Online Portfolios.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by roseteacher12, May 9, 2010.

1. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 9, 2010

I am toying with the idea of creating an online portfolio. PCDiva gave me the idea in a previous post and recommended www.weebly.com to create it. However, I'm not really sure where to start, what to include etc. Does anyone have an online portfolio they would be willing to share? It can be sent to me privately if you don't want to post it. Thanks!!!

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

I would put your resume, cover letter, pictures of you teaching. Anything you would put in a regular portfolio or brochure.

4. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 9, 2010

I have a free website/e-portfolio on google. I tried 3-4 other sites before I settled w/ google. It is the most user friendly - I was able to upload lesson plans, power-points and pictures. If you already have a gmail/google documents/picasa account it would be even easier.

Was it worth it, well I was chosen as one of 7 people to be interviewed just this week. (Finally!) The same day the superintendent called me, someone visited my website from that town. It is the only time someone from that town has visited my website. :D

Another benefit is that it can be a positive thing that pops up if the school googles you.

EDITED TO ADD: I just checked out weebly, it looks pretty user friendly. However I still highly recommend google websites, if you have a google account. It was so easy to just select documents/pictures that were already on my google account.

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 9, 2010

what exactly do I go to to use google?

6. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

May 9, 2010

I used google sites as well. I'll message you the link to mine--- it landed me my job!

7. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

May 9, 2010

If you wouldn't mind, I would love to see the link too. Thanks!

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 9, 2010

I respectively disagree.

If it were just the portfolio, we wouldn't have or need a jobseekers forum.

YOU got that job; the portfolio was merely one of the tools you used. Don't sell yourself short!

9. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 9, 2010

At first I was thinking that school being able to google you would be a good thing, but that also means everyone else (students, parents, etc.) could google you and that would come up...mine includes my address and cell phone number, not sure if I want others to have that but it is on my resume. I suppose if using google you can just take it down when you get the job.

Just something to think about!

10. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 10, 2010

Thanks, I already make sure that everything on my e-portfolio is added with the public in mind. I would actually love for a parent, or anyone to see my website (I won't link to it on here as it has my full name. :)) I don't even have an email listed on the website, just to be extra safe. There are no student pictures or assignment the website -I have signed permissions that would allow me to. But, I would rather be safe than sorry. I do have a plethora of information about my professional side, however I leave anything personal out.

I have a rare name, I happen to share this rare name with one elderly lady who likes to enter online contests. So I would rather parents pull up my portfolio. :D

11. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

May 10, 2010

I think my online portfolio, definitely helped me get my job. i quote from my first interview, where i was offer a job after 15 minutes. "We saw and were very impressed by your portfolio, We feel like we know you, we just wanted to make sure you lived up to your portfolio." Do I think it got me a job YES!!!. I will PM you the link, because it does have student photos and my personal contact info.

12. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 10, 2010

thanks Mrs. I;m about to check it out now-can;t wait!!!

13. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

May 10, 2010

Mrs Ski,
    would you mind PM'ing me with yours as well? No one around here really does these and I am wondering if i put one together if it might help me out. They didn't even teach this in our M.Ed classes, much less undergrad. :eek:hmy:

14. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 10, 2010

15. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 10, 2010

I tried Weebly and Google Sites, but eventually I settled for Webs.com. That site seems to have the most user friendly site designer, and has some really cute school related templates. I haven't tried to upload any documents yet, but I will be doing so in the near future.

16. CaliforniaGold

CaliforniaGold Rookie

May 11, 2010

Could I take a look at your e-portfolio too? It sounds like you did a fantastic job! Am I able to get the link?

17. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 11, 2010

've been working with weebly the past two days, i tried the google site but it was much more confusing to me!! I'm nowhere near done but so far so good!

18. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

May 11, 2010

Aliceacc,

Thank you, you are right. The portfolio was there to represent me, however, as the job is out of state and I only had a phone interview. It gave the school director an opportunity to get to know what I was all about before she talked to me and I feel that definitely helped!

19. ms.

ms. Comrade

May 11, 2010

I was just checking out weebly a bit more and I've been really impressed. I'm not to proud to admit it's better than google. :D

If I can upload my powerpoints I'm sold.

20. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

May 11, 2010

i havent gotten far with it yet but so far i'm really liking the layout and the easiness to add pictures.

21. mrsmyheight

mrsmyheight Rookie

May 16, 2010

I have toyed with the idea of creating a online portfolio for a few years now.

What sites do you use?
    What information do you include?
    Would be willing to share your online portfolio with me?

Thanks

22. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 16, 2010

Mrsmyheight,

There have been two sites that a lot of people seem to use: www.weebly.com and Google Pages. I'm currently using www.webs.com, and am very happy with what I've been able to come up with using their templates and editor.

I've just started my portfolio, and am still in the process of planning my site, and collecting/creating the content. So far, I have the following pages planned:
    Introduction Page - which gives a brief intro about my portfolio and what you will find on it (main page of my site)
    Bio Page - which discusses my background, what made me want to be a teacher, my main goals as a future teacher, etc.
    Resume Page - the text of the page itself will include very brief snippets of any experience that I've had with teaching or working with children. This page will also include my full resume in varying formats (pdf, doc, txt), letters of recommendation, as well as any evaluations from mentor teachers.
    Philosophy - This page will include my philosophies of education, of classroom management, and literacy development.
    Work Samples - This page includes any work that I've completed for my classes, as well as my favorite lessons that I've done through substitute teaching. Each piece of work will have a page to itself which will include a download link for any material that I've created, as well as a brief explanation of the lesson, and a reflection. If I have any pictures or video that relates, I will include those as well.
    Contact - This is a page where anyone who wishes to contact me can do so. I don't include my e-mail address or phone number, but if they fill out the form I have on the page, then I can reach them.

I'm still debating if I should create my portfolio to align with NCATE or INTASC standards, or with any standards at all. I'm also trying to figure out which pictures of students I can include on my portfolio (if any), and figure out any privacy issues with showing work that my students have created.

Also, I highly recommend reading Developing a Professional Teaching Portfolio: A Guide for Success 2nd ed. by Patricia Constantino and Marie De Lorenzo. This book shows many examples of online and paper-based portfolios, and describes the process of creating an effective portfolio clearly. This books is amazing and I am seriously considering buying a copy of my own.

Okay wow, that post was long. If anyone has ideas to add, please share! Also, if anyone has suggestions for my page, they would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

23. txteach2b

txteach2b Comrade

May 16, 2010

I've got mine up on Weebly, and I had absolutely no problem getting my PowerPoints up.

I also found a free online PDF converter & put all my docs on PDF for convenience.

24. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

May 17, 2010

What was the free online PDF converter...do you have a link?

25. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

May 17, 2010

Finally just started playing around with Weebly and I LOVE it so far!

txteach2b, would you mind if I took a peak at your portfolio?

26. suzerich

suzerich Companion

May 17, 2010

I would appreciate seeing online portfolios and brochures also. The only thing I've created right now is a card (playing card) that has my photo name, phone number, and on the back is my certification area, past jobs, etc. People have responded favorably to it at job fairs. It's playing card size, so is bigger than the regular business card, but it is also glossy and heavy on both sides. I use it for my Substitute card. I can show it to you if you want, just pm me, also pm links to portfolios/brochures. Thanks.

27. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Jul 8, 2010

Okay I'm sold on the online portfolio and I'm looking to start now.
    Time is running low though. I'd really appreciate it if anyone would like to PM me a link to theirs.
    Thanks!

28. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Jul 8, 2010

PHOTO PRIVACY
    If you're concerned about privacy when it comes to photos, you can always edit them. I personally use Picnik.com. You don't even need an account if you only have a few pictures you want to edit.

Upload your picture.
    Crop your picture as you wish.
    Click "Create"
    Then "Effects"
    Then scroll down to the "Area" section and choose "Focal Pixelate". You can place large or small pixelated circles on your photo to blur the faces of your students.

Then choose "Save and Share" and save your new picture so you can upload it to your portfolio.

CONTACT PRIVACY
    A lot of sites offer "contact forms" which allows a visitor to send you an email without revealing your personal information. It's a Submit/Clear type form that many websites use. It allows the person to add their name, email, subject, and message. Check into it.