those" students...the ones with the bad rep. Just remember that for them, and for you, this is a clean slate--a chance for new beginnings. Don't let their past dictate how you treat them. Begin your new year looking forward-with enthusiasm-to getting to know all of those new students.

6. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 21, 2006

I agree wth those above. Often times I have discovered that "those" kids got the reputations from teachers who just didn't know how to deal with them. Many of them became my favorites.

7. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 21, 2006

Ditto to what the others have said. Last year I had several students with a "rep". I have a couple again this year. I can honestly say that these students are my most polite and most respectful alot of the time. It has already gotten to the point because I let both the children and the parents know from the start that we are "starting fresh" and gave them my expectations clearly stated. I have received several notes from them stating their child is loving being in school this year and that they are so glad that I gave their child a "fresh start" because they knew that their child was capable of following the rules.
    So just state your expectations clearly and the consequences for breaking them and the children will respond positively. It is to the point now all I have to say is "think about your choice please, I know you don't want to make a poor choice". Sometimes I don't even have to say anything. I just raise my eyebrows at them and they "make a wiser choice"

Good luck :)

8. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 21, 2006

Yes, please don't let what the other teachers have told you about the students dictate the way you should or will treat them. You will make a difference in these children's life, so do what you can to give them a new beginning.

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 22, 2006

No preconceived notions!!! :)

10. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

The thing I always tell my students who have bad reputations is that school is a special place because students can always START OVER. The past can truly be put in the past. Real life isn't always like that.

You know, when you have a bad reputation, it's really hard to change because bad as it is, it is your reputation and you alone own it. It's something they keep because it's theirs.

Can we give them permission and the freedom to change it? You bet. We don't hold grudges and we sure don't force a child to live up to a bad reputation. We slowly show them ways to let it go and develop a different reputation.

This is not a fast process and it involves strategic planning and a lot of sneakiness on the part of the teacher but good sneakiness!!

Most of my favorite students have been the ones that other teachers pity me for having in my class. Hey...if they're on my roster, they're mine for the year and I'm there's. My job is to teach them and helping them let go of a bad rep is teaching.

Can you imagine if you did something dumb and were constantly treated according to the reputation you got for doing that. AND you had to keep being around those people every day for years!!! AND they never let you forget what you did. And they expect you to keep doing it. I thionk after a while....you just do what they expect of you.

So.....be that teacher who expects something different from them this year. Don't read every single little note in their cummulative file. Give them a chance to want to change. They won't even try if they see you already believe the hype. Even if the hype is true, you have to give them a chance or you will be fighting with a child all year and you don't want that.

11. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Aug 22, 2006

I had been given some preconceived notions about a few of my students. And those students are some of the 'angels' in my class. So try not to worry too much!!! They may surprise you!!! :)

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2006

The teachers gossiped about my son just about every year. What does that accomplish, really? It creates a bad mindset for the new teacher, and it should create a bad reputation for the teacher doing the talking.

13. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

I'm so sorry to hear they did that to your family. That stinks and it's so unprofessional. I try to always remember that each student is someone's family member. I mention that during interviews too because I want them to know upfront that I'm not going to get into that gossiping. I hate it when I hear it and it's so unfair to do to someone. Really Ridiculous.

14. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Aug 22, 2006

I did something similar. A well-known family was in the office enrolling their kid. I happened to be in the office and offered to take the kid into my class. Whew! What have I done?

15. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Aug 23, 2006

Thank you for all of your responses. I spoke to a previous teacher yesterday and told her I wanted to know all the good things because I was tired of hearing the bad things. Truthfully, he doesn't sound so bad and neither to the others. You are all right! These students need a fresh new year and a teacher who is going to give that to them. I look forward to teaching those students and creating great memories for them. Hopefully I can help them feel better about themselves and change the thoughts that others have about them. Thanks again! I needed to hear all of these postive comments. I've always told myself I will not listen to what others say, but sometimes it's hard when they are ALL saying it.

Have a great year everyone, I know I will!

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 23, 2006

Great attitude, Andrea!! The kids you get will be lucky, indeed.

17. Ann2006

Ann2006 Cohort

Aug 23, 2006

Andrea this is so good to hear!

And whenever you start to feel aggravated with any of your kiddos, make a list of something you like about each one. It really helps because you have to think about each one independently.

Does anyone have the 100 Ways to Praise a Child desk mat? I've had one on my desk for years and I use it. When I need to count to 10, my head is looking down at my desk and I read those and pick something nice to say to someone.

It changes the mood in the room and makes me feel better!:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

18. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 23, 2006

i have a student that is known to be the trouble maker...in in-school suspension and out. yesterday (our 4th day) he hugged me!!! it was VERY important to get this guy on my side! and i did! if only for a day he knows that i care about him and want him to succeed! he needs A LOT of attention, but if that's what i gotta do to keep him in my room, so be it! anyway...

it is possible to reach the tough ones. don't give up on 'em before you've met 'em. :)

LC

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2006

One of my "toughest" used to like to come and do his work at a corner of my desk (no small feat, to find an empty corner on the desk!). When he was feeling frustrated or angry, he would ask to come and work at my desk. He was so starved for attention (didn't see his mom very much) and this little thing went a long way in helping him have a good day.