Open House before school starts

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by corderos3, Jul 12, 2008.

1. corderos3

corderos3 Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

What do you do for Open House that happens before school starts?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2008

Are the children invited or is it just parents? If it is just parents I would do some sort of presentation on what the year will be like etc. If it is the kids, maybe you could do some sort of classroom tour or have them do a little project so they can get used to being in the room.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 12, 2008

When we did that I used to have a little scavenger hunt for them to do. Things like "Find your name on a table" and "Find our class pet."

Ours was just a casual thing where families could drop in and meet us, see the classroom, etc.

I had paperwork packets, supply lists, etc. available for parents to take home so they could get a jump-start before orientation.

5. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Jul 13, 2008

Our Kindergarten students are not placed in classes during our before school Open House. We have a general orientation the week before and we discuss how the school works, staggered entrance, bookbags, buses, etc. We strongly encourage parents to leave children at home so they can listen better and ask questions. This works extremely well at our school.

6. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 13, 2008

There's already a whole thread on this topic- click here.

7. ashleylaurenstl

ashleylaurenstl Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

Do students bring their supplies to this open house? If they don't perhaps they could start, I love having the supplies before the first day of school. It makes it a bit less hectic on the first day.

Our students bring their supplies and we have them do a mini-scavenger hunt to put their things away. The hunt takes them all around the room. At each spot their is a tub for them to put the requested item in. Students also get a name tag for the first day of school and we hang a How do I get home poster on the board, parents or students list their name and how they will be getting home (we have a copy of our bus route next to the poster). We also give parents a packet of information about our classroom, etc. Since this is a quick meet, we tell parents if they would like to speak with us about something specific to their child they can leave their name and number on my desk and I will call them either later that evening or the next day.