Online teacher certification programs

Discussion in 'Student & Preservice Teachers' started by nlh1228, Aug 27, 2007.

1. nlh1228

nlh1228 Rookie

Aug 27, 2007

Hello! I am looking into some of the online teacher certification programs. Has anyone had any experience with any of them? I am looking into Western Governors University right now because they offer an assessment based approach and cost effective. I have also looked at the University of Phoenix. I already have a Bachelors degree in Business Management but took a break while my children were young. I have been working as a paraprofessional for the last year to be sure this is where I want to go in a career change. I have worked with children in a home daycare and in schools for the last ten years and have gained alot of experience in child development and learning styles. I think this approach would work well for me but I want to be sure I am dealing with a reputable program. Any input or suggestions?

3. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I attend WGU I love it . It fits into my life right now, and it is not expensive. if you have any questions go on and ask there are a few of us on this site and we have no problem telling you about our lives at WGU..

4. jaruby

jaruby Companion

Aug 28, 2007

WGU is? I assume they are accredited correct? aprox how much $$$ and do they have a science program.

Link to WGU please:D

THANKS!!!

5. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 28, 2007

Western Governors University.. yes they are nationally accredited. and here is the link
    www.wgu.edu....
    you will find more info about tuition there... I like that you have to receive a grade of b or better to pass a class! on line education is hard work!:rolleyes:

6. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Aug 28, 2007

7. roamer

roamer Companion

Aug 28, 2007

I'm in an adult degree program through a local college, so I can't speak too much about the online programs. I can say, though, that when I was thinking about going back to school my brother recommended Western Governor's University. He works for the Federal Department of Education and he said that they have a good program that is recommended by the Dept of Ed.

8. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Aug 31, 2007

WGU is REGIONALLY accredited. I'm sorry, I just cringe when people get that wrong. Not that there is anything wrong with National accreditation.. but..well.. ya know.
    They also have NCATE accreditation. They are a fantastic school and I have learned so much. I researched for a long time. They were the most recommended by the education office on base. I can't wait to graduate! Any questions you might have, feel free to PM me :)

9. amina.hashim

amina.hashim New Member

Nov 19, 2007

I am in the same position as you are in. I have a Bachelors degree in Business Administration and I am looking at doing a Masters in Elementary Education / ECE. I have done alot of research on online programs that are accredited and approved in the state of Georgia. In my research I came accross alot of obstacles, when it came to Georgia Professional Standards approval of the program. If you are in Georgia I would advise you to make sure that the program that u intend to do is approved by GAPSC. I decided that I will go for University of Phoenix, although it is slighly more expensive but if you are looking at doing an online program it has to be the one that leads to certification and approved in the state of GA. Check out their website for approved programs at GAPSC.

Good luck