Open House

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by MissB, Sep 15, 2006.

1. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 15, 2006

Hi,
    I have my first open house next week. The parents and students will be coming. The students have been in school for a couple of weeks and I need some ideas! I have read other threads, but all I found was advice for an open house prior to the start of school. Please share what you do for open house that happens after school starts. Thanks so much!
    Jamie

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 15, 2006

For my open house I had partents go on a scavenger hunt. FInd your cubbies, find your desk, find the sign in sheet, find the volunteer sign in sheet, find the classroom library, find the math tubs, find the journals, etc.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 15, 2006

For Open House (we have ours near the beginning of October) I usually set up centers in my room. That way the students come with their parents and they can work together at centers. The children get to show of some of the things they have been doing and parents get to see what goes on in the classroom.

In years past I have sometimes done a looping PowerPoint, too. I take pictures of students throughout the day. Make sure you get everyone in at least one or two pictures!

Sometimes I have a checklist. Show your parents... your journal, your favorite center, etc. On the checklist I include "ask to play your favorite song" and the child tells me what song to play from one of our cds so the parents get to hear that, too.

I also like to have something they've been working on in class available for them to take home that night. Could be an art project or a book they've been working on.

One of my colleagues makes a giant graph on her board and everyone who visits her room has to "graph in" (as opposed to sign in). They write their name on a sticky note and post it under the appropriate category: Student, sibling, grandparent, former student, friend, etc.

Just think about what Open House is for. At our school it is so parents can see what the students do in the classroom. Think about what you can do to showcase that...

5. MissB

MissB Companion

Sep 15, 2006

Perfect!! Thanks so much!! :)