Open House

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Mrs_B, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 1, 2008

I was wondering what you do for open house? I asked the other 4th grade teachers and they said they don't do anything as a team so I guess I am on my own. I know the younger grades get very elaborate.
    Any ideas?

3. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 1, 2008

What kinds of things have you seen the first graders do? We don't do anything special but I thought I might brainstorm with you.

4. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

We just had our open hose this week-end. I didn't do anything super special except have alot of their work displayed. You could have your science center set up with an experiment you have recently done. Lay out your curriculum on a table. those are the things parents are looking for.

Our third grade teacher had the kids make a paper plate face of themselves and bring in an extra uniform shirt and made up all of her chairs like there was a child sitting there. (the pp were taped on the top of the back of the chair). Anyway it was cute , but is more Kindergarten style.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

We often have the kids write a letter to their parents, asking them to look at specific things. Then leave out markers and paper for the parents to write a letter back.

6. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

Why do you have open house so late in the year. We have ours the first week of school which I think is too early. When I was in school it was always in Oct.

7. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Mar 2, 2008

The open house is for prospective parents. Private schools register now for next year!

8. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 2, 2008

Ours is this Thursday. My class is working on lifesize portraits of themselves that will be stuffed and sitting in their chairs during open house. After tracing themselves on large papers, they draw on clothing so that they're person is dressed as what they want to be when they grow up. Then they write a paper about what they want to be, and that sits on their desk during open house. It's really cute, although A LOT of work. (I really hope they're finished by Thursday!)

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 2, 2008

We have a smaller class but we did the lifelike cutouts too and added real pictures of their face, colored their clothes on and then different parts of their body said something. For example, the arms said "I have..." The legs said, "I like to (do)...." The heart said, "I love..." The stomach said "I like to eat ...." (First Grade). Then we posted these all over the walls in the rooms, on the window shades, on part of the word wall, and even on a proped up easel board. We hated to take them down.

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 2, 2008

I didn't realize this is for prospective parents. At ours, the teachers all stay and the groups of parents come through the rooms and look around. Our rooms may have stuff up but nothing different than usual. Current projects may be out on the tables. Then the prospective parents can talk with the teachers. Our head says the teachers are the best advertisers for the program. :)

I wouldn't do anything too out there, it will look like you are trying too hard compared with teachers who don't do anything. If everyone does all sorts of things, then go for it.

During parent open houses (for current parents) the class has made a power point, which we have running during the open house. The kids help make it and we use photos from the classroom. That has been a hit before. I never thought of using it in the prospective parent open house but it could work.

11. Mrs_B

Mrs_B Comrade

Mar 3, 2008

It seems like open house is mostly our parents but I guess prospective may come. We are public but a magnet so a choice.

The kindergarten does a underwater theme and totally decorate their rooms and the kids do a diorama.

1st grade does rainforest and TOTALLY decorate their rooms and my son had practiced a speech and was able to tour me around the classroom and tell me all about what they had learned. I was impressed!

Not sure what 2nd grade does but they are a machine so probably something good.

3rd last year had huge grids taped on their rug and had the kids create a town and their desks showed the different businesses they started.

I do remember walking around and thinking, "that class doesn't look very impressive comparatively" so I feel some pressure to not be lame.

I like the idea of the kids helping me create a powerpoint or perhaps a movie?

12. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 7, 2008

My daughter's class is preparing a mini-me of themselves. Which is cool because kids have to use measurement and conversion to create it. It is very similar to the project listed on this website http://poms6c.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/math-pre-apgt-february-28-2008/ The teacher hangs them from the ceiling above each child's desk (in addition to displaying projects on the walls and having samples of work on each child's desk).

13. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 7, 2008

Having a PowerPoint running that the kids took part in creating sounds like a great idea.

14. allyd

allyd Rookie

Mar 9, 2008

I always set up several science stations around the room that require the parents to make predictions and then try the experiment. The students love this as they already know the outcome and most of the time the parents make the wrong prediction. I also highlight a math center where I have Marcy Cook Math problems set up for the parents to try. I use this for enrichment and it allows the parents to see that their children are being challenged. On all of the computers in the room I have our photos playing with some serene music in the background. It allows the parents to see what we are doing all year long. When the students enter the room, they have a checklist to take with them to make sure that they remember to show their parents everything that we are doing in class. We also do a state clue problem where the students are read clues each day and then they use the clues to guess the state of the week. We keep the previous week's clues up and have the parents put their guess into the pot with the students.

15. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 9, 2008

My son and I did a Heritage project on a small poster silloutte cut out (generic). It was an open ended process project. We used a CD for the face, for example, because his father works on Computers for a living. It turned out AWESOME. I would have loved to have seen some of the other family's projects.

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 9, 2008

Our open house was this past Thursday. Here is a picture of what my kids made. (Click on it to make it bigger).
    [​IMG]

The "people" are dressed as the career the students want to have when they grow up, and the paper on their desk was written about that career. It was a big hit!

17. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Steph-ernie those turned out so great. I bet the parents loved them.

18. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

Thanks, yeah, they did love them. it was fun to hear the comments as people passed by the room.