Online Masters anyone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Jun 8, 2013.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2013

Just curious if anyone is working on a Masters online and how it's going. I have my Masters Equivalency so I'll get Masters pay next year once my school board approves it (I've actually had it for a year now but we were without a contract for most of this year and Masters bumps will finally happen in Deb 2014), but I can't do "Masters plus..." with the equivalency to bump my pay. So, I'm thinking of possibly doing an online program, preferably cheaply, so that I can then add credits on to that when I'm done. I found a few online programs (Fort Hays, American College of Education, Lamar) that would cost me about $9,000 for the Masters.

Is anyone in these programs, or another one that is also on the inexpensive side? I know the quality of the classes with the all online schools aren't always great, but at this point, quick and non-expensive is my main criteria. I would see no extra salary pay until after I get the Masters and then pay for more classes on top of it, so if it's too costly of a program it's not really worth it.

Thanks for any advice or info you can share.

3. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jun 8, 2013

I did mine through Walden with another forum member. I'm not sure if she is still around these days. It was great and I would recommend Walden to anyone.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 8, 2013

I'm in a completely online Masters program. The university I'm taking it from is one of my state universities, so it's a brick & mortar school too. I began in 2011 & will graduate in 2014. The area of study is the very rigorous MS in communication disorders & sciences program.

I took several online college classes before at a few other schools & loved them. I don't need to sit in a room & see people face to face. Being there at the very end in the cap & gown is good enough for me. I may not even do that this time around since this is my 2nd grad degree I'm working on, so I know how the whole cap & gown thing feels already.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jun 8, 2013

I did my Masters with my credential at the same time online with National University. I think it's perfectly fine to get your Masters online.
    National's system is that you take one class in 1 month, so it's a little faster than taking 4-5 classes in a semester, because you can do 6 classes in 6 months (basically 1 semester).
    Our thesis class was modified, we didn't have to implement it and actually conduct the research, just propose it. It sounds easy, but it's not easy to write a 30-40 thesis paper in 3 weeks.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2013

I'm online but at a state school (Wright State). My courses are all over the computer, but if I need it, I can drive to campus and meet with my professors in person. It's the best of all worlds.

7. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 8, 2013

I added on my ESL certification on-line so I know it can be a lot of work compressed into a short time. I just have to decide if it's worth doing it just to be able to add on more credits later. Thanks for the feedback.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 8, 2013

Mine was online through a state university. Great program. I always hate when I hear about low quality online programs. :(

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 8, 2013

I'm considering obtaining my Masters in Education in Educational Technology Leadership. It is available online through a state university. I've also considered taking a one-year sabbatical to obtain my Master's degree in a "bricks and mortar" setting (or at least most of it). My main obstacle is cost, since our district/state no longer reimburses out of pocket educational costs, and the difference in pay is around $2000 per year.

10. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 8, 2013

That was mine as well. The boost is only $1000, and that's the reimbursement cap. However, I heard reimbursement was going away so I jumped in while I could. My parents decided to help me pay for grad school since my grandparents helped my dad pay for his first graduate degree.

11. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 8, 2013

Mar~

I am currently enrolled in Lamar's Online Master's Program and I love it. I am getting mine in Educational Technology Leadership, so pwhatley, you may want to check Lamar out. I have been recommending Lamar to others. One reason, I chose Lamar is because I know that it has a real brick & mortar campus in Beaumont, TX.

12. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 8, 2013

LOL, DHE - I'm considering NSU (Louisiana), because it's only about an hour away from my house!

13. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jun 8, 2013

I am also enrolled in a Lamar Online Master's program, Educational Administration/Leadership. It is a great program and I highly recommend it! I finish in August and I couldn't be more excited. I love the fact that you only take one class at a time and they are only 5 weeks long.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2013

I've never taken online classes. Even when I earned my Admin. Services Credential and Master's in Ed. Leadership, I took all my courses at a local (well, it's about 35 minutes away from home) Cal State University.

Personally, I like face-to-face instruction. I've heard that the CSUs are starting to offer lots and lots of online courses, though, which I'm sure work well for people.

15. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 9, 2013

Okay, so sounds like Lamar could be a good and less expensive choice for me. Just have to decide if it's worth it to do a whole Masters just to be able to add on credits to it afterwards. Thanks again for the feedback.

16. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2013

This is making me want to go to school again! I already have a Master's, but I've never got any extra pay because it's in Administration. Here, your Master's has to specifically be in teaching or some aspect of teaching to get any extra pay. When I was in Idaho there was a pay freeze the year I got it. I've considered getting another Master's because of this.

17. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2013

I did mine through Western Governor's for just over $3000 and in 9 months. The tuition is based on how long you take to finish it (it is designed for two years) but you can begin the next class as soon as you finish the one you're on. I loved it.

18. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2013

Wow-I'm going to look into this. There are a few programs that seem like they might work for me. Did you just do the work yourself and then take an assessment when you thought you were ready?

19. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 9, 2013

I have a friend who will complete her degree in Administration through University of Phoenix this month. I have no idea how much it has cost, but I know she constantly complained about the workload - and she only took one class at a time. I'm kind of old (and enough of a workaholic) to add too much to my workload at this time!

20. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2013

pwhatley,

I know someone who got their Master's through NSU and my girlfriend worked on Library Science cert through NSU. I looked into NSU and it would have taken me longer to finish than Lamar. I started last year in July and I will be finished in December; the whole course was 18 months. The courses at Lamar are only five weeks and we use templates which are very easy to follows. The professors and IAs (Instructional Associates) are very easy to work with.

I know someone who graduated in May with an online degree from Grand Canyon University.

lbradley~Congrats on finishing up in August. Best wishes to you.

Mar~I'm not sure what your degree is in, but there is a program for Principal Cert which takes 9 months to complete.

21. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2013

Yep, that's exactly how it works. If you pass the assessment you move on. If you don't, you have a phone meeting with the professor before you can take it again.

The final project is still a research paper/capstone project thingy but even that is done at your pace.

22. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 10, 2013

I took two classes this year, because the university gives you free tuition for having a student teacher.

The online format really didn't work for me. The classes were from a real, local university, but they were a joke.

Now I'm not sure what I want to do. I think I might get another student teacher in the spring, and wasting the opportunity to take classes seems silly, but the drive across town would take close to an hour one way (probably only 25 minutes coming home)... But our district hardly pays anything for extra credits, so I'm not willing to pay to take them anywhere else.

23. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 10, 2013

I'm considering taking a sabbatical for the 2014-15 school year to go ahead and knock out my Master's degree.