open ended art

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by irenebob80, Nov 11, 2006.

1. irenebob80

irenebob80 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

Hi ! I am new to this site and i was hoping that you other teachers could help me. I just had a review with my supervisor and she mentioned that i need to do more, "open ended art." I have looked on-line to find what it's about but can't find much. Any help would be great.
    Thanks
    irenebob80

3. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Nov 11, 2006

hmmm...now that term is new to me too. Anyone with a clue?

4. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Nov 11, 2006

To my knowledge it means that all their projects don't have to look all the same. Letting them free-form it instead of using a template that they all have to use. For example, we learned about owls instead of me having a specific art activity for them to do, let them create their own art work using the materials at hand.

5. ellen_a

ellen_a Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

From what I know of it, you're right. It would involve projects that do not involve tracers or pre-cut pieces and direct instruction of steps. Something like painting at an easel would be considered open-ended. I would imagine finger painting would be as well, maybe some sculpting with clay or play-dough, etc. You might consider allowing students to select the subjects of their artwork, though I'd imagine you could also impose some parameters (i.e. today we are all painting pictures of birds...).

Here's a site of possible interest...

http://www.preschoolbystormie.com/creativeart.htm

6. MUgrad1990

MUgrad1990 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

That is exactly what I think of when I hear "open ended art". We try to mix it up a bit by painting on the easel at will, or water colors, etc.

7. teachder

teachder Companion

Nov 11, 2006

we use to do open ended art last year...i just give the kids a whole bunch of different art materials and say make something...the art materials could tie in with your theme by being the color or shades of the color you are talking about, same with shapes-different sizes...or you could say make a house...some might make a house out of toothpicks or q-tips, or tougue depressors, or straws or they might even just paint or draw.

8. irenebob80

irenebob80 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

thanks for the help. . .i guess i do use a lot of pre-cut shapes. Well, if i am doing open ended art in my class can i still do the hand print turkey art project? I suppose of the children choose which colors they want?

9. Musicalgator

Musicalgator Companion

Nov 12, 2006

How about instead of just letting them choose the colors, let them decide how to make it (construction paper, paint, hand tracing/painting). That would be more open-ended. However, I would not rid myself of all other forms of art. There is a time and place for tracers and specific art activities that can show how well students follow directions and have control over some fine motor skills.

10. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 12, 2006

Process, not product.

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 12, 2006

I am very familiar with open ended art. It is a requirement for accreditation. It's really a lot of fun and much easier than using templates. You can still use your themes and give them an idea of what you want them to make. For example, to make an animal, Give them different things to print a body with, such as dish scrubbers, their own hand/palm prints, sponges, etc. Let them print as many as they want. Give them some wiggly eyes and instead of telling them to give their animal 2 eyes, let them glue as many as they want to on the picture. If it's a bird, provide feathers, if it's a fish, provide tiny wooden squares as scales, if it's a furry animal, give them bits of fur...but just let them create their own creatures. The other suggestion is to set out various material such as wood scraps, paper scraps, sticks, cotton, yarn, whatever else you can think of and set the glue on the table and let them go at it. The basic idea is to not use a pre-cut pattern. It's fun for a while, but be sure to use your patterns once in a while because in Kindergarten they do a lot of pattern work.

12. ssteacher

ssteacher Rookie

Nov 12, 2006

Check out the book "Young at Art" by Susan Striker.

13. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Nov 13, 2006

MaryAnn Kohl also has a ton of great process based books and some exerpts from the books on her website: http://www.brightring.com/

14. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Nov 13, 2006

Even if you have a template of sorts and some directions, you can still make it open ended by letting them make it how they want, giving them various materials to create it with, etc.

Things you want to stray from is anything that makes everyones project look the same or perfect. Kid art shouldn't be perfect, that's what makes it cute. Give them the basic directions, then the materials, and let them go to town.