Open House .. what day of the week is yours?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smannes, Jul 8, 2008.

1. smannes

smannes Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I just found out that our Open House is going to be on a Sunday. Honestly, I'm very upset about this. Weekends are MY time to do what *I* want to with them. Having it on a Sunday doesn't necessarily benefit my school community either. I don't know what the P is thinking!

So what day of the week is yours? How would you feel if it was scheduled for a Sunday?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 8, 2008

There are a LOT of people who have the weekends as religious times with family. I am very surprised that a principal would schedule an open house for the weekend!

Could you approach your principal and ask him/her why they chose that day?

Our will most likely be on a Monday, Tuesday or Thursday evening the week before school starts.

4. teach_each1

teach_each1 Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Wednesday I think which suprises me b/c we don't do much on Wednesday because of people that attend church. We also don't get our work day until Thursday so I have to sometime figure out when I'm going to get in and get the room ready.

5. Mr Flamingo

Mr Flamingo Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

Ours is on the Thursday before school starts. Weekends just don't make sense for the exact reason you gave (it is your/our time).

6. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

We have our open house on a Tuesday usually. It does seem odd your Principal would schedule for a weekend. Do you have a union? I would contact them to see even if he can do it legally.

7. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 8, 2008

Ours is on a Tuesday this year. My P usually lets us vote on the date. I would not even consider going if it was on a Sunday. It would have to be voluntary because Sundays are not contract days.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

Mine is also the Thurs before school starts.

I am SHOCKED that here in NC you're open house is on a Sunday! I get nagged on all the time for not attending church... EVERYONE goes to church on Sunday! In the north, not so much...

9. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 8, 2008

I would check with the union rep also- I do not think that legally they can "make" you go.

Ours is always on a Tuesday or Thursday (our back to school night). We were going to have ours on a Wednesday this year, and someone was like "what about church"- that day was shelved and Tuesday it was :)

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

NC doesn't have unions, loves2teach.

11. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2008

Our is on Tuesday or Thursday night the second week after school starts. We have four schools in our district: three k-5 and one jr. high. We can't have our open house on the same night as any of the elementary buildings because there are parents with kids in two buildings.

12. MiddleGradesLA

MiddleGradesLA Rookie

Jul 8, 2008

I am assigned to Open House on a Thursday. It is for the 7th and 8th graders. The 6th graders will come on Wednesday. As a first year teacher, I am very nervous about meeting the parents and students, but I am glad I have been assigned with my teammates!

Sunday seems like a strange day for an Open House

13. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 8, 2008

Wednesday.

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Jul 8, 2008

Thursday, July 31st from 1:30 to 3:30. School starts Friday, August 1st.

I wouldn't see a Sunday open house as being feasible. I know we had a "parent information" session offered as an option of Sunday (teachers volunteered to be on the team to "inform") and NO PARENTS showed up.

15. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

We start on a Monday with professional development and that Tuesday evening is our OPEN HOUSE.

16. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 8, 2008

I have never heard of a school scheduling an Open House on a Sunday. Ours is the Tuesday after Labor Day and I was unhappy with that because of people going out of town, I'm not even sure they'll remember to come. I would never expect parents or teachers to give up their Sunday - is it in the morning? That is definitely church time for a lot of people!

17. jackiecan04

jackiecan04 New Member

Jul 8, 2008

Our is on Sunday, August 3rd at 4:00 pm. Why I dont know. My church has a Sunday Evening Service as well as a morning. I guest I will have to miss Sunday Evening Worship to attend our open house. I dont want to start the year off by not being there. It does not look good when the teacher is not at open house.

18. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 8, 2008

We have a new student orientation on Tues Sept 2 (the teacher's first official day back) and then our Back to School Night is one evening during the third week of school.

We have some school events planned on Saturdays (social events), but we'd never have anything like that on a Sunday. That's crazy!

19. MS Candy

MS Candy Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Mine is on Thursday, too before schools starts....I don't anyone would show on a weekend, before schools starts...........NO WAY!

20. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I don't know where ours is, as I don't think it's scheduled yet. But, I would be completely POed if it was on a Sunday. I don't think they have any right to do that, or to expect you to be there. Do you have a union to fight it?

21. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Mine is the Thursday before school starts. I wouldn't be happy at all with it being on a Sunday because the weekends are my only days to rest and relax.

22. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

Stupid charter school I worked at had them EVERY MONTH ON SATURDAY! It was sooooooo stupid! OMG...I hated them!

Anyway...new school will have 1 on Sunday...but it is catholic school. I dunno...blah

23. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Ours is August 15th, with the kids coming back the 18th. But teachers come back on the 13th! The 13th is full of meetings, the 14th we have to unpack and set up our rooms, and then open house on the 15th! My room's done already though...I'm not going to be running around like an idiot... :)

24. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Jul 8, 2008

Our's is definitely on a weekday. Are you a public school teacher? Didn't they break your contract by doing it on a non-business day?

25. forkids

forkids Cohort

Jul 9, 2008

Ours has always been on a weekday, but this year we will be in a new building with different management and it has been scheduled for a Saturday. We'll see how it goes.