Open House

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by gpsysngbrd, Aug 15, 2013.

1. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Aug 15, 2013

Open House is next Wednesday night (its just an hour). I'm not one to give up and give a speech and I'd rather make it come and go. I REALLY like the idea of scavenger hunt....but Im a little stuck. Trying to decide what to include. I want my kids to be involved in touring Mom and Dad around. Im thinking of things like show your cubby, show your chair.....and when they get to the chair have mom or dad fill out an info sheet and they have to turn it into me for a prize. My room is Disney themed so I would love to have my scavenger hunt match my theme but I'm stuck. The only thing Im not is follow Mickey footprints or something?

Help!

3. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Aug 16, 2013

I did a hunt for the first time last year and was surprised by how much they loved it! The parents/kids used clipboards to find things around the room. I made my own (took a while) to find pictures of things in my room...polka dot rug, pete the cat, a lemon (we have a lemonade stand in the dramatic play corner). It was worth the work to make the document. They had fun with it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2013

I do think you should gather parents at some point, welcome them, share your philosophy and give them an overview of the year. Parents are entrusting you with their sweeties...they should go home feeling that their kids are in great hands and excited about the upcoming year of learning.:2cents:

5. MzMooreTeaches

MzMooreTeaches Cohort

Aug 16, 2013

My Open house in previous years have been:

1. Sign in
    2. Fill out emergency contact information and provide information on how their child will be getting home.
    3. Take a family photo
    4. Find their seats, cubbies
    5. We talk and I answer any questions they may have.

I'm wondering how I could keep all my parents in long enough to kind of talk to them regarding best way to contact me, forming a partnership with them this year, snack, homework and a newsletter every 2 weeks that will go home. At some point I think it would be great if I did that.