Oobleeck/ Flubber

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Angela2006, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Angela2006

Angela2006 Rookie

Mar 6, 2006

Hey does anyone have the recipes for making oobleck or flubber? Really want to do it with my class. :confused:

3. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 6, 2006

We made oobleck last week. Two parts cornstarch and 1 part water. I put in green food coloring. The kids loved it

4. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 6, 2006

Ooblek is so cool! We do gloop to (mixture of water and borax mixed with white glue) and use them to look at states of matter. I saw the coolest thing on tv (would be great to do, but tough). They built a huge box (looked to be 20 feet or so long, about 2 feet wide and probably 6 inches deep) and filled it with ooblek. He stood in it, and of course sank to his ankles. Then he ran across (when you hit ooblek fast and hard the partcles don't move and it acts as a solid) the surface of the ooblek. It was really great! :D

5. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Mar 6, 2006

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Mar 7, 2006

If flubber is the same thing as Gak, them it's equal parts glue and shaving cream. To make it less sticky you can add a little more shaving cream at a time until you have the right consistancy.

7. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 7, 2006

We did Oobleck last week and I (like an idiot) mixed the food coloring in with my hand ... DUH ... I looked like Shrek for 2 days with my lovely green hand. Lesson to be learned - use rubber gloves or a stirring device :D

I would love to make a huge vat of oobleck and do the run across it!!!! FUN!!!!! We also left the oobleck to sit over the weekend and it of course hardened and I let them check out the difference in it. First liquidy, then more solid and sticky then dried out to a solid that was chalk like.

Have fun with it!

8. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 9, 2006

I've made the cornstarch & water mixture, but this is the first time I've seen it called Oobleck. How do you pronounce that? ew-bleck?

9. ViolaSwamp

ViolaSwamp Habitué

Mar 9, 2006

Hey Shrek...I mean Kim I hope you didn't have class picture day:D

If it makes you feel any better I'd done the same with a variety of recipes (and never learned once). When I was 12 I bleach tie dyed a colored T-shirt with bare hands (basically reverse tie dyed). Let's just say I had a nifty chemical burn.

I would LOVE to run across oobleck. Oh that would be SOOOO COOOL!:cool:

10. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 10, 2006

The reason we are calling it Oobleck (yes ew-bleck) is because of the Dr. Seuss book called Bartholomew and the Oobleck. Very cute story! And the Oobleck makes a great science experiment!

11. KimberlyBest

KimberlyBest Comrade

Mar 10, 2006

Nope, no pictures but my husband did take me out to a very nice restaurant that night and I had to hide my hand under the table all night!

Kimberly

12. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 13, 2006

I recently had to complete a "science fair" experiement. I made Oobleeck (minus the food coloring). I had three trials of each type of liquid. The first I used water as my liquid. The second I used apple juice. The final I used Mr. Bubbles's Bubbles. I wanted to see how the change in liquid effected the non-newtonian mixture. It was lots of fun. I looked at the mixtures over a week long period to see how they changed. The Bubble-Oobleeck was almost silly putty. The apple juice was sticky and became rancid after two days in a really cold house. The traditional Oobleeck just became harder to work with.
    I made Oobleeck before in school and at home for fun. I could never think of how to apply it in education untill a science class. We were learning about the Earth's structure. To show us how the asthenosphere is my teacher made Oobleeck. I'm going to do this with my fifth graders in April.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2006

hatima, that's incredibly cool! Everyone else, there's a bunch of nifty links on the asthenosphere that you can find through Google; the Wikipedia one is quick and straightforward.

14. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 14, 2006

I bought that Oobleck book over the weekend. We read half of it today (It's pretty long) and made our oobleck in the sensory table. The kids loved it. I had never put food coloring in it before. Thanks for the book suggestion!! Very cute!!

Oh, is the oobleck going to get moldy or gross in the sensory table if I try to leave it for a week or so? Our sensory table has a cover, but it's by no means air tight. Hopefully I can keep using it, just adding water when needed???

15. teacherkerry

teacherkerry Rookie

Mar 14, 2006

We used to make Flubber using Borax until our licensing agency sent out notices that Borax is toxic and is a respiratory irritant. Anyone using Borax should wear gloves and children should not handle it at all. Our preschoolers really enjoy the cornstarch and water mixture and despite it ending up everywhere we find it really easy to clean up with water.

16. Butterfly4

Butterfly4 Comrade

Mar 14, 2006

Yeah, we used cornstarch and water, and yes -a mess! I had a couple kids sling their hands today, it went everywhere! But, as you said, easy to clean up at least!!

17. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 15, 2006

TeacherGroupie, thanks. Thats what I thought when one of my teachers used the obleek as an example. It was so much fun and helped me understand how plate tectonics work.

18. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 15, 2006

Wow! I hadn't heard that on Borax and I use it each year. We will definitely be wearing gloves, etc with it from now on. We did an activity comparing soybean and milk glue a month or so ago. One of the kids left their bag over the weekend and "Oh Wow!" it was HORRIBLE that Monday!

19. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 20, 2006

oobleeck

{ I wanted to see how the change in liquid effected the non-newtonian mixture. }

I am so glad to see that someone else know it's a non-newtonian fluid. I said that at the science meeting that was setting up a lab on it and they just rolled their eyes at me like I was crazy.

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Mar 20, 2006

tina007
    hee! I was researching for my science project last semester and found that out. Then I was like cool! This past year at the elementary school one of the third graders included that obleek was a non-newtonian fluid. I was impressed at how much research she did.