Open Concpet/Pods

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Ms.P, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

Hi~

I will be teaching 4th grade next year (my first year). I'm very excited. One of my concerns is that the school is open concept. My "classroom" is really an area of a pod. There are four areas in the pod. There are no walls or even curtains. The areas are divided off by short bookshelves or computers. I was just wondering if anyone has taught in an open concept school. Is it distracting to the students (or the teacher) to hear all of the other classes?

Thanks.

3. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Jun 7, 2007

I'm not yet a teacher, but this is exactly how the school I went to growing up was. I can tell you, I didn't like it at all!! Hopefully you'll have a better set up, but it was soo distracting. Kids and teachers had to tromp through our space to get to the library, bathrooms, and multipurpose room. The one thing that sticks with me clearly is that it was always loud. I also had friends in other classes of the pod that I could see clearly, so we wasted a lot of time waving back and forth and just generally not paying attention.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 7, 2007

I'm in a small private school and my classroom is in the church basement. In that room we have the first grade, two second grades, two third grades, and the nurse's office. We're separated by tall partitions, but have no doors and the walls don't go all the way to the ceiling. We can't really see each other unless we walk by the doorways, but constantly hear each other. The noise can be incredibly distracting, but you get used to it. At the beginning of the year I was a nervous wreck about keeping my students quiet. Now, I'm much more used to it and don't worry as much, but there are definitely times during the day when the other classes are really loud and my kids get distracted and fidgety.

You can make it work, but it does take some effort and lots of reminders to the students.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jun 7, 2007

I'm in a school that was originally designed as a pod school but was converted to separate rooms about 20 years ago. So I've never taught in an area of a pod, but I'm stuck with the strange remnants of it. My classroom is connected to 3 other rooms and even though the walls are permanent, the soundproofing leaves much to be desired! I think the pod concept was a bad idea.

Do you know how many classes and students will be in your pod? How can you not even have curtains? I don't think I'd be able to concentrate even as a teacher, let alone a 4th grader!

6. Ms.P

Ms.P Rookie

Jun 7, 2007

I believe that there will be 3 classes in the pod - it was designed for 4 classes. There is a common area in the middle. And its designed so that classes travel through the common area to get to specials or recess so they won't be coming through my "classroom".

I was very surprised that the school was still open concept. When I was growing up, my school was open concept but it had been converted so there were thick wall dividers and it wasn't really an issue. I thought most schools had gone away from the open concept design.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 11, 2007

That would be a nightmare for me! My students get distracted when other kids noisily walk past our room--and I have four walls, a solid door, and a curtain over the window in the door.

If it were me, I would make sure that the lessons are short and able to grab and hold their attention. I would also make sure that my classroom supplies and personal belongings are fully secure.

8. Rivindei

Rivindei Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

I am currently teaching in a classroom that was once a part of a pod. I have no outside door and had to go through another classroom to have my students go to the restrooms, lunch, and specials. The partition walls do not help sound proof the rooms. I think we definitly distracted the other class while we were leaving. The other teacher didn't seem to mind us come through her room each day, but she's been in that room for at least 7 years. I don't think I would have liked the open concept atmosphere.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

This set-up would drive me nuts. I hate things going on around me when I am teaching. It just gets on my nerves.

10. mariah

mariah Rookie

Jun 12, 2007

I just finished my second year of teaching and taught first grade both years in an open concept school. It is all I've known so far, but I'm not a huge supporter of it. It is so loud! It is great to be able to easily get support from your coworkers, but the noise level is crazy. I felt like I was always asking my little ones to quiet down. Honestly, I was not too upset when life changes pushed me to change districts. I've seen my new room at my new school and the most exciting part for me was the door and the four walls!

11. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jun 12, 2007

I like our design much better! We have two classrooms that have an adjoining door. Last year my neighboring teacher left the door closed, but the year she left it open. We'd ask each other quick questions if needed, watchover eachother's classrooms if we'd need to take an emergancy bathroom break, and sometimes, if we were having a really bad day, we would walk up do eachothers doorways and whisper AHHHHH THEY ARE DRIVING ME CRAZYYY!!! Haha. :)