Open House Question

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by KinderCowgirl, Aug 22, 2012.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 22, 2012

Well, really for any parent activity-we did our Open House last night and I never know what to do with the kids the parents bring who are siblings to my students. Parents were just letting their other kids run around, my word wall actually got torn down at one point. One of the little ones ran into the classroom next door and started messing up her papers. They are taking a bunch of things off the shelves and just dumping them out on the floor. I spent like 15 mins this morning cleaning up (because it was already after 7:00 when they left and I was ready to go home).

Do you say anything when this happens? I try talking to the kids and saying "ok, please don't play with that"-hoping the parent will take the hint, but it just doesn't happen. What do you do?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 22, 2012

Ugh, I've had the same problem numerous times. It's terribly awkward! I look forward to advice. :)

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2012

First of all,your administration should communicate that ths is a 'no siblings' event..(at my school, BTS night is for PARENTS ONLY)

If that doesn't happen, run off a bunch of coloring sheets for the little kids ...ask parents to keep the younger sibling seated with them as you want the focus to be on the students you teach..

If that doesnt work, tell the parents that unruly children will be given a cup of espresso and a free puppy to take home...:D

5. MrsM7

MrsM7 Rookie

Aug 23, 2012

No, they never do get the hint. I try to put as many things away in my storage room as possible and take them out after it's over.

The good thing about my school is that they have ice cream down in the cafeteria during the Open House, so after I have finished my business with the family, I ask the child if they have had their ice cream yet. That usually gets them to want to leave and make room for the next family.

6. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Sep 3, 2012

I was worried about that happening this year, too, but my parents kept their students and siblings with them, and I didn't have anyone playing in my centers :)