Online Master's

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms_chandler, Apr 1, 2009.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 1, 2009

Here is my predicament:

I live 40 miles away from one college in New Orleans (where I got my undergrad) and 45 miles from another university. I work over the state line in a neighboring state, about 25 miles away. The school where I teach isn't by any university either. I have already completed 9 hrs. of graduate credit in summer school through the Writing Project. I'd like to finish my master's without just going summers, but realistically, I couldn't drive from work to a college in time. Online seems like the only option.

I'm old-fashioned and would rather a degree from a brick-and-mortar school and am seeking long-distance learning through one. The two colleges near me don't offer many online courses at all. Do you know of any university (a brick-and-mortar one) that offers an all-online degree?

I know that University of Phoenix is good, but it is quite expensive. Also, a colleague told me about Canyon College online (she's in the same exact predicament as me since we live in the same town and teach in the same town). Any suggestions?

THANKS! :)

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2009

I know a few people in my district who went through Walden University...I don't know if its a brick and mortar school though.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 1, 2009

A lot of state universitys offer online masters tailored towards working teachers.

5. seduflow

seduflow Companion

Apr 2, 2009

you want a school that is regionally accredited, University of Phoneix is not...therefore many schools will not accept.

6. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Unfortunately, the ones in my state (that I've checked so far) don't. THat is the problem. If one out of state does, I'd have to pay out of state fees. :(

7. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Check out WGU its a private school, but you dont pay for it like a private school. Its MUCH cheaper. I got my BA from them and had a great experience. They are also nationally accredited - check with your DOE as to what accreditation they are looking for.

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Apr 2, 2009

walden is a brick and mortar school...

9. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 2, 2009

You could also check out Liberty University. I have my undergrad from there and am now doing my M.Ed all online.

10. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

Thank you, everyone, for all of the helpful advice. This has really been stressing me out!

Any more advice is greatly appreciated. I will check out everything now.

11. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Apr 2, 2009

I am currently working on a masters from Walden, and it is working out great for me. I am almost half-way through my program already! Your situation sounds almost identical to mine!

12. Mommyserenity

Mommyserenity Devotee

Apr 2, 2009

I am half way done with my Master's at Liberty and I have loved it! The classes are very well done and the workload has been pretty even to handle with working and having a family. (I'm 33 with two small girls) Tuition isn't too bad either. You get 2 mini-semesters so classes swap out every 8 weeks. That allows you to get full 12 hrs of classes in per semester if you wish.

13. thechangingtabl

thechangingtabl Companion

Apr 4, 2009

Check out DELTA STATE UNIVERSITY (Mississippi). They have an online MS Ed in Elementary Education all online. They charge instate tuition for out of state residents. $247 per credit hour @ 30 hours.

Also, ARKANSAS STATE UNIVERSITY (AR) offers an MS in Education in Ed Theory & Process all online for $525 per class (10 classes) or $4950 flat fee. The classes are 5 weeks long with a week break inbetween classes.

Finally, look at LAMAR UNIVERSITY (Texas) for an MS Ed in Ed Leadership/Admin all online for $525 per class (10 classes) or $4950 flat fee. The classes are 5 weeks long with a week break inbetween classes.