Open House

Discussion in 'General Education' started by aprilshowers, May 20, 2014.

1. aprilshowers

aprilshowers Rookie

May 20, 2014

I am stressed. I am being nonrenewed for non-performance reasons and going to work is hard enough. On top of that, this week is Open House until 7:30PM. I am currently the only teacher at my school who teaches zero period (without being compensated for the extra class), so I will start teaching at 7:30AM and not stop until 3:45. Then I have a 2 hour break (not enough time to leave) before Open House starts. Next week, I have another school function that will go until 8:00PM as well. On top of this, they want us to bring a dish for an Open House Potluck for the parents (which we can't attend since we have to be in our classrooms).

I really do not want to go. My boyfriend is recommending that I just skip it. He says, what will they do? Fire you? However, I am nervous that they will give me a bad reference or fight my unemployment claim or something.

What do you think? I don't want to be foolish over an extra 4 hours, but I don't want to be a doormat, either. I don't even know if the parents will notice if I am there. 2 years ago, only 3 parents showed up. Last year, many did, however. I just can't keep working these 12+ hour days when I'm trying to apply/interview for jobs.

Please don't tell me to contact my union. There isn't one. I'm just looking for opinions/commiseration.

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 21, 2014

Sorry you are in that situation.

I understand your hesitation, but if it were me, I'd probably still do it. I'd feel too guilty not to. Even if 3 parents show up, they are taking the time and the politics of the admistration aren't their fault. Maybe the other school functions are something you could skip.

4. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

May 21, 2014

Do what you feel is best for you. Don't do anything out of resentment or spite, do what you feel is right for yourself and your students. You are the only one who can decide that. It is a tough decision, but make one and stick with it. In the end you will know that what you did was the right thing.

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

May 21, 2014

Open House is once a year. I rarely have many parents come but I still go anyway. Even during rough years when I was in a similar situation to yours. It's not about me, or the administration, it's about the students and their hard work. That's how I see it.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

:agreed:

7. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

May 21, 2014

I'd still go.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 21, 2014

For us, it's written into our contract. I would not like to break my contract even if I was being non-renewed. Regardless of how the school treats me, I would prefer to respond by respecting my duties and leaving. Shows them that they would be wrong.

However this year I got the wrong time, and ended up coming half an hour late to open house. >_<

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 21, 2014

I'd go but there's no way I'd take food. Even if I were to stay at the school.

I buy enough crap for my classroom and students. To feed parents on top of that? Nuts!!!

10. Linzi

Linzi Rookie

May 21, 2014

It would be so hard to make that decision. It's (relatively) easy to go and do those things when you're invested in the school and your classes, but I can imagine it would be such a chore when you know you won't be back next year. I'd probably drag myself, just to finish my commitment, although I wouldn't be happy about it. Best of luck to you, and I hope that you end up happy with whatever decision you make.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 21, 2014

Here's how I see it: Open House is a chance for the kids to showcase what they've learned and accomplished throughout the school year. It's not about site administration, school politics, renewal/non-renewal. It's about the kids.

I'm assuming that admin asking you to bring a dish means you teach at a small school? There's no way that could happen at my site because we have well over 600 students.

12. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 22, 2014

I'm kinda confused by this. Around here, Open House happens before the school year starts, and it's where you go around and meet your kid's teachers. Are you all talking about something different?

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 22, 2014

We call that Back-to-School Night.

14. greendream

greendream Cohort

May 22, 2014

Interesting. So what goes on at Open House?

15. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

May 22, 2014

It is your duty. It is your job. As long as you are an employee it is in your best interest to do your job completely.

I completely understand lacking the desire to do so, but please don't lack the ethics to do so.

Your boyfriend's argument is an emotional power play. It rarely turns out good for those that really don't have the power. You are right in thinking that putting a bad taste in the mouth of those that will be called is not a wise decision.

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 22, 2014

I always told my kids that Back-to-School Night was my night and Open House was their night.

Back-to-School Night happens in August. Parents meet their kids' teachers and teachers go over rules, routines, expectations (homework/behavior), and curriculum overviews.

Open House takes place each spring. Our was last night. Kids showcase their art, reports, and other special projects. Many teachers created a slide show that highlighted events from throughout the year. A few teachers had their kids present their oral reports. It's an exciting night for the kids because they get to show off what they've done throughout the year.

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 23, 2014

That's how it is at my daughter's school.