ooohhh...Do you take snacks into the movie theater??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeacherSandra, Oct 5, 2008.

1. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

Absolutely!
    And, if it's wrong...I don't wanna be right!

2. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

We usually stop at the drugstore in the mall and get Junior Mints, but we spring for popcorn and a drink, which we share.

3. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Oct 6, 2008

We usually take our snacks in with us - just too expensive otherwise! Sometimes buy the popcorn, but my homemade popcorn is better! And it has real butter!

I don't think it is dishonest at all. Our theater does not state that you can't bring in your own stuff. We once took in huge Subway salads, once Nachos from Taco Time! Those were both a mess to eat in the dark.

4. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

:lol:

I never had the nerve to take in meals; but I do remember a friend telling me that they took hamburgers!! :lol:

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

I visited a suburb of Dallas, Texas where they had a restaurant attached to the theater. You ordered your food and took one of those order blinky machines with you into the movie so when your order was ready, it would light up and you could go get your food. When they were being especially kind, they would come find you in the dark theater to deliver your food. They just followed your blinky light. Strange...but true!! Full meals served in the movie theater. Yes...it was way overpriced!

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 6, 2008

wow; now, that's news to me! :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 6, 2008

I'm weird about ordering soda out. I read a survey about how dirty the ice was in the ice machines in fast food places, so I have to bring in my own soda.

Actually, I take snacks with me to a lot of places! Never can be too prepared for a snack emergency.

8. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 6, 2008

They are very strict on that but with a big purse, it can be done. I honestly don't do it anyway; I just eat and drink before or after the movies.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 6, 2008

How great!

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2008

yep! I've seen them fill up the ice maker with ice from a bucket...looks like one of those paint buckets too. ugh

11. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 7, 2008

I worked at a fast food restraunt for over 8 years and we used buckets. They are special buckets sold just for ice, and only used for ice. With regulations from our Food Administration, the ice buckets had to be sanitized before each use. Now, I don't know about other states or businesses... but I do know that we followed those guidelines to a T.

12. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Oct 7, 2008

If I am bringing my kids, I'll usually bring a granola bar or some other healthier snack for the kids because I don't want them to load up on too much sugar. When its just my husband and I, we usually order a popcorn and big pop to share. I can understand needing to make a profit to keep the business going, but my sister also runs concessions all summer for our City Pool, and they make A LOT of money (paid for their daughter's college education) charging much more reasonable rates - 75 cents for candy bars, 2.00 for hot dogs, 2.00 for pretzels/cheese, 1.00, 1.50 and 2.00 for snow cones (different sizes). In the course of just 2 months per year, they were able to pay for all of my niece's college tuition and room and board. So, I think the theatres could come down a little on their food prices and still make a killing. Just my 2 cents worth.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 7, 2008

I think they'd sell more if their rates came down. It's just too expensive to pay for a movie ticket and then snacks.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 7, 2008

It's funny hubby & I went to 2 movies last week!!! I think the first time in a LOOOONG time. Anyway our local place is cheap!!! LOVE going there. We went to a place a little further & more expensive. I told him I think it was the first time I've been to the "big" movies without taking in some sort of snacks. LOL!!!

15. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2008

I agree. I wouldn't mind spending $1.50 on a plain hot dog; but come on...$3+ ????

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 7, 2008

HAHA!! Good thread. I have been guilty of this when I go with my mom. She takes her oversized purse and we put already popped popcorn in a big zip lock bag and buy candy from a dollar tree a big bag to share. We will then buy drinks but thats it. I hardly even think about it anymore. I try to eat supper or lunch before going to the movie so as not to be hungry. It is rare but we sometimes go to the drive in resturant, which depending on the vehicle can be uncomfortable. We took fastfood every time. My ex-boyfriend's truck was so uncomfortable to sit and relax during the movie. Plus, he could not wrap his arms around me or get close to me because of his gear shift and all were in the middle.

17. Mrs. C.H.

Mrs. C.H. Rookie

Oct 7, 2008

Yes. I take a larger purse and we take bottles of water and snacks from Target. I usually become so interested in the movie I don't bother to take my snacks out! My husband ends up eating them for me. That sounds so horrible that I plan ahead and take my big purse......

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 7, 2008

If I recall, the theatres in my area used to check peoples' bags after 9/11, but they've stopped for a long time now.

We have the nice, newer theatres, then there are still a couple of the old theatres that have been around for 20+ yrs that aren't as popular where I'm sure the ticket prices are great & they keep the movies in the theatres longer than the other theatres normally would, but then, everything's old, such as the seats & it probably smells a little. I haven't been in the old theatres since I was in HS. As bad as the economy is though, I'm sure more people are flocking more often to these old ones.

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 7, 2008

I take snacks. My friend always brings drinks because she doesn't drink coke products. But I usually buy popcorn.

In college, we would sneak in a flask of something to keep us warm. Teehee. Anyone ever do that?

20. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 8, 2008

Especially when you can go to the store and spend $1.50 for 8 hot dogs and $2.00 for hot dog buns. I wonder what they would do if you had a cookout in their parking lot!

21. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 8, 2008

Tailgate before the movie... LOL There ya go! Bring your own tinfoil to wrap your hotdog in so you can sneak it in your oversized purses. :)