Oops!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Aliceacc, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

I gave my 3 honors classes tests on Thursday. It was one of those days-- I had to leave school early to hit TWO doctor's appointments,and things were kind of crazy. So I did some grading in the parking lot before the first appointment, in the waiting room (FOR AN HOUR) before the second appointment, and in homeroom on Friday morning. I like to get tests back the next day if possible, and had no problem doing that. But my grading was done kind of all over the place.

You guessed it. I handed back 6th period's tests. On the way out, one of my kids mentioned that I had made a 2 point errror on her test. I went to correct it in my grade book, and realized that I had forgotten to record the grades for that class.:eek:

I put in a PM announcement asking 6th period to stop by my room on their way out. About 2/3 of the kids remembered. (The rest, I'm assuming, were too excited about Halloween and forgot. I'll get them in class on Monday.)

Anyone who has lost the test can take a makeup. No big deal.

But what a dumb mistake. I HATE when I do things like that!

3. catsos2

catsos2 Companion

Nov 1, 2008

Geez, can you just count the ones that come back? Or not count this test as a grade?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

Oh, they'll all get their tests back to me. They're good kids. And I need to count the test; it's not fair to all the kids who were good enough to stop by and show me grades, even bad ones.

It's just such a dumb mistake! After 23 years of doing this, wouldn't you think I would learn to pay attention to what I'm doing???

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 1, 2008

Well it's not like you didn't have anything else on your mind! Of course you made a mistake. I'll bet your kids understand. Think about it....you give them chances to make mistakes, such as with your homework policy (which by the way I have tweaked a bit to make mine); they'll probably think this is YOUR chance to make a mistake! :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2008

Oh, I make plenty of mistakes! And I joke about it and move on, just as I will with this one.

For them it's a non-event.

For me it's one of those "What was I THINKING???" moments.

7. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Nov 1, 2008

Ah, that stinks. But at least you caught the mistake quickly and were able to already get most of them back. Like Mrs. R said, everyone makes mistakes - and you're certainly entitled to yours! :)

8. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Nov 1, 2008

Oh my gosh Alice, I did the same freaking thing with my 4th block this week! Most everyone did horribly on the test so I retaught and retested, so maybe I'll just count the second test grade. I highly doubt all of my kids will bring their tests back, they are SO unbelievably unorganized! UGH.

9. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Nov 1, 2008

Alice, I did the same thing. I gave my kids the wrong DBQ yesterday, I couldn't find the other one I wanted to give and this one was too difficult for them to complete and to be honest wasn't a topic that is extremely important. So I'll be curving their scores becasue it was my mistake.

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 1, 2008

Ahhh the beauty of elementary teaching where the papers go home in a folder and are returned the next day! :) When I do this sort of thing (I haven't done the whole class, but I have done a make-up or two.) I am able to pick up the stack the next day and get the grade off it.

11. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Nov 1, 2008

I have done the same thing. I have also just plain lost tests. And I didn't have nearly as good of an excuse as you did! But I know the feeling. At least you have good kids so you can get the tests back:)