Online Schools/Degrees

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Jan 7, 2011.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 7, 2011

I have really been wanting to return to get my masters. Working two jobs right now has made that very difficult. I was looking into online classes and taking courses on campus during the summer. The only school I have looked into is University of Phoenix. They offer a Masters of Arts in Education with a concentration in Administration and Supervision or one in Education Leadership.

Does anyone know if this would actually increase my chances of ever becoming an assistant principal?

What other online schools are out there, that have good programs?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

Almost every college offers some classes online. The University of Phoenix is accredited, so it shouldn't make a difference if you get a degree from there or some place else. In all my interviews, I've never had an employer ask me where my degree was from or comment on where I got my degree...

I'm sure they looked, but it probably doesn't count for as much as experience and recommendations.

4. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Jan 8, 2011

I was also wondering about University of Phoenix. Has anyone here actually done coursework there?

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 8, 2011

I took a class for movement on the payscale...I know many of the teachers that I work with also took their Middle School classes there to get their endorsement. The classes were accepted!

6. DaveG

DaveG Companion

Jan 8, 2011

I would check thoroughly into their accreditation. For example, who are they accredited by? There are a number of accreditation agencies that only give accreditation to for-profit schools like University of Phoenix.

Check with your local district that credits from that university will be accepted and which accreditation agencies they accept. I know of people here in IL who had trouble with having their degree from Univ. of Phoenix being recognized in the past.

7. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

I received my bachelors online and I loved that method, also I have been working on my MA (Psychology) online as well.

I would check their creditability. I do not know in the education world, but in the business world alot of businesses look down on University of Phoenix. My mom does HR and they usually see that school as one that lets people slide by and people do not actually learn.

8. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 8, 2011

what can you use your masters in psychology for? I have alwsys found it interesting. Where are you taking your classes from?

9. Ruby2011MA

Ruby2011MA Rookie

Jan 8, 2011

Eventually I would like to do school counseling.. middle school, when the kids are going through all the changes... primarily focusing on self esteem.

I decided to go for Psychology and no a non traditional route because truthfully it is more marketable in case of not being able to find a job or decide it is not my career path.

I just decided to take a break on it and focus on finish up my teaching certificate. (Through ACP program, BA in Sociology) I have to teach 2-3 years before I am eligible to do school counseling.

10. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Jan 8, 2011

My M.Ed is from an online program at Liberty University. It is accredited through NCATE and never once did any interviewer even ask me about my program. They were more interested in the fact that I had my Masters and have experience teaching.

11. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 8, 2011

I have my B.S. in social psychology, but for counseling I I would have to take a counseling program. all the psychology courses don't work with ourdistricts. I'm here at UoP, but they only havetheone for leadership. that would only allow me to be a mentor. would I still havea pay increase?

12. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Jan 8, 2011

I am looking into Marygrove College, they have an online MAT.

13. nasirahc83

nasirahc83 Companion

Jan 8, 2011

I attended UoP but online is not for me right now so I transferred to traditional college.

14. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 8, 2011

I got my AA & BA from Thomas Edison State College (TESC) it is totaly online anda state college RA (Regionally accredited). The state of NJ had no problem with it for my teaching certs.

It is considered one of the "Big 3" in "Distance Learning" The other two are Excellsior College in NY and Charter Oak State College in Conn. all are RA.
    TESC has a •Master of Arts in Educational Leadership*
    *these programs require valid professional certifications and/or licenses.

I know a couple of people who have become principles after doing this program.

I need by License so I am looking into Western Governors University it is also RA and has Several education Masters programs.

If you are looking into distance learning here is a good site
    http://www.degreeinfo.com/forum.php

15. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 9, 2011

thank you.

16. tortega

tortega Rookie

Jan 9, 2011

I am attending Western Governors University and I really like it. It has national and regional accreditations. You pay by the term not by the class, during a term there is a minimal amount you are required to complete but there is no maximin. If you are really diligent and have prior knowledge you can accelerate through the program. But I think the best part is the fact that they are competency based. They have tasks that you are required to complete to show competency. If they are not exactly what they have asked you for they send it back with comments for you to fix. When you pass a task you can be confident that you know what you need to know. There is no averaging of assignments or slipping by. I think this makes their educational program very valuable.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 9, 2011

I LOVE online classes & bettter yet, COMPLETELY online programs. I have an MA in Education, which I didn't do online, but if it had been available at the time, I surely would have. I don't know which schools offer a distance learning grad program in education, but I'm planning to earn a 2nd Masters & I'm planning to do it ALL online. It's in the field of communication disorders & sciences. When I did my Speech-Language Pathology Asisstant program, it was all online & it was GREAT!

No employer should look at you negatively for taking online classes. They should in fact commend those who want to take on the responsibilities of juggling a full-time job & still want to be in school full-time too. So, that's really more hard work & dedication to do that than only being able to work part-time because you have to drive to scollege on certain other days.

18. DallasLady

DallasLady Rookie

Jan 10, 2011

You should see what the requirements are in your state for becoming an adminitrator. For example, I would like to become a school counselor here in Texas eventually. In order to get my counseling certificate, I have to complete an approved Masters of Counseling program. Though the University of Phoenix has a Masters of School Counseling, completion of that program is not approved by my state. Same thing for UofP's Administration program.

IMO, the best way to know how "accredited" an online school really is to is see if your state's Board of Education will grant a certificate to someone with a degree from that school and see if other colleges or universities accept their credits for transfer.