Only one month left with my little man :(

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Jan 10, 2011.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

I really can't complain because I'm being paid for my entire maternity leave (except for like 3 days) and I've been off since October 23 and go back to work on Valentine's Day. But the idea of leaving him is already making me sad.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for preparing myself to leave him with the sitter? She's a wonderful woman and I'm glad she'll be taking care of him. But she isn't me...I love love love my days with Nicholas.

But I have to go back to work. We can't afford for me to stay home. And I will be home this summer with him. I just have to make it through 4 months and 7 days of work...

3. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2011

Hugs Leigh... my students were so interested in my babe that I hung pix up around the room. It was so cute because the students loved to see the pix & I would change them... that way I wasn't being interrupted about seeing pix they were just up.

I know when you get home you'll just want to be with him. Make sure you wash your hands arms & what not really good & even change your clothes. This is what I did because if there was "germs" hiding in places I didn't want to pass it to babe.

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 10, 2011

Just make every moment with him count when you get home in the afternoons. Try to bring home as little work as possible, and try to leave school issues at school. Let him be the peace you come home to!

Also, don't hesitate to say "no" to extra stuff at work. It's perfectly okay for you to put your son first.

You'll be okay, momma, and so will he!

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 10, 2011

I would start leaving him with the sitter for a little bit, just to practice the drop off, etc. Then go get him in an hour or two. Also, right before you go back, try having him stay at the sitter's for half day. This will not only prepare you, but it will prepare him and the sitter. This way you can talk with her/him about the day and make changes as needed.

Then, when you do go back to work, try to leave everything at school. When you are home, it is time with your little one!

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jan 10, 2011

Aw, leigh, I know it's hard...I agree with mopar, do some practice runs. Drop him off and go get a pedicure or something. Something that takes your mind off it.

I truly believe that while it's great to be home with kids, it also does a momma's physical and mental health good to be away. And makes the kiddos able to think and act on their own.

There's always nanny-cam if necessary!

7. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Jan 10, 2011

There is really no easy way to prepare yourself for this. I made it through the first day with the support of a lot of prayer. In all actuality, the thought of leaving my daughter was WAY worse than the actual leaving of her. Also, when you get to school you will get caught up in the excitement of being in school and with the kids. Their excitement at seeing you again and being with you will make you feel welcomed and loved. And do share pictures - the kids will love it and it will give you a captive audience to talk about your child. You'll find you have a lot more compassion and understanding for your students than before you had your own child.

Like Mopar said - when you leave school, leave school. Don't take your "work" home with you. Let work be work and home be home. You, your family, and your students will benefit more if you do this. You'll have to be creative in time management while at school and when you get busy work done, but it is possible.

Oh, and don't worry about missing the milestones, like walking, etc. They don't happen automatically and you won't miss them!

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Jan 10, 2011

Hugs Leigh.....I think it's a great idea if your nanny could spend a few hours with Nicholas while you run errands, in the morning or afternoon so she knows his schedule etc. That will help with the transition for you and Nicholas.