Oopsie!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by KinderCowgirl, Feb 15, 2014.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

So yesterday about mid-day the office buzzes me that "Johnny's" parents left a gift at the front desk for Valentine's Day. I send Johnny to go get it, he brings it back and hands it to me. It's a Wal-mart bag with a little stuffed bear and a heart-shaped box of candies. I say "for me?" and he nods his head. "Aw, that's sweet, thank you". And we go on with our day.

Well, I just got an e-mail from Johnny's mom saying that the present was actually for her son, not for me. Ooops! Luckily I didn't eat the candy or anything and can just return it, but that's a little embarrassing! :blush: Guess that's one less thank you for me to write. ;) Kind of ironic, we just read the book Somebody Loves You Mr. Hatch with a similar mistaken delivery.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

Funny! But Johnny's parents should have labeled the gift and should have given it to him AT HOME.:lol:

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2014

Don't get me started...

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Feb 15, 2014

And once the deed was done, the parents should just have bought the boy a new gift instead of getting it back from you.

6. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

We actually had more than a few parents walk in with balloons or flowers and then hand it to their kids. Maybe that's a new trend, I don't know.

I don't mind giving it back (glad it's still whole), I just wish it had been more clear. Obviously the student didn't understand either or he would have just put it in his backpack instead of handing it to me.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2014

School is not the place for this, IMO....what about the kids who don't get lavished at school with gifts from home?

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 15, 2014

I agree. And what do you do with a bunch of helium balloons all day? That's not distracting in the slightest, right? You should have seen the Kinder student trying to get on the bus with her bouquet of flowers. :rolleyes:. But what can you do? I don't feel comfortable saying you have to take those back home, but then again, I've never been very good at that.

9. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

To the OP: You should have kept the candy AND sent an email reply to little Johnny's parents to NEVER interrupt your class again. Taxpayers are paying for little Johnny's education and they expect results......... Little Johnny should be suspended for three days.....

(Just kidding ...... :lol::lol:)

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

Good thing it wasn't me. I would've eaten it already.

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 15, 2014

Yeah, I definitely would have eaten it before a correction could be made.:whistle:

12. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2014

That is an oops, but not your fault at all.

Deliveries for kids wouldn't happen at our school. Someone can't get by the office without checking in and the office staff wouldn't allow presents to be brought in for kids. Now, if the class was having a party, they might allow a parent with a balloon for each child, but they would be questioning if there were only one or two.

So sorry this is happening.

13. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 15, 2014

I don't think I would have said anything if I was the parent in this situation. I'd buy something small for my child instead. I'd be too embarrassed to ask for the gift back!

14. asha

asha Rookie

Feb 15, 2014

I have a feeling that school soon will start to have rules to eliminate those situations. I feel like it is not fare and also sad for other kids to see that little Jonny is getting special gift at school. Those parents should give those gifts at home. It is like they trying to show their love in front of everyone else.

15. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Feb 15, 2014

You should have seen the workroom at our school yesterday. It looked like an explosion of candy bouquets, stuffed bears, balloons and flowers. It was ridiculous, IMHO. I don't know a lot of 5th and 6th graders who appreciate rainbow colored roses. During the last 15 minutes of school, student council kids went around and gave notes to kids who had something sent to them. These kids went to the office, picked up their stuff, and waited in the hallway for the bell to ring.

I felt sorry for our secretary because she's the one who had to deal with all the crap.

Our school tried a few years ago to make it a policy that things couldn't be sent to schools, but parents pitched a fit about it.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 15, 2014

At my old school the hall was filled with flowers, stuffed animals, and balloons. Some kids got 4 or 5 things. They couldn't even pack them to the bus. It was crazy. They don't do that in my current school. It makes me happy to see that! We had cupcakes, cards, and treats to share, but that's easy to deal with.

17. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

A 1st grade student received a flower delivery from her parents. SO weird, IMO!

18. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

That mistake could have easily happened to anyone. They should have been clear about it, but really they should have given it to him at home.

19. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

Me too! I'd buy the kid another gift and pretend it never happened!

20. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Feb 16, 2014

So strange...I've never heard of deliveries for kids before.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

I went to a small school & you could buy flowers as a fundraiser for anyone in the school. They were carnations & delivered I think before lunch. It was fun to be able to send them! I sent some to my friends in high school & my neighbors in Elem. They thought it was neat!

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

I find any type of special deliveries to be entirely inappropriate, including fundraisers on Valentine's Day which are very popular here (Candygrams, Crush drinks, etc.). I couldn't believe how many flowers and balloons elementary kids had on Friday. Ridiculous.

23. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

We always had carnation sales in HS on Valentine's Day and Sweetest Day. We did mum sales for homecoming and some other event. (can't remember!)

24. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

Sorry, mom did a dumb thing. I would have eaten the candy!

25. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

Neither have I.

26. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 16, 2014

giraffe.... I know we did it a couple times a year... it was a big money maker that's for sure....

27. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

I think it's weird too. I know kids exchange their little cards and have parties, etc. But to me Valentine's Day just seems more for the adults-especially the gift-giving aspect of it. Giving gifts to significant others. I haven't even heard of friends who were parents give their kids gifts on Valentines at all. I know we never got gifts from our parents that day. Much less that it would occur to do it at school-I guess unless parents were separated and wouldn't see them that day.

Like I said, maybe it's a new trend.

28. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Feb 16, 2014

;) Well, I am trying to be good! I limited myself to one box and gave many of the others to the custodians and paras. The only reason I still have this one is I just brought the whole bag home.

29. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 16, 2014

Lots of students at my school (high school) get gifts and special deliveries for special occasions...you know, like three-day anniversaries and whatnot. :eyeroll: Some of the gifts come from their parents, but most come from other students.

Every day I see at least a handful of students walking around with about a million balloons, flowers, gift bags, candy oversized stuffed animals, and cupcakes or a sheetcake. Seriously, who wants to walk around carrying that stuff all day? And a sheetcake?! OMG. I would have been seriously annoyed if my friends at school had made me carry around a sheetcake all day on my birthday or if my boyfriend had made me carry around a life-size teddy bear on our two-month anniversary or something. Ugh.

I've tried to ask admin to put the kibosh on these sorts of things because they are a huge distraction, but admin doesn't seem to care too much. Sigh.

And for the record, in the situation described in the original post, I would have totally eaten all the candy before things were clarified.

30. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 16, 2014

I had a friend in high school who always got me balloons and presents for my birthday so I had to carry them around all day. Sometimes they fit in my locker but most of the time I was stuck with them until I went home on the bus. Then I had to deal with sitting with them on the bus!

I might not have eaten ALL the candy myself if a student gave it to me but I would have definitely opened it and shared it with my aides. A student came to school with a sack of Christmas candy before the winter break and we dove right into that! It just wouldn't have occurred to us that it wasn't meant for staff. Silly of us to think we are appreciated :rolleyes:

31. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 16, 2014

Me too!!!!!

32. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Feb 18, 2014

If chocolate was inside the heart-shaped box, it would've been polished off before the end of the day.

If anyone should feel embarrassed or silly about this mix-up, it's the parents!

33. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Feb 18, 2014

Another reason I love my inner city school...that would never happen. For the vast majority of my kids the little lollipop valentines my co-teacher and I gave out and the cupcakes we had Friday were the only Valentine's celebration/gifts they got. (Not saying kids shouldn't get anything but parents delivering their gifts to school has got to be the most ridiculous annoying thing I've ever heard of!)