Ooh, it really IS crunch time...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Delfina, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

I've been trying all summer to get a position somewhere... and earlier this summer I'd e-mailed every principal in three of my targeted school districts. I sent them my resume and a cover letter, and thought they'd disappeared into the ether because from most most I didn't get a response back...

Today I got a call from a principal that just had a last-minute kindergarten opening! She's not sure if she can interview me yet since I'm just starting my program (she has to check with HR), but I passed the content exam and am considered "Highly Qualified" under NCLB... she wants to interview me tomorrow, if possible! She's also going to try and convince them to let her hire me (if all goes well in the interview) because she needs to fill that position fast! I even made it very clear I didn't have experience in a formal classroom setting (because that's been one of my biggest hurdles) and she still wanted to talk to me.

Don't lose hope. And please, please, please, cross your fingers for me. :)

3. Tbug

Tbug Companion

Aug 21, 2007

That's great! Good luck, take a deep breath, and do your best! K is so much fun! I hope you get it! You're going to do great!

4. teach101

teach101 Companion

Aug 21, 2007

Best of luck!

Everyone out ther- just call. I called a school district about a job I am not qualified for and due to the last minute scramble I just had an interview with three principals all at once. I think I did great.

Crossing my fingers for both of us.

5. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Ooh, still haven't gotten a call back from the principal yet... she told me yesterday that the HR department doesn't open until 8:00 a.m. (so that she could verify whether she could hire me) and I haven't had a call back from her yet and it's 9:00 a.m. now. Should I call her or wait??

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

TAke a deep breath.

I know this is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you can think about now. But HR is busy with a bazillion things. So is the principal. For all you know, the head janitor just quit, the AC died, and there's a dead animal smell permeating the building.

Hang in there. This could be a long day for you.

Go find all those photographs you've been meaning to catalog and get started. Start your Christmas list. Write a letter to your college roommate. But don't call yet.

7. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 22, 2007

Good Luck!!!! I hope you get it

8. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Well, I'm at work, so I can't really do any of that stuff. :D

But thanks! It's so hard to keep it in perspective because, uh, I'm just thinking about me and really wanting this job. But yes, school starts on Monday, so she probably is working on a gazillion other things. And maybe more people quit in the district, too. So if I don't get this job, I'll be getting more calls. :D

Yes, that's me, thinking positive.

9. Big Shirley

Big Shirley Companion

Aug 22, 2007

You are doing a great job!

10. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Well, I called and left a message, telling her I would be willing to come in today, if need be, but I know she's superbusy.

Bleah.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

What program are you 'just starting'? Could this be the reason why you havent gotten many interviews?

12. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

I'm just starting my certification program and I *know* it's the reason I haven't gotten many interviews. Well, that and my advisors told me I could take the qualifying content exam and get my provisional cert and I didn't need the state content exam. One of the school districts I contacted was nice enough to let me know about THAT little requirement for NCLB and so I only took it two weeks ago. (And I passed.) So that's really most of the reason no one is talking to me til now.

One of my girlfriends, my husband and sister-in-law all became teachers out of similar (or the same, my husband was in it just three years ago) programs in the same situation I'm in. They, however, had better advisors adn NCLB has changed some of the rules since they started - even from just last year.

13. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

i'd say just do something else. i've been waiting to hear from all kinds of places on a job period. it really does suck to not be certified. but again, you said a key thing for us "uncerts"- schools are looking for lots of last minute people, so sometimes they are willing to "work with what they can get". just whisper a simple prayer, and if not this one, then that just means it wasn't meant, but it also means there is hope and another principal may be able to do the same thing for you-and more. well wishes to you...

i'm finding my 2 yr old niece is enough for me to keep my mind off pacing and constantly calling. they may get annoyed and might not wanna hired you even if they can. so hold your horses. but trust me, i KNOW. i wanna visit EVERY school i've applied to and call everyone on their home or cell phones to find out what in the world they're doing instead of reading my resume and cover letter and calling me! lol. it'll be fine.

14. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 22, 2007

Well, as it turns out, that district won't hire me. They only hire applicants that are completely done with their coursework and state certified.

Which is different than the story they told me at the job fair I went to, but oh well.

I still have my day job, but I really wanted to teach. At least now I know...

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 22, 2007

And you WILL teach if you want to badly enough.

Just maybe not in that district this year. But it will happen!

16. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

i agree w/ alice-not in that district. there are others. if it's in your heart, there's a way.

17. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Aug 22, 2007

try charters and private schools.... charters pay VERY close to the district and with the same benefits and they'd be happy to have a person CLOSE TO FINISHED. i wasn't even thinkin about a cert and they picked me up. so it's possible, it's out there. just try somewhere else. that door's closed, but there's that open window off in the corner u can get to.

18. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 22, 2007

How long will your cert. take? If it's only a year I wouldn't stress too bad, especially if you could get in their within a year. Catholic schools are an option. They have some leeway in their hiring process since it's not state funded. I taught 3 years out of my certification area in Catholic Schools. I took a few last minute jobs just to teach. They were not ideal, but most of us have to "do our time" and wait for our dream job. I graduated 8 years ago and only taught 5 of them and just landed my dream job this year. You've just gotta believe that all good things happen in time :2up:

19. Delfina

Delfina Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I'll have to relook at the charter schools and religious schools. I had talked with them (charter) before, but no openings at the time. I had kind of a moral issue working for religious schools since I'm agnostic, and on a couple of the schools (that had openings) they wanted you to be Christian, preferably that religion, and wanted to know about your congregation and family... soo... I can't really feel comfortable working at those schools.