Online Portfolios

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by Suburban Gal, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 21, 2009

As you know, I've been looking for ways to maximize my effectiveness in terms of getting hired and was wondering about online portfolios.

I read thatt eacher portfolios are a relatively new idea in the general education field and I assume putting them online is even newer.

One of the gals here pointed me to a website hosting company so I decided to take the plunge last night and throw together a quick online portfolio for myself. (Actually, it took me about 7 hours to do this. :haha:) My idea is to keep adding to it as I go along with my TEP (Teacher Education Program) and eventually add my POE, a sample lesson plan, etc.. . I'm going to put the web address on my résumé.

Do you think a portfolio is effective? And what about an online one? Are they anymore effective than a real, physical portfolio or one on CD? Your thoughs please.

Anyone else here consider doing an online portfolio?

3. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

SG,

I don;t have one online, but want to put one together. Which website did you use?

4. Suburban Gal

Feb 21, 2009

I used 1&1 Web Hosting Services and found it pretty easy once I figured out how it all works. I was actually having a lot of fun with it. (I was up til 5 AM once I started it.) It really isn't all that bad. They have 100s of templates to choose from, even some education ones, and it's basically all click and build. When you want to make changes after it's published, you just re-publish to see the changes. Pages are easy to add to and re-order. I think it's so easy a 5-year-old could do it. :lol:

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

I have one. I love it! Mine is through googlepages. But I don't think they're doing it anymore. I put my website on my resume, cover letter, and portfolio.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

Awesome idea! This will be my next project.

7. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 21, 2009

I will check them out. I am excited to get this going... And 5 am??? Wow, talk about determined!

8. Suburban Gal

Feb 21, 2009

Yeah, I checked GooglePages and they have a notice up that they've closed down. I was so glad to find 1&1.

Gotta do what you gotta do to get a job.

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2009

Googlepages has evolved into GoogleSites, which is a very nice service but not nearly as well suited to portfolio stuff.

I made mine with Wordpress. It's meant to be a blogging tool, but they also have "Pages" which comprise the bulk of my portfolio. And it's seriously free -- like you can really do stuff without signing up for any kind of "plan."

The good thing about an online portfolio is that anyone can access it without having it take up space on their desk. The bad thing is that most hirers are probably too busy to bother. I am working on putting together a paper portfolio to bring along on interviews, though I continue to put my web address on my resume in the hope that someone will come see how beautiful it is :D

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 26, 2009

I used an online portfolio. Under my resume header I had "Professional Website: http://www.afdfadffjk..."

I think it shows off tech skills (very important in my district).

My university gave each student server space to build a page, I used Dreamweaver.

But, now I use edublogs.org (free)

11. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Feb 26, 2009

Careful, ku - Edublogs started putting ugly ads on its free sites. I had started there, but that's why I exported the site to Wordpress. Take a look at your site when you're not logged in to check if you've been hit with ads.

12. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 26, 2009

I have been wanting to create an online portfolio for a while now but didn't know where to start.....thank you for the ideas.....I used googlesites since I already have an account with google....I am still messing around with it.....

Would any of you like to share your online portfolio so we can see different examples?