Open enrollment

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tasha, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

Does your school/district have open enrollment? Most of the districts have open enrollment around me and I was wondering how common it is and the effects you think it has on your school/district, good or bad. If you aren't familiar with it, parents can apply to bring kids to a different district or school outside of the normal attendance zones. Our rules state parents provide transportation and kids can be sent back to their home school/districts for excessive tardies, absences, or major behavior issues (though this has to be pretty extreme and needs lots of paper work).

3. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

No, but there are ways for people to get around the zoning. I saw it a lot in the school where I student taught, which was a really good school in a not so great neighborhood, surrounded by even worse neighborhoods. So there were lots of undesirable schools around it.

My school isn't that desirable right now, so we pretty much only get kids from our zone.

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 19, 2012

That usually only applies here for staff parents. The parent can apply to have the child come to his/her school. Other than that, we generally don't have kids from other districts unless they live really close to the district boundaries and have some other tie to our community. For instance, one of my friends from high school lived right over the county line. The bus turned around at her driveway. Her grandmother lived in our town, and her family did more in our town than in the home town just due to location. She always came to our school.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

We have open enrollment at my school and it's a little wearying, especially when it's halfway through the semester and the student comes with no transcripts.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

No, we not have it. I thought this was going to be about open enrollment for insurance!

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

We have it. We get a lot of students from the neighboring bigger town to our school since we're small. I actually have a couple of neighbors that are sending their kids to the elementary in my district.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

We don't have it at my current school, but at my previous school we did. There was a condition that the students in our catchment got priority. We turned away hundreds of kids a year.

It turned out to be a benefit in a couple of cases, though. One year, I had a problem with a student who was out-of-catchment. After weeks of detentions, calls home and office referrals, the VP finally called home and told the mother that her daughter could follow our rules or find a different school. Because she wasn't in our catchment, we weren't required to offer her a spot at our school and we could revoke it at any time. As it happens, the student's catchment school was less than desirable.

The student showed up at my door with apologies the next day.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

Students are only able to transfer into a school not in their area if there is room at the school. My school and the two closest to us are "full"--we even have some students being bused to another building because we don't have the space.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Aug 19, 2012

I remember reading in the Star Ledger a while back that they were going to start allowing it in communities with low enrollments on a voluntary basis. Did you hear anything about that or was it just a proposal?

11. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 19, 2012

The district I live in (not work in) has open enrollment. But you can only do it in Jan-Feb for the upcoming school year.

My daughter attended our home school from 1st-5th grade. While she was attending there the lines were redrawn and it was no longer our home school. She was still able to attend. When my son was old enough to start Kinder I had to do open enrollment for him to be able to attend. But I got first priority because my daughter was still attending there. I don't have to re-enroll each year thank God.

12. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

We have it. Far more students enroll out of the district than come in from other places.

13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

My district works sort of this way. We don't have true open enrollment, but we do have "schools of choice". There may be a certain number of available seats open at a particular school for non-zoned students; once those seats are full, other non-zoned students won't be allowed to attend.

My district also has many, many magnet schools, which are always open to anyone who is accepted, regardless of where they live.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 19, 2012

Ah. By "open enrollment", I thought you meant WHEN students can enroll. Any student in my state is eligible, and there isn't a cutoff for when they enroll or transfer.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 19, 2012

My previous district was open enrollment. It drove everyone nuts. Our school was actually one of the ones that a lot of people wanted in to. We had built a new building and followed a special hands on learning program that he other schools in the district didn't. We had people coming in constantly at the end of the year to visit/observe classes to see if they wanted to come for the next year. I had to take so much time out of my planning to meet with families whose children had an IEP and wanted to talk to me before deciding. People just took things WAY to far too. We had people offering bribes, under the table "donations", trying to spread rumors about other families trying to get in, and using fake addresses (if you actually lived in our zone, we couldn't turn you down for any reason). As far as I know, we weren't able to "kick anyone out" based on poor behavior or attendance mid-year if they were a transfer student. However, it would definitely be possible that they wouldn't be approved the next year since you had to reapply each year.

We also had a HUGE fiasco because a local apartment complex advertised a move in deal and put on the ad that they were in our school zone. We were a k-8 and the way things worked out, they were in our zone for middle school, but not for elementary. So a lot of families with elementary kids moved into the complex and then later found out they were actually zoned for a different school.

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2012

Yes. I teach for a large, urban, inner city district in MD and there are no "neighborhood schools" due to our open enrollment/school choice option. We have hundreds of schools and the district provides most (over 90%) of all our kids in grades 6 to 12 with bus tickets so they can take the MTA bus to any school they want to attend. And although they like to use it as a threat, it's almost impossible to put a kid out and send them back to their neighborhood school.

This is a VERY fluid city where kids are constantly moving from one neighborhood to another or from one family member's home to another. In grade K-8, parents can choose to have their child transfer throughout the school year and except for the few (very few) high performing schools, you can't turn them down. I sometimes get kids transfering in as late as March, which is when the state test is given. It can be a headache for the child and for us to adjust. And personally, it makes no sense to me, but I understand the issues going on with the people where I teach.

For HS, my district uses a high school choice option. Outside of the 6 HS with entrance requirements (above a 70 MS avergae), all the other HS are open and thus, you get kids transering all the time. This can cause problems because sometime you have kids from one neighborhood going to school with kids from another neighborhood and they are always bringing the drama from the streets into school. Not to mention, like with all large districts, standards and classes vary greatly from school-to-school, so you never know what you're getting.

17. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

We don't have anyone come in after school starts on open enrollment, we do have kids move in (of course), but it isn't as much as some other schools I know of. Kids with siblings in our school/district are given preference and there is always a long waiting list. The good part is that the district gets more money for the extra kids. The bad part is that it makes the classes much larger.

18. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2012

Yes, and I open enroll my sons.