Open house????

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by fiskeda, Aug 31, 2009.

1. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

what did you do at yours? is it bad that my room wouldn't be 100% ready?????

3. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Aug 31, 2009

My open house is really a way for me to explain things to the parents before school actually starts. I have all the parents and children come in- the kids nameplates are on their tables, and they sit. Parents squeeze in anywhere they can. The children sit at their tables with foam nametags that I have made, and decorate them with stickers. I also have paper and crayons to keep them occupied. The parents stand around and I talk and talk and talk. I introduce myself, apologize profusely for not having enough space and for it inevitably being unbearably hot with all those bodies in the room. Then I go through about a million procedures, ask for questions, answer as many as I can, and end the open house. I tell them they are welcome to take their child around the room and check it out, and come see me one on one before they go. Open House is one hour long- I usually talk for 30 minutes and spend 20 minutes or so chatting individually with parents and kids.

Your room does NOT have to be 100% ready! Just make sure it looks welcoming and homey and ready to go. It doesn't have to BE ready to go, it just has to LOOK like it is. If you want, explain to the parents that you still have some time before school starts and the room will be completed by the first day of school, but that they can get a gist of what it will be like just by looking around.

Good luck!!

4. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Aug 31, 2009

I just did my open house and my room was not 100%. I just explain ahead of time. I do talk for about 5 minutes and then I have the parents do a scavenger hunt with their children. After that we just mingle and I tell them that they can ask me any questions they have while they look at the room.

For me it is a good opportunity for the parents to meet each other and to help the kids not feel so anxious before school starts.

5. fiskeda

fiskeda Rookie

Aug 31, 2009

Thank you..... thats what I need to hear:D