Online Reading Community

Discussion in 'General Education' started by bella84, Apr 27, 2018.

1. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2018

I am ready to do away with old-fashioned reading response notebooks for my reader's workshop next year. I'd like to move to something that is easy for me to manage and view and more engaging and meaningful for my students. I want something that can be accessed online through student chromebooks and something that functions like a social media community or blog that is only available to my class of students. I want my students to be able to write book reviews and share them with peers, as well as set goals and write reflections about their reading.

After some Google searches, I came across a few platforms. I can't decide which would be the best to try out, and I'm also not sure that there isn't some other platform out there that I'm missing. Has anyone here used any of these platforms? Do you recommend them? Are there others that you'd recommend? I teach 3rd and 4th grade, so I'm looking for something that would be appropriate for students in that age range.

I found:
    Reading Rewards - https://www.reading-rewards.com/
    Biblionasium - https://www.biblionasium.com/
    Bookopolis - https://bookopolis.com

I've also thought about just using EdModo, but I've never used it before, and it isn't reading-specific.

Thoughts?

3. Belch

Belch Companion

Jun 19, 2018

Sorry, but I don't get it. You open the library, give a few suggestions based upon the students interests and hope they manage to find the library.

I glanced through the reading rewards site that bella84 provided and... well, I just don't get it. You don't read to get smiley face stickers. You read because the world of literature offers... everything!

As for teachers being involved in what I read, I'm still not getting it. Sorry, but you probably won't approve, and I most certainly don't care if you approve.

Sorry. I just don't get it.

4. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 19, 2018

Perhaps I can help with your not getting it. In this post, Bella is simply asking for suggestions for online alternatives to conventional reading response notebooks. I think Reading Rewards was listed because it purports to provide a way for students to maintain interactive reading logs and allows them to write their own book reviews for others to view - seems like a great way to motivate everyone to read more! The sticker incentives are just one aspect of the program. Whether you approve or not is probably irrelevant - the OP is just looking for feedback from those who have used such programs.

nstructor and bella84 like this.
  5. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 19, 2018

I’m going to start by saying that I agree with you about the smiley face stickers. That’s why I’m not going with that website or anything like it and why I was asking if anyone knows of something better suited to my needs. I don’t want a program with rewards and games. I just want an online option for logging, writing about, and sharing about reading. I still haven’t found one, and I am still open to suggestions.

Don’t you teach high school? I’m not surprised you don’t get it. I’m asking for a third/fourth grade reading workshop. You probably don’t even know how a reading workshop runs, which is fine, since you’re a high school teacher. But, in elementary, teacher involvement in students’ reading during a reading workshop is highly important, as is writing about and sharing about what students have read. I’m looking for a way to make it more manageable, meaningful, and authentic. Just opening the library, giving a few suggestions, and hoping for the best would mean that I’m not doing my job as a teacher of reading. That’s just not how it works when you are teaching kids how to be readers.

No, I don’t need your approval, and you don’t need mine. I do understand, though, that I probably don’t understand a lot of things that go on in high school classrooms. I also know not to judge and be condescending towards those who teach in high schools and do things that I don’t understand because that’s not the world I live in. It’s their world. You might want to consider the reverse.

6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 19, 2018

Outstanding response! We could all learn a thing or two from your thoughtful approach. I like your style. Hopefully, you'll receive the help that you seek from those who get it.

bella84 likes this.
  7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2018

If you’re just looking for a secure site on which your students can post reading logs or book reviews, try Kidblog.

bella84 likes this.