Open House ideas?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by corps2005, Aug 2, 2008.

1. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 2, 2008

This is my first year having to participate in Open House. We didn't have Open House at my previous school.

Should I plan some activities? What are some good activities or things to do at Open House for first grade?

What will it be like? Are there any tips or suggestions?

3. Iris228

Iris228 Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I'd be interested in knowing what others do as well. Thankfully, the other first grade teachers in my school have a system that they use.. I'm told they'll fill me in so that I can do what they do! I don't know what all that entails yet, but am glad that I have someone to go to with a plan! I've had to participate in parent conferences and an open house during the year (because I worked in a private K--and it was mostly lead by the director of my school), but never a back to school night.... and truthfully am a bit nervous!

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 2, 2008

I usually have a small scavenger hunt set up with things like:
    meet your teacher
    find your cubbie
    find your mailbox
    find your seat
    get a procedural handout
    fill out the emergency card

General stuff like that... when they finish, they can go to the Treasure Box.

We also have a fall conference schedule sign up sheet on the board for those parents who have more than one child and can just sign up in both classes right then.

Ours is set up for a couple hours so the parents kinda just roam around from room to room, so I can't prepare a speech or something like that. I just get to stand there and meet the parents and children who come in!

5. kimberd

kimberd Rookie

Aug 2, 2008

I'm in middle school, and we have an upcoming "Meet the Teacher" night. I'm really not sure what to expect or what to do. I also just realized how much more I need to buy to decorate my classroom with. I'm in panic mode now...

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

This is nice terptoteacher. Do you have a little paper that says this or do you put it on the board?

Is it customary to give the new student a little gift? I got these cute toys I would like to give them but I don't know if the other teachers in my school do this. Would it be taboo for me to do it if they don't?

7. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

No kidding! I found that putting the colored paper on the walls with border helps a lot and posters are about $2 or $3. You can also buy posters and cut them up if they have something like the scientific process or writing stages or whatever, and then use those as signs.

Lemon

8. terptoteacher

Aug 2, 2008

I printed out the scavenger hunt on apple shaped paper (my theme) and when they finish, I have them write their names on it and turn it in. It helps me remember who showed up cuz I meet so many people!!

I don't give gifts because of the expense. I just let them go to the treasure box.

9. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 2, 2008

Terp,

When I said gifts, I really meant treasure box. Is that customary, for them to get a little something?

Do you have anything you have them find besides these things?

meet your teacher
    find your cubbie
    find your mailbox
    find your seat

Our students bring their supplies so we have directions on where to put the community stuff and what to put in the desk. I could add that to the list.

Do you take pictures of your students that night too?

Lemon

10. haleybug

haleybug Rookie

Aug 3, 2008

During our open house the parents just walk around the school to go visit the classrooms. I really like the scavenger hunt idea because the children want to show their parents these things anyway.

I also have a slideshow of pictures of the children going in the room for the parents and children to look at. Everyone seemed to really like this, too.

11. terptoteacher

Aug 3, 2008

I donh't know if a trip to the treasure box is customary or not !:):confused: But the kids and parents seemed to like it.
    I had a pretty short scavenger hunt last year, but I may add to it this year.

12. terptoteacher

Aug 3, 2008

Taking pictures sounds like a great idea!!

13. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

When do you do your open house? We have meet the teacher the Friday before school starts. Then a couple weeks later we have curriculum night where parents come and we explain it. In March we have open house.

14. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 3, 2008

Do any of you teachers provide refreshments? I was wondering if I should this year.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 3, 2008

I plan on doing that for conferences and open house but I really didn't know if I should mess with it for meet the teacher. Anxious to hear what others do.

16. terptoteacher

Aug 4, 2008

I think if I weren't flying home from Vegas the night before arriving home at 11:30 then having to go to meetings all the next day before the open house at 6 I might provide refreshments--like veggies and dip or something, but I think I'll be too tired!!!!!

17. ms_first123

ms_first123 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

open house

I usually have a message up, like a Morning Message, for the parents. The kids come in, find their desk, get their home folders, and a name tag. Parent info is all set up on my table... bus numbers, contact forms, etc. The kids have a scavenger hunt and coloring sheet at their desk. I have a small basket of crayons on each desk grouping. They aren't allowed to play or use other things until we have "discovered them" in Guided Discovery.

18. haleybug

haleybug Rookie

Aug 4, 2008

Our open house is about a month into school so I have enough time to take plenty of pictures.

I have provided snacks during parent orientation before and everyone seemed to enjoy them (especially the children).

19. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

Thank you for your ideas. :) Here's what I'm going to do for Open House. I would like to do a slide show, but the parents are going to be walking around the building, so I won't have all the parents at one time.

I'm going to create a scavenger hunt for the kids to find particular places around the room. I'll give each child a brown paper bag to put in five items that tell something about themselves. This will be their homework and it is due on the first day of school. I'll also take a picture of each child as well so I can put their picture on the door by the first day of school.

For the parents, I'll take down information about how their children will get home the first day and each of the following days. Try to get them to fill out the contact sheet while they are here. Have sign-ups for conference week.

I think I'll provide some crackers or wheat things as snacks. I might provide some punch as well.

What do you guys think?

20. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 4, 2008

We have open house only with parents. The principal does a short whole school/parent speech and then the parents come to our classrooms for a half an hour for our presentation. I create a slideshow with their kids on it showing them doing different things throughout the day with some music and the parents can come in and look around and watch this. The presentation is a power point that I put together that takes them through a typical day in the classroom and I get to talk about the curriculum this way. I NEEED to have something to guide me through and the power point works really well!!!

21. 4alicat

4alicat Companion

Aug 5, 2008

What do you mean by "Open House?" Is this for parents only? Parents & kids?

At my school we have "Back to School Night" which occurs within the first couple weeks of school. This is basically a 30 minute "meeting" when the parents come at night to meet the their child's teacher(s). Then during this time, I explain our format for the year, class rules, curriculum, schedule, HW policies, ask for volunteers, etc, etc, etc.

What I do is show a powerpoint presentation of what a "typical" day in our classroom would be like. Within this presentation, I make sure to include a picture of each student. I start from the very beginning of the day basically showing our schedule through pictures of their children. I also make sure to include things like pictures of our textbooks, pictures of our homework folder & weekly work envelopes, behavior cards, samples of beginning/end of year reading and writing samples & any other items that aren't necessarily on the daily schedule, but I want the parents to have a visual of so they know what I or their child is talking about.

I love this format because it takes the focus & the "eyes" off of me & the parents love seeing the pictures of their kids in the classroom setting.

I also pass out a packet that they can read thru at their leisure which includes much of the information that I went over in the powerpoint presentation.

If you can't show a powerpoint presentation, you could make overhead slides with these things (however I don't know how much it would cost when trying to make colored overheads.)

22. Teach in Tampa

Teach in Tampa Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

That's so basic but I just never though about cutting up the posters to make signs. Thanks lemonhead!

23. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

You are welcome. Not my idea but it works awesome. I just bought three yesterday that I am going to cut up: Space shapes, flat shapes and a cute fractions one. I am planning on putting them by my "calendar time" stuff. I also got a money one but I think I will keep that one whole:)