Oooops...they did it again!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by WindyCityGal606, Mar 9, 2010.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2010

Okay, I'm not going to lie...I have a difficult time dealing with long, meaningless meetings about planning more meetings. We had another one today and I'm so frustrated. We spend over 1 and 1/2 hours planning more meetings for when we will plan some more.

C'mon! Is it really that bad that we can't find a solution to a problem more efficiently? 12 teachers and the principal being paid $33/hr to sit around and make plans to make plans. ????
    Please tell me that I'm not alone in my frustrations and that others go through this type of nonsense at their schools. What is wrong with us? What is wrong with the principal who leads these ridiculous meetings? :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

Are your meetings ever absolutely pointless? Please tell me I'm not alone!
    Now, I will :banghead: (someone should make a beer drinking smiley)

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2010

I hate our department meetings. They take forever to get started, and most times are meaningless. I am with you on this one!

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2010

This is one thing I can say goes well in our school. Our meetings are once a month (unless something comes up) in the mornings. We get breakfast and they start on time and everything is relevent to what is going on.

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Mar 9, 2010

They won't hold us past 4:00 with out having to pay us so our meetings are pretty efficient. THANK goodness!

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2010

Lucky!

7. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Mar 9, 2010

Zoe, I can feel your pain! We seem to be inundated with meetings too. We have faculty meetings the 2nd and 4th Mondays. Then we have meetings for other things like curriculum planning, testing, etc... on alternate Mondays. It was especially bad last year and this year because we were in the process of being accredited.

The worst thing about our meetings is that the principal will ask for suggestions on a topic but will already have decided in her mind how she wants to handle it. It is a total waste of time discussing it when the whole discussion won't matter in the end!

I really love the school where I work and all of the people that I work with. I could just do without so many darn meetings.

8. WindyCityGal606

Mar 9, 2010

My principal does the same thing. She convinces us to sign up for this new focus group and then, once we've made a commitment, she changes it all into us just being people she can put on a roster to say she has a team but she's telling us how it's all going down....blah...not very democratic....we just sit their in bewilderment thinking how stupid we were to be conned so easily!

9. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 9, 2010

I have to say... I was at the school I'm at now as a student teacher a few years ago, I started in January, and our first day back we had a meeting after school... My CT said I could be excused from it (our actual first day back was a snow day, so I wasn't aware of the meeting until that day)... but I said I felt I should go just to get a taste of what things were like... so I went.

Well, there had just been funding given by the government for a new temporary position to help students with the need for social skills. The point of this meeting was to set up a schedule for this teacher.

I was SO frustrated through this meeting... all the K-2 teachers were going round and round in circles about how we couldn't possibly put together a schedule, because they didn't know what students would be going to see her... I wanted to just get a flip chart and organize them, but thought it best to just sit down and shut up.

Now that I'm a staff member, I tend to speak up a bit more when we're going around in circles, (along with another staff member, who was around then, but was just starting out as well... we have similar personalities that way) meetings are a lot more tolerable now.

10. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 9, 2010

Working on the SIPPA?

11. WindyCityGal606

Mar 9, 2010

Yep Turtle...we are...LOL
    We finally figured out that we are mere pawns in her game...it stinks to be used and not be able to do anything about it. SIPPA is School Improvement Plan ...let's take a guess at what the extra P and A stand for...Pain in the A#@...? Anyone else wanna guess?

12. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 9, 2010

I should know- we just filled out the staff surveys like 2 weeks ago- shoot now I have to look it up cause I feel awful.

Apparently school improvement plan for advancing academic achievement - leave it to CPS to not even get an acronym right! (The website is down).

LSC elections are coming up too. I don't know how I feel about LSC's.

I do know that I'm worried about the budget cuts- love my school and job and don't want to go hunting again!

13. WindyCityGal606

Mar 9, 2010

I'm glad you've been somewhere you love. I remember you went through a rough patch a few years ago? I'm tenured so I'm good. Didn't you make tenure yet?

14. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Mar 10, 2010

I am tenured- but the cuts announced today might be deep and might knock out my program. Here's to hoping not! Lots of things apparently on the chopping block- full day K, Preschool, bilingual programs, some SPED programs, the list goes on.....
    We shall see!

15. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

I read the entire first post and yes, we have pointless meetings sometimes. Sometimes the points are valid but the forum is wrong but...what can you do?

Now, for the real reason I'm posting. There is such a smiley and If I remember, I'll post it later today.

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2010

My signature pretty well sums it up!

17. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

[​IMG]

As promised. It's not the one I remember but it'll do.​

18. WindyCityGal606

Mar 10, 2010

I love it! Thanks...now...how about one doing tequila shots? LOL

19. Securis

Securis Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

:spitwater:

Isn't that this one^.

20. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 11, 2010

Sometimes I like our meetings because they bring up things I hadn't thought about whether they are problems I haven't thought of or solutions I haven't thought of. At the same time, there are too many chefs in the kitchen and it ends up being unproductive. One thing that annoys me is when people suggest things that is going to cause someone ELSE on the staff a lot of extra work (particularly if they are suggesting another teacher) OR if they complain or suggest things that are so out in the left field with being a reasonable solution. For example: We just built a brand new school. One person doesn't like that there isn't enough of a running field for the little ones on the playground. I think that is a viable problem but pulling up one of the brand new playgrounds is not a viable solution. I could see other less cost effective solutions but the person went on and on about needing to get rid of one of the playgrounds. Do you really think a school is going to pay for that at this point? Nope. Yet I can go to any single department meeting and point out at least half a dozen comments or rantings that follow under one of these two categories.

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2010

I'm going to agree with Pain in the A#@. Incredibly useless since they aren't going to put any kids in special ed any more. Heaven forbid a sub-category doesn't make AYP, so let's get rid of all sub-categories.

Today's faculty meeting went on and on-from 3:00 to 4:30, and more than half could have been said in an e-mail.

We should have a contest to see who has to sit through the longest meeting--and it can't be a staff development meeting even though they can get pretty useless.

22. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 11, 2010

One problem with teachers and meetings is . . . the teachers!! We are 1) used to voicing our thoughts and opinions and
    2) used to being in charge!

Put us in one room and it can get weird!

Our meetings go pretty well though, I must say.

23. WindyCityGal606

Mar 11, 2010

I'd never looked at it that way. I think you've hit some insight here. Too many egos in one room.

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2010

Amen to that! And at our school, it's just a few that can't seem to just listen without putting in their "May I piggyback on that?" I hate that phrase because I know I'm just going to hear more of the same.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2010

Ours are HORRIBLE. So horrible I don't even want to discuss it. :dizzy:

26. WindyCityGal606

Jul 2, 2016

I revisited this thread today to see if any of us are still on A to Z and if anything has changed in our careers in the past 6 years regarding meetings. I am sad to say that we have even more meetings now but they are to horizontally and vertically align curriculum so we meet in teams instead of whole staff. The emails have taken the place of those meetings though and that can be a bit much to keep track of but at least you can scream at your computer in private! I used to get overwhelmed at the number of website links they used to email to us and tell us we were responsible for familiarizing ourselves with the content...RIGHT!!! Thank goodness they don't do that any more. But the emails...they still come in bucketloads!

27. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 4, 2016

I have meetings twice a week - every Wednesday and every Friday. I then have a morning team meeting (30 minutes) every second week and a committee meeting once a month. Meeting after school are usually 1 -1.5 hours long.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 15, 2016

We have lots of meetings, too. At least once a week (for all faculty, or just primary teachers, or a workshop, etc.) and then 2 grade-level meetings a week....As grade-level leader, I will often have extra meetings with other teachers as we coordinate and discuss ideas, etc. I also have a pod of students who receive support from our support services department, so I have lots of extra meetings for that as well.

29. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2016

As a campus we dont' have too many meetings that are unnecessary. Our principal is a no nonsense kind of person and if we don't have to meet then we don't. She also does virtual staff meetings were she sends us stuff in a power point. Love those!!!
    However my team meets every week even if we don't need to. And if for some reason we don't, we have a teacher who has a MAJOR fit. At some point they were required to meet and do minutes, send them to the principal. This happened long before I got there and we are still doing it in this grade level. There are some weeks we meet just for the sake of meeting. We might have one or two things on the agenda that should be done in an email. We walk in sit and look at each other say a few things and then we spend the rest of the time just talking about nothing. I see the need to meet really once before the beginning of a six weeks to plan and make up our six weeks tests. We are given that time during a 1/2 day planning that our district gives us. But every week meeting just so that we can see we met is for the birds. I try really hard to not seem annoyed but occasionally I am not successful. I just wish that we would not allow one teacher to run our grade level. We don't have one specific lead teacher but it is obvious we give her that recognition. Even our principal has stated to other grade levels she doesn't know why we still meet once a week.
    It is sooooooooooo time consuming and frustrating.

30. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2016

We dismiss at 1:20 each and every Wednesday (we normally release students at 2:10). Since Wednesdays are minimum days, we use those afternoons for meetings.

Wednesday is my least favorite day of the week because I have to attend IEPs and SSTs.

31. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 16, 2016

My former principal generally kept herself to one hour long meeting a month, other than CLT meetings (aka sleep-with-my-eyes-open time)

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 18, 2016

I feel bad for you all. We generally have a teacher's meeting once a month. We have summer school now but haven' t had a meeting because we're waiting to get a new principal. Sometimes we have team meetings for an individual student but not too often. The worst is when I have a meeting that pulls me out of my classroom when the students are there. It seems the people who plan the meetings forget that I don't sit at my desk all day and do paperwork like they do.