Open House Activity

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Nicole S., Aug 14, 2008.

1. Nicole S.

Nicole S. Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

Alright, school starts next Thursday and we have Open House/Meet the Teacher Tuesday night. I am looking for a simple activity to do with the families that come in that night. Anyone have any ideas? I want something for parents to do with the child/children and that I can hang up for the first day of school. By the way, I have 3's and 4's.

Thanks,
    Nicole

3. Pre-KPrincess

Pre-KPrincess Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I got this super cute idea from a website, can't remember which one though! I'm going to have my families do a scavenger hunt to find certain things in and around our classroom and they have to do something at each station... locate the blocks center; build something, library center; read a book, art center; draw a picture, bathroom; wash your hands. I also have a giant Clifford that they have to find and give him a hug which is my segway into our school tour on the first day of school. I'm going to look concerned and tell them that Clifford is missing and we have to go find him. I'll have die cut paw prints leading to important places in our school... cafeteria, office, library. Clifford will be found reading a book in the libary. Back to the scavenger hunt, the last item is to find me so I can take their picture.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 15, 2008

scavenger hunt is a cute idea. ~ In our preschool, the parents have orientation, and the kids are in their classes. Not much time to visit with all of them at the same time. :(

5. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Aug 15, 2008

I'm jsut letting the parents and their children come in andcheck out the rorm. I will have welcome packets for each family with my sept newletter and curriculum calendar, goals and objectives, book order forms, and several handouts have on the value of play and "what does my child learn by playing in the ____ area", as well, as handouts on packing lunches etc, a parent handbook and a welcome cared. I have my cneters all open so they can play with te children and I will have some samples of the work we willdo ont he tables as well. I plan on posting the what doew my child learn by playing in the _area in each of the corresponding area too--

6. always_learning

always_learning Rookie

Aug 18, 2008

We are also doing a simple scavenger hunt, letting the children play a bit and give parents time to ask any questions. They will have already sat through a long orientation so I want them to be able to get in and out if they want.

Can you take pictures of the children the night of the open house to hang up OR have them write their name/decorate their own cubby tag etc?

7. Miss J. Pre-K

Miss J. Pre-K Comrade

Aug 20, 2008

Could you do a simple art project? Have parent(s) and child work together drawing a picture of their family or something they like to do as a family? Stringing simple bead necklaces? Making things out of play dough?

Also, I love to do a simple family bulletin board for the start of school. Take pictures of the child with their family, add a title like "Our Families" and staple to board. Children seem to really like seeing their family pics at school.