Online Masters Program???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Miss JE, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jul 1, 2008

I wanted to look into online masters programs - does any one have any recommendations on which colleges/universities to go through (or not go through!)? Thanks! :)

3. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

I'm starting AIU in Aug. It's only 10 months, but quite expensive. A friend of mine completed it while being pregnant twice back to back, so I know I can do it.:lol:

4. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jul 1, 2008

What does AIU stand for? How much time are you expecting it to take you each week? Thanks for replying!

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2008

I just started my masters online through Walden University. So far I am very pleased with them!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

A couple of my friends are enrolled in a new online Master's program through Lamar University. It's really inexpensive compared to what I'm paying. The total program is less than $6000 (including materials).

I've not heard any complaints about it yet. It's an 18 month program.

http://www.lamar.edu/newsevents/articles/221_5981.htm

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 1, 2008

8. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

Here is a link for AIU. I wanted to go with Walden, but you can't beat 10 months for a masters. http://www.aiuonline.edu/
    I'm going to try to devote at least an hour or so to it nightly. I heard it was not too demanding, but again VERY expensive. I guess it just depends on whether you want to to a 10 or 18-24 month program.

9. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 1, 2008

I have decided on Walden unless something major changes my mind. I plan to fill out the application next week. The idea of finishing in 10 months at AIU sounds great, and actually the price isn't bad when you compare the price to 20 months, but they do not have the program I want. If I am going to put the time in, I definitely want it to be in an area I am interested in. I also know that Walden's online program is accepted by our ESC. I am sure there are those out there who have had bad experiences with Walden, but I haven't heard of anyone yet who has! There are teachers in my district currently going through Walden and they really like the setup!

10. January_Violet

January_Violet Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

Capella University is a good choice.

UOP is a horrible choice.

11. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 2, 2008

I'm in Walden too and working on my first class. Smalltowngal and I are in the same program and I've had a great experience so far.

12. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Jul 2, 2008

I just started an online program in brain-based learning at Nova Southeastern. It's 14 months. Google it...called BrainSMART.

Pluses:
    --relevant and applicable topics so far
    --fairly inexpensive
    --you have a cohort that you go through the whole program with (meaning I'll have about 20 people that take the same classes with me all the way through...I really like this)
    --weekly online chat discussions (very fun!)
    --very structured, organized (I also like this part because open-ended things make me confused and nervous!)
    --prof is very good at communicating, responding quickly
    --it sounds cool when you tell people your doing brain research!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

I recently found Nova Southeastern University through http://www.teacher-degrees.com. Three colleges are on there with a 14-month online program to specifically help teachers out in earning their Master's degrees. The program I am likely going with is... Elementary Reading. :)

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 3, 2008

(Looks at Glitterfish's post above mine) ... Oh. Oh! Oh!!!!! :)

15. Miss JE

Miss JE Companion

Jul 3, 2008

Thanks so much for all this useful information! It looks like I have a few options to look into!

16. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Jul 3, 2008

WGU.edu
    I'm just finishing my BA there i know they have Masters programs.

17. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 3, 2008

Julie in GA and Smalltowngal-- who is your instructor? I am also just starting through Walden.

18. smalltowngal

Jul 4, 2008

Gerald Brong is mine.

19. dizzybri14

dizzybri14 Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Oh ok, thought maybe we were in the same class :) Mine is Karen Wiggins

20. smalltowngal

Jul 4, 2008

That's what I was hoping for! But I don't think I have anyone here in my class.

21. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Jul 5, 2008

How many hours a week are you currently devoting to coursework?

22. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 5, 2008

mine is dr. andrea kolkmeyer

23. smalltowngal

Jul 6, 2008

Seriously? Not that much. I probably spend about an hour total per day. That's for reading and responding to the discussion posts. This is only the first time so I'm sure that the farther I get into, the more time I'll spend.

24. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 6, 2008

I put about the dame in as smalltowngal. The. Purse readings really aren't all that bad.

25. Rugby1974

Rugby1974 Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Are there any Online Masters Programs (M.A.T., etc...) that may be universally accepted by most States for Initial teacher Certification for career changers who want to get into teaching? I know regional Accreditation is very important.

26. smalltowngal

Aug 28, 2008

You might want to check Walden. I believe they have a MAT program.

27. Ms Z

Ms Z Companion

Aug 28, 2008

28. FLBrit

FLBrit New Member

Apr 17, 2010

Glitterfish....
    I too am very interested in the BrainSMART degree program, but I would like some firsthand information about the program before I commit to spending $12K plus. Did you finish the program and get your degree? Did you find the classes useful? How time consuming was it? Any other info. you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

FLBrit

29. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Apr 17, 2010

I'm doing Walden University too. I really love it so far! I just started in March and I'm almost done with my first course. I have spent a lot of time online reading the discussions, but so far the workload isn't really that bad. I'm a little nervous for next semester because you have to take two courses at the same time (luckily it spans over summer break).

It's really affordable and I'm learning a lot!

30. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

Yes, I did finish the program and get my degree! It wasn't too time-consuming. I completed it in 14 months. You take one class at a time and you have 4 project/papers per class. You also have a weekly reading and/or website or video to view and a one-hour online chat with colleagues in the program to discuss these weekly assignments. I found that it was very doable while teaching and the program is meant to be done while teaching so the workload is not too heavy. For the weekly assignments, I usually spent just a few hours a week, including the chat. For the bigger paper/projects, I would spend all weekend, but that's because I procrastinated and put them off until the last minute instead of spreading them out throughout the weeks. It also really depends on your prof, many I had were really flexible on how you met the requirements, but I did have one prof who was really tough and that class ended up being a ton of work!

You also asked if the program has been useful for me and I have to say, not really. In my district, we are required to get our masters, so this was a convenient way for me to "jump through the hoops." As with any training in education, I often feel that experience is what really teaches you. While I definitely learned some things here and there and have used a few pieces in my teaching, there wasn't all that much information that was brand new to me. A lot of it was similar to my undergrad or the professional development I have done through our school district or on my own throughout the years. For me, it was more a matter of "jumping through the hoops," just something I felt that I had to do for my next step in the education field.

I did like the collegial feel of the program, especially the chats. I really connected to some of my peers in the program and we helped each other through, when we were getting really tired of writing papers at the end.

One other thing to keep in mind is that you do have to do an action research project throughout the program. You begin it around the same time you are taking your third class and have 1/2 a year to complete it. That was kind of a pain and a lot of work, but the professors really help you through it and make it doable. That goes for the whole program--there really is a ton of support so that you succeed.

Feel free to pm me if you have any further questions, and good luck! If I had a chance to do it all over again, I would choose BrainSMART because it was convenient, flexible, and fairly easy and I did find the coursework interesting, if not all that illuminating. It was, however, very expensive! Ughh.

31. Mrs Ski

Mrs Ski Companion

Apr 20, 2010

I am thirding WGU. They were very flexible around my life and family, reasonably priced, work at your own pace.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 21, 2010

Also, don't forget to check out the brick & morter schools. Some of them have completely online programs where you never have to set foot on campus. There's a CSU I know in CA that has a completely online 3-yr SLP grad program. That's the one I'm trying to get into.

33. Sagette

Sagette Companion

Apr 21, 2010

I am having a heck of a time finding an accredited online school that offers me what my lovely state (NY) will accept :rolleyes: I need two graduate level classes specifically for secondary (7-12) education from not only an accredited school, but the courses I take need to be acceptable to the school in their own education program. The problem in that most of the non-matriculated grad courses I can find are the professional development ones that are usually not accepted in the school's own ed program :mad: Waldon so far has 1 of the classes, but I can only take 1 reading class and the other classes are either K-12 or childhood education. I need these courses only so I can extend my certification to high school and I want to get them done ASAP, but I also need to work so the brick and mortar schools are out. I am so frustrated!