Open House

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by MissKinderK, Jul 30, 2010.

1. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 30, 2010

Hi All :D I just received an e-mail from the principal informing us of an open house we are required to hold in our rooms the saturday before school starts. For me, that's less than three weeks away! It will last all day 830AM-330PM, so I am assuming it is an open-door type of situation, and parents and students come in to meet me. Being that this is my first year - I'm nervous! What should I have prepared? Should I have things out for the students in case many show up at one time? Should I have hand-outs for the parents? Please Help:confused::unsure: Thank you!

3. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Wow! A Sat and all that time.
    You would have time for a scavenger hunt around the room for the kids as they come in.
    I normally have crayons and a coloring sheet on each students desk.
    Candy set out in a bowl for parents.
    I have all of my volunteer and student info sheets out that the parents can fill out.
    Its basically a time to just meet the kids and parents. Nothing too formal yet.

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 30, 2010

I'd have as many beginning of the school papers in stacks, we have insurance forms, free-lunch forms, and a gillion other forms to distribute. Get addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers from parents and if you plan on taking pictures for a Shutterfly account or something like that get permission forms signed. Find out if their child is a car rider or bus kid. Keep a check-off list of who picked up what.

Many times parents will come in with all their kids, I've had them running all over my classroom so you might want to set up something to entertain those extras... perhaps a puzzle or blocks of some sort.

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 30, 2010

hoot owl, I am stealing that number "a gillion"....I like it a lot...

Miss KinderK - I agree with the prev. posters....have some coloring sheets, maybe one where they draw a picture of their family, or something they did over the summer. Make your room as welcoming as possible, have a bowl of candy, mints, etc. for the parents (and children if it is okay with the parents), and definitely have any forms you need filled out available. Make sure you have some chairs set up for a few of the parents if they wish to sit, and HAVE FUN!!! Remember, Kinder parents are usually way more nervous than you are. Good Luck!!!!! :hugs:

6. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

I also do a "Can You Find..." around the room. So they look for their cubby and bathroom and the reading corner and their desk. Our meet and greet is a set time that is only for 30 minutes! So I read a story and take all the kids pictures as they come in. I couldn't imagine an all day affair. I am sure some parents will want to linger and play with the fun stuff in the room. My first year... I didn't realize parents would let their kids run a muck in my room and when they left my room was a DISASTER! So if this is something that you think might happen to you put a note in the kitchen area that the area is "under construction" Grand Opening Coming Soon... parents think it is cute and they typically won't let the kids play there!

If I had all day I might have some things out just in case like blocks and puzzles and of course something to color etc.

Good luck!

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 30, 2010

Oh yes I forgot all about that. The kids came in with their brothers and sisters and treated my room like a playground. Its awkward to tell the kids to stop so I just let them.
    :(

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 30, 2010

WOW, your school is allowed to have something like that all day on a SATURDAY?! That's crazy! Is that in your contract? I've never heard of anything like that.

Anyway, I do a scavenger hunt, as well. Find your cubby, find your hook in the hallway, find your table, find the calendar, etc. They do it with their parents. I usually have a bunch of information for parents to pick up: an "ABC's of Kindergarten" handbook that explains many of our classroom/school procedures, arrival/dismissal routines, important things to know for next week, etc. This year I am sending this all home a week before Open House so that many common questions will be answered ahead of time, and parents can focus on their children during Open House. I found that if parents are busy filling stuff out, the kids (and siblings) just wander...

I also have a little goodie bad for the kids with a school pencil, stickers, and some other items.

9. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Jul 31, 2010

I like the idea of a scavenger hunt...do you make each list in a different order so everyone isn't looking for the same thing at the same time??

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 31, 2010

I have information and tips for preparing for open house/meet the teacher events on my Bootcamp for Newbies page. I also suggest making an orientation photo story if the parents will be showing up at any time so you don't have to repeat yourself over and over and forget anything important, you can watch mine here.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2010

Wow, that is a long open house, and on a Saturday, too. That wouldn't fly here.

I love the photostory...you could do a powerpoint and have it continually running so that parents can watch as they come in. I'd send a note beforehand asking parents to bring in their kids' supplies if they plan on attending - that way, they can help the kids unpack and sort them out, and it eliminates some of the confusion the first day of school.

I do a "tour." I take pictures of important places in the room, and make a sheet. The kids find the things and mark them off. They return the tour sheet to me before leaving, and get a reward (I always have a scholastic book ready for them).

And if you want the parents to do the forms (I do!), then also have a few clipboards and pens out, as well.

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2010

I don't, just because they all arrive at different times. For many things they aren't all in the same place (table spots, hallway hooks).

13. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 31, 2010

i love the photostory infomercial thingy. I am totally gonna steal that idea.

14. MissKinderK

MissKinderK Rookie

Jul 31, 2010

I can't believe it is an all day Saturday event either! They gave us off an extra day in Feb. to make up for it. I like the photo story!! Thanks!